The Beta Force:  The Mystery of The Black Hand

The Beta Force: The Mystery of The Black Hand

A Story by Michael Gill

The Beta Force

The Mystery of The Black Hand

 

Chapter 1

 

            

The Beta Force was asked to come Detective Browns’ house on the evening of June 25.  When they asked what the emergency was he said he would explain once they were there.  After they had seated he began briefing them; “The Black Hand Killer is back!”  He told them bluntly.

            

“The what?”  Jinx asked in confusion.

            

“I think you mean “the who”.”  Techno corrected.

            

“Wasn’t that a name of a band?”  Shellshock asked.

            

“Guys!”  Boom Box bellowed, “Let’s focus!”

            

“As I was saying, back in the 90’s New York was plagued with a serial killer simply known as The Black Hand Killer.  The reason why he was dubbed this by the media was that he would leave a black imprint of his hand on the victim.”

            

“And they weren’t able to lift fingerprints from it?”  Green Defender asked him.

            

“No, in fact the Black Hand print was tested and the results came back as charcoal!”  Detective Brown answered, “The autopsy reports that came back on all the victims were the same…they were cooked from the inside out!”

            

“Talk about being roasted to death.”  Time-Out muttered, and the others gave her a discomforting look, “Sorry my bad.”

            

“So this means that we’re dealing with a killer who has the ability to heat up anything by touching it.”  Micro spoke up.     


“So it would seem, though we never did tell the media that people were…well, being roasted to death.”  Detective Brown nodded, “But the reason why I’m bringing this up now to you guys is because he’s back.”  He handed them a copy of todays’ newspaper which on the front page showed the headline:  “The Black Hand Killer is back!”


“Let me guess, you think he’s one of The 12?”  Long Yard asked.


“Yes, I do believe he is.” 


“There is one way to find out.”  Boom Box said as he got up, “We can ask Legion.”


“I wouldn’t bother doing that boss man.”  Long Yard told him.


“Why is that?”  Detective Brown asked.


“One of the things that Legion told me when I was working with him is that none of them know their true identities, they all call each other by number.  The only time they reveal who they are is when they come out of hiding and return to the crime scene.”


“I’ll give this to The 12 they are smart.”  Jinx commented.


“Well we’ve knocked one of them down and we got 11 more to go and we’re not going to do it by sitting here.”  Detector said getting up from his seat.


“My thoughts exactly.”  Green Defender agreed.


“I’ve talked it over with my commanding officer, and he’s allowing me to hand the case to you.”  Detective Brown handed the files to Boom Box, “They’ve secured the crime scene and are waiting for you to show up.”


“Green Defender, I want you to take Techno, Detector, Micro and Time-Out to the crime scene.”  Boom Box told him, “The rest of us will patrol the streets.”


“We’ll comb it with a find toothed comb.”  Micro blurted out.


“You’ll have to excuse him.”  Plantra apologized for him, “When I put him out on medical leave a couple of weeks ago he was watching Mel Brooks movies the whole time.”


“Just make sure he doesn’t use a giant comb will ya?”  Time-Out asked.


“Are you afraid that I might hurt myself?”  He asked her.


“No because I don’t want you to use mine.”  She said playing with her hair.


“Ugh!  Let’s go!”  Techno grabbed them by the arms and led them out of the house.


Chapter 2

 

            

Green Defender and his team stepped onto the crime scene and the two police men that were guarding it allowed them to enter and as soon as they came in they looked around the room.  They noticed that there was no forced entry, everything within the studio apartment was in place and nothing was knocked down or thrown down onto the floor.  “Everything seems to be in order.”  Detector said observantly.

            

“That remains to be seen.”  Green Defender told him.  “You all know your assignments’ let’s get this done.”  Green Defender searched the walls and other surfaces for finger prints as Techno scanned the room for traces of teleportation residue.  Micro shrunk down to microscopic size to see if there was any trace of DNA.  Detector searched the bathroom for any signs of clues if the killer had gone in there.  Within moments they were finished all reported that there was no clue to be found who The Black Hand Killer was.  “Let’s take the scanners back to The Beta House and see if our computers pick up anything, I wanna be as thorough as possible.”  The others nodded and they left the crime scene.

            

Plantra was ordered by Boom Box to go to the hospital where the body was taken to be given an autopsy.  She had never been in a morgue before and it gave her the willies!  As she walked into the room she was met by a man named Dr. Stratts, “Ah you must be Plantra do come in and don’t worry they won’t be getting up anytime soon.”  He said in a dark humorous tone.  He had short brown hair, Caucasian skin tone, and brown eyes and was in his late 40’s.

            

“It’s not the dead bodies that got me nervous, just the atmosphere in here.”  She countered, “It’s really cold in here.”

            

“Oh I see, I forgot that your abilities are that of plant life.”  Dr. Stratts apologized.

            

“I’ll just have to revert to human form for now.”  She said as she turned her skin from tree bark to her American Indian skin.

            

“Amazing, that was just a remarkable transformation!”  Dr. Stratts said in amazement.

            

“Well thanks…”  She blushed a bit, “Anything on the victim?”

             

“I took X-Rays and found nothing wrong but as I opened him up I found this.”  He showed her and as she looked she saw that everything in him was cooked inside and out!  “I’ve seen nothing like in my life!”

            

“Neither have I.”  She agreed, “Was there a hand imprint?”

            

“Yes there was.”  He answered as he folded the skin back into place and there it was a black handprint imbedded in the victims’ skin.  Plantra took out a scanner and began to scan the hand print.  “What are you doing?”

            

“This scanner will send my scans of the hand print back to the computer back at The Beta House.”  She told him.

            

“What do you hope to find?”

            

“Hopefully find out what kind of ability the killer has as well as the identity via fingerprints if there are any.”  She turned off the scanner, “Well time for me to head back to HQ.  Let’s hope the next time we meet won’t be in here.”

            

“Maybe next time I can treat you to coffee?”

            

“I prefer tea thanks, but yes that would be nice.”  She thanked him and left.

           


 

Chapter 3

 

            

The Beta Force returned to their headquarters which was called The Beta House and began to run a series of tests on the scans that they had made at the crime scene and autopsy.  The rest of the team that did not go to either went on patrol to see if they could catch the man or woman that was called The Black Hand Killer.  Within minutes the results all came back negative.  They all met in their Meeting Room to discuss their next move.  “I think its best we hit the streets, that way we can maybe catch the person in the act.”  Green Defender suggested.

            

“In case you haven’t noticed there are over three million people living here in New York!”  Aquatrina pointed out.

            

“Yeah I know but it’s better than sitting here talking about it.”  Green Defender argued.

            

“What I don’t understand is how the scanner didn’t pick up any prints.”  Plantra said in confusion.

            

“I can answer that.”  Techno spoke up.  “I ran some further tests on the hand print itself and it showed that the person of interest uses extreme heat that comes out of his hand to the point that it singes the print to keep him/her from being identified.”

            

“Maybe the person is someone who’s close to the case?”  Suggested Long Yard.

            

“You’re kidding right?”  Shellshock asked him in disbelief, “That’d be the last thing someone would do!”

            

“Or the first thing someone would do.”  Boom Box countered thoughtfully, “And it may good possibility.”  Just then the in house communicator beeped and it was Detective Brown calling, “Beta Force here go ahead Detective.”

            

“There have been three more bodies found in one apartment complex.”  Brown told them, “You may wanna get down here as you as you can.”  He then gave them the address.

            

“We’ll be there in a few moments.”  Green Defender assured him.

            

“The Black Hand Killer strikes again!”  Jinx said out loud, “I can see the headlines now!”

            

“And the sooner we catch him/her then we will see a new headline.”  Time-Out commented.  “The Beta Force saves the city…again!”



Chapter 4

 

            

The Black Hand reported in to see #1.  “I see you have been busy.”  #1 told him as he entered the penthouse.  “Brandy?”  #1 offered, but The Black Hand held up his hand in response.

            

“I’ll drink when each member of The Beta Force has been cooked inside-out by my hand!” 

            

“I see you prefer to be focused, that’s good.”  #1 took a drink from his glass.

            

“It’s what helped me get through school as well as mastering this power!”

            

“Well here’s to staying focused.”  #1 took another drink.  “Now are you sure you’re doing everything you can for The Beta Force to find you?”

            

“The last victim I killed scratched me…normally after killing her I would’ve cleaned her nails with bleach.”  Black Hand explained, “But since you want them to find me I left a bit of my DNA behind.”

            

“Excellent.  Then what is your plan after they find out who you really are?”  #1 asked him.

            

“I am sure that if I plan it right…I can kill them one by one.”

            

“And what if they come at you all at once…what then?”

            

“Then I shall be sure to kill as many of them as I can before being captured.”  He assured #1.

            

“Excellent!  Now be on your way, you have heroes to kill.”

            

“As you command #1.”  Black Hand bowed and left the penthouse.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 5

 

            

The Beta Force went to the crime scenes and made their scans of the bodies and the apartments and then returned to their headquarters and began running their tests once again.  Boom Box also had Techno do a check on the locations of the murders to see if there was a connection.

            

Dr. Stratts had called in to see if Plantra could come in and help with the autopsies and so she went.

            

Dr. Stratts was happy to see Plantra as she came into the room.  “Before we begin would you like a cup of tea?”  He offered her.

            

“Yes a cup of tea would be lovely.”  She answered thankfully as she accepted the cup from him.

            

“So tell me is there any leads yet?”  He asked.

            

“So far nothing, not that I could really tell you though.”

            

“Oh, how so?” 

            

“Yeah Boom Box and Green Defender have this rule that we can’t talk about the case until it’s completed.”  She explained to him.

            

“I see, well it’s best to be safe than sorry.”  He agreed, “Would you like another cup?”

            

“Yes that would be nice, thank you.”  She gave him the cup.

            

He walked over to a small table that had a coffee pot as well as a selection of various tea flavors.  As he prepared the cup of tea for her he also put in a small pill.  Once he was finished he walked over to her and gave her the cup as he smiled innocently.


 

Chapter 6

 

            

The rest of The Beta Force was in their headquarters running their scans when the results came in.  “DNA scans show that it is male, still waiting to see who that person is.”  Jinx reported.

            

“No need Jinx, I think I know who are killer is…Dr. Stratts!”  Techno broke in, “He owns the buildings that the murders took place!”

            

“And Plantra is with him!”  Time-Out cried out.

            

“We better warn her before it’s too late!”  Green Defender said in haste as he activated his communicator and noticed that Plantra was calling him, “Plantra you need to get out of there!  Dr. Stratts is…”

            

“This is Dr. Stratts, or you can call me The Black Hand.” 

            

“What have you done with Plantra?”  Green Defender asked him as he motioned Techno to begin tracing Plantras’ Changer.

            

“Nothing at the moment, I thought I would wait until you get here before I killed her.”  Black Hand said playfully.  “Go ahead and trace me to my location, I’ll be waiting.”

            

“He’s in Queens.”  Techno reported, “Not far from his hospital.”

            

“Let’s move it team!”  Boom Box commanded as they filed into their battle van.


 

Chapter 7

 

            

Plantra woke up to find herself tied up to a chair and blindfolded.  “Hello?  Is anyone there?”

            

“Don’t worry Plantra soon all of your friends will be here.”  Black Hand told her.

            

“Dr. Stratts?  So you’re the one they call The Black Hand.”

            

“How perceptive of you.”  He complimented her as he took off the blindfold.

            

“It all makes sense now, how else would you be able to get away with murder if you’re the one performing the autopsies.” 

            

“Give the girl a prize.”  Black Hand applauded.  “Yes that did help cover my tracks.  But that’s wasn’t the only reason.  You see I had to find some way to pay off my medical school loans and so I decided to start killing people for money.  Even though I would leave a handprint I would make sure that the skin was singed to the point where my fingerprints would never be found.  Within a matter of months my loans were paid off and the thrill of killing never got old I raised up enough money to buy places and make more money off of other people…some of them would soon become victims, but of course I placed other names on the property papers just in case.”

            

“I can’t believe someone like yourself who is supposed to help people would turn to a life of crime!”  Plantra cried.

            

“Trust me my dear the organization that I belong to have many others like myself whom no one would think of being a criminal.”  He told her.

            

“Who are they?”  She asked him.

            

“I honestly cannot say, you see we wear masks to cover up our true identities when we meet, only when we are about to go out into the field once again do we then unmask ourselves before the others.”  He looked at his watch, “You’re friends should be here any minute now.”  He placed the blindfold on her once again, “Now do try to ignore the screaming.”  He laughed hideously as he walked away.  As she heard him walk away she turned her arms into vines and began to slither out of the ropes.


 

Chapter 8

 

            

#1 was nervous, he knew for a fact The Black Hand would most likely fail, though he hoped that even if he did fail and was captured then hopefully he would kill some of the members of The Beta Force. 

            

He knew that if all of the others that would be sent out would fail then it would be up to him to kill off The Beta Force.  If that was the case then it was best for him to be ready, but first he needed to call a meeting for the remaining members of The 12.  He pressed a button to activate the monitors before him and there in each one with a mask over their faces and only their eyes showing he began to say, “It would appear that soon we will know whether or not Black Hand has succeeded or failed.  If he has failed is #10 ready?”

            

“I am #1.”  #10 answered.

            

“Then we shall wait until we have received word before you revealing yourself to us.”  He told her as then turned on another set of monitors.  “Let us watch the show.”


 

Chapter 9

 

            

The Beta Force approached the building with caution.  They knew that Black Hand was in there, with Plantra and was a very dangerous foe.  They went into the building one at a time until all of them were inside.  “Should we split up?”  Techno asked.

            

“No, with a killer like The Black Hand there’s no way I want anyone going on their own.”  Boom Box answered sternly and the others nodded in agreement.  He motioned them to follow him and they came into the center of the building where they saw Black Hand standing over Plantra who was in her tree bark form.

            

“Not another step!”  Black Hand warned them, “Or I’ll burn her up!”

            

“Let her go and turn yourself in Dr. Stratts!”  Green Defender demanded.

            

“You’re in no place to give demands.”  Black Hand countered, “It is you who will surrender.”

            

Out of the corner of his eye Boom Box saw Plantra hiding behind some crates and told him to go ahead and step forward.  He stepped forward and Black Hand placed his hand over “her” and she began to burn.

            

“Are you out of your mind?”  Shellshock asked him.

            

“Trust me; I know what I am doing.”  Boom Box assured him and the others.

            

“You’re a fool!  I have killed her!”  Black Hand declared.

            

“Are you sure about that?”  Boom Box asked him as vines shot out of the ground and ensnared the villain.

            

“What is the meaning of this?”  Black Hand demanded.

            

“You should’ve never turned your back on me.”  Plantra spoke up as she came out of hiding.

            

“Plantra you’re alive!”  Aquatrina screamed with glee!

            

“Yeah, I made a tree bark copy of myself and placed the blindfold over its eyes.”  She explained. 

            

“You may have tricked me, but you are a fool if you think these vines will hold me!”  He told them as he burned through them.

            

“Aquatrina!  Tidal wave now!”  Plantra told her.  Aquatrina nodded as she turned herself into her water form and flooded the room with a tidal wave that knocked down their foe.

            

“If you think a little bit of water will stop me then you’re sadly mistaken.”  He said as he got up.

            

“Nope just to slow you down long enough for me to do this.”  Techno told him as she blasted him with a freeze ray.  Black Hand was encased in ice, except for his head.  But they could see he was trying to free himself when they noticed his right hand beginning to melt through the ice.  Techno ran up to him and placed a glove over his hand.  “Oh no you don’t.”

            

“What is this…?”  He shuddered as he began to ask.

            

“A special glove that contains heat.”  Techno said proudly, “And you’ll be wearing it until you get to The Cell where you will be joining your good friend Legion.”

            

“A glove…stopped by a glove…”  Black Hand cried as he was carried away by Shellshock.

            

“It is the little things that count.”  Plantra commented.

            

“Yep, now that’s two down and ten to go.”  Aquatrina added as she and the others left.


 

Chapter 10

 

            

Numbers 1 through 10 watched the news as they saw The Black Hand being carried off by The Beta Force.

            

“Not one!  He didn’t even kill one!”  #5 complained.

            

“He had one of the greatest covers and everything and he still couldn’t get the job done!”  #4 added.

            

“However we are not finished my friends not by a long shot!”  #2 declared.

            

“#2 is correct is #10 ready?”  #1 asked.

            

“I am.”  She answered.

            

“State your name for the record.”  #8 told her.

            

“I am called Queen Widow!”  She told them as she took off her mask, and they could see was a woman in her mid-thirties.  “I and my black widows shall show that killing is only one way to attract The Beta Force.”

© 2013 Michael Gill


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

235 Views
Added on February 10, 2013
Last Updated on October 26, 2013

Author

Michael Gill
Michael Gill

Eugene, OR



About
I write Christian Sci-fi stories and am looking forward someday in getting them published for all who wish to read it. more..

Writing