The Continentals:  Hades' Maze of Death!

The Continentals: Hades' Maze of Death!

A Story by Michael Gill

The Continentals:

The Maze of Hades

 

Chapter 1

 

            It had been a week since Zendra and her team first arrived in Greece where they had defeated one member of the Greek gods; but there were many more to go.  They had made a small base of operations in a small fortress near the town where Spartan had come from.  After a week of quiet they met together to discuss their next move.  “I believe we should make Giant our next target.”  Red Coat spoke, “Either him or Ares.”

            “I don’t think taking out the two of them will really make a difference at this point.”  Zendra spoke up.

            “What do you mean?”  Gill-Girl asked.

            “As I told you before from the information that I gathered in our last mission; Zeus and the others are planning on bringing out more of their kind out of The Abyss, and only one of them has the power to do that.”

            “Hades;” Spartan volunteered to speak and Zendra nodded.  “So you think we should go after Hades next?”

            “Yes that would be the most logical enemy to take out.”  Mr. Sumo agreed.

            “The question is how?”  Blacksmith asked.

            As they were discussing their plans of attack, little did they know that they were being watched by Zeus and his brother Hades from their palace on Mt. Olympus.  “So, those mortals think that they can stop our plans from coming into fruition.”  Zeus uttered as they looked through the magic ball before them allowing them to see and hear The Continentals.  “And it would seem that you are their next target.”  He turned to his brother.

            “The fools.”  Hades growled, “Do they seriously think that they can destroy me?  The master of Death!”

            “Do you have a plan to get rid of them?”  Zeus asked him.

            “Of course I do my dear brother; I shall challenge them in my maze of death!”  Hades answered.

            “Ah yes, that would be a good way to get rid of our enemies.”  Zeus smiled evilly.

            “However, we must abide by the rules that we set many centuries ago; only two people shall enter at a time, and no one else may enter until either I am slain, or the two fools that enter are dead.”

            “Yes, this is true, but even if they do slay you my dear brother do try to take some with you.”

            “I shall kill them all!”  Hades declared, “Then I shall make them my new slaves of the undead!  I shall go now and announce to them my challenge.”  He took hold of his cloak of hellfire and spun around to teleport out of the room and then within seconds stood before The Continentals!

            “Hades is here!”  Spartan called out drawing his sword.  “You demon have made this place your grave yard!”

            “I am no here to fight but to offer a challenge!”  Hades informed them.

            “Wait!  Let’s hear him out.”  Zendra commanded and the others stood down.

            “Thank you my dear.”  Hades bowed in gratitude, “I am here to challenge you to have a chance to defeat me in battle, but only if you are able to perform one task.”

            “Notice he didn’t say ‘simple task’.”  Copy-Kat pointed out.

            “All you have to do is to find your way to me through my maze of death!”  Hades finished.

            “By no means!”  Spartan cried out, “No man or woman that has entered in there has ever survived.”

            “That might be true Spartan.”  Zendra nodded, “But as leader it is my decision and mine alone, I accept your challenge Hades.”

            “You can’t be serious!”  Spartan countered.

            “I am, and if I were you I would remember your place on this team.”  Zendra got in his face.

            “Forgive me, I forgot myself.”  Spartan backed down.

            “Forgiven, now where is this maze?”  Zendra asked Hades.

            “I’m sure your friend Spartan knows exactly where it is.”  Hades answered, “I look forward to seeing you in action.”  He once again spun around and teleported back to Mt. Olympus, “My brother it is done, they have accepted my challenge.”

            “Excellent, now we wait.”  Zeus said in a pleasing tone.


 

Chapter 2

 

            In Heaven The Dark-Rider looked into the well and saw what had just transpired.  “Zendra must be out of her mind!  But I also see that this may be the only way to take Hades out of the picture.”

            “I don’t see your logic behind what you had just said.”  Gabriel told him.

            “How do you mean?”  Dark-Rider asked him.

            “At first you sound that you’re against the idea of her going into the maze, but at the same time you feel it is the only option at the time therefore it is a good idea.”  The Angel explained.

            “I see you point.”  Dark-Rider let it sink in, “Though I don’t 100% completely agree with her decision, I do see that it is the only option for her to take.”

            “However as pointed out in their conversation with Hades, no man or woman that has entered in to the maze has ever came out alive.”  Michael brought up.

            “Even then, Zendra and the others have one thing that no else had…The Sword of Power.”  Dark-Rider reminded The Angels.  “But I have a feeling that she needs to know this.”

            “We can tell her, however if Zeus finds out that we have interfered…”  Gabriel began to say.

            “Let me worry about Zeus, I’ll distract him long enough while you are informing Zendra about what The Sword of Power can do for her.”  Dark-Rider informed them.

            “Very well we shall leave at once.”  Michael said as he and Gabriel opened up their wings and flew down to the earth.

            “I wonder what it’s like to fly with wings.”  Dark-Rider thought as he disappeared and went down to Mt. Olympus.


 

Chapter 3

 

            Zendra and her team approached the cave that led to The Maze of Death; when they saw what the entrance looked like Copy-Kat spoke up, “Of course the opening to the cave had to look like a skull.”

            “For once can you at least keep your opinions to yourself?”  Gill Girl asked her.

            “Ugh, here we go again.”  Mr. Sumo said as he put his right hand over his head.  “All you girls do is argue.”

            “Mr. Sumo is right, you two need to what the Americans call ‘Chill out’.”  Red Coat told them.

            Ignoring this entire scuttle Zendra turned to them and spoke:  “Spartan and I shall go in, while we are gone the rest of you shall stand guard here until we return or die.”

            “How will we know if you have died?”  Blacksmith asked her.

            “The Sword of Power will come back here.”  A voice came up from behind them and as they turned they say Michael who had answered the question and Gabriel.

            “What are two doing here?”  Zendra asked.

            “Dark-Rider felt as if that we should tell you of how to use The Sword of Power before you enter the maze.”  Gabriel answered and continued saying, “If it glows then you are going the right way, if it doesn’t it will be a wrong turn.”

            “Also you must defeat and send Hades back to The Abyss to prevent Zeus’ plans of bringing back his brothers and sisters from The Abyss.”  Michael spoke up.

            “That’s the plan.”  Zendra said as she unsheathed the sword.  “Anything else we need to know?”

            “Dark-Rider gives his best.”  Gabriel answered and they disappeared.

            “Well with that said, let us be on our way.”  Zendra told Spartan as they entered into the cave.

            “And now we wait.”  Blacksmith said as they all sat down and waited for their friends to return.

            Zeus and Hades were talking amongst each other when Dark-Rider appeared and said, “I’m not interrupting anything important am I?”

            “Dark-Rider!  What are you doing here?”  Zeus demanded.

            “I just wanted to stop by and check out the place.”  Dark-Rider answered as he looked around.  “Love what you’ve done with the place, did you decorate this yourself or did your mommy help you?”

            “You will pay for your insolence!”  Hades threated as he drew out his Hell-Fire Sword and thrust it into Dark-Riders’ chest! 

            “You forget I am here, but not really here.”  Dark-Rider told him, “Tsk, tsk, tsk, as a demon I figured you would’ve known this.  Or is occupying human body made you dumber?”

            “If you were here in your own body I would kill you!”  Hades threated him and withdrew the sword.

            “Promises, promises, oh wait do demons make or break them?”  Dark-Rider toyed with him.

            “Enough!”  Zeus bellowed, “State your business here or leave.”

            “I believe I struck a nerve.”  Dark-Rider admitted, “Very well, I figured I’d drop and introduce myself properly.”

            “Is that all?”  Zeus asked him.

            “No, I wanted to tell you that when I do come back and after I have sent Samhain back into The Abyss, and you’re still here by that time…I will personally send you back myself.”

            “Now looks who’s making promises.”  Hades chuckled. 

            “Unlike you…I keep my promises.”  Dark-Rider countered.

            “Is there anything else?”  Zeus asked.

            “Oh Hades may want to head back to his maze, for if I’m not mistaken he has company entering the cave entrance right about…now!”  Dark-Rider said pretending to look at a watch.

            Zeus looked through his viewing portal and saw that Zendra and Spartan had just entered and the two Angels leaving them.  “You were distracting us!”  Zeus accused.

            “Now would I go and do a thing like that?”  Dark-Rider asked rhetorically and laughed, “Why yes, yes I would.  Until next time morons!”  Dark-Rider said as he disappeared.

Chapter 3

 

            Zendra took the lead as her and Spartan walked through the cave as they journeyed deeper into the cave the light began to fade, however thanks to The Sword of Power they were able to see for it glowed strongly.  “So far so good.”  Zendra stated as she pointed the sword to the left and it died down its glow; she turned to the right and it glowed with power once again.  She nodded to towards the direction and continued on.  “So tell me have you lived in Greece all your life?”

            “Yes, I have never had the desire to leave; that is until a few days ago when Superior had sent the false gods to us.”  Spartan answered, “But instead of fleeing I stood and fought no matter how powerful they were, that was I first realized I was not an ordinary human.”

            “When you fought against Aries?”

            “Yes, he struck me with his axe; it knocked me down, however I barely felt the blow which would have cut any normal person in half!  I stood up and punched the false god in the jaw!  Which caused him to fall back a few feet, and that’s when I realized that I had strength beyond normal men.”

            “Well I think that strength and invulnerability will come in handy right now.”  Zendra said ominously.

            “Why do you say that?”  He asked her.

            “Don’t you hear something coming towards us?”  She motioned for him to listen and they could hear what was broken bones crunching onto the ground.

            “Sounds like bones…”  He started to say and drew his sword for they finally saw what an army of Skeleton Warriors was before them…!

            “Terrific!  Looks like Hades isn’t wasting his time!”  Zendra told him.

            “Then let’s say we bust some skulls!”

            “You took the words right out of my mouth!”  She agreed as they charged into battle.

           

 

            Hades watched as the two heroes charged the army of Skeleton Warriors through a demonic looking mirror.  The frame of the mirror was made of bones and faces of those whom had dared to enter the maze and met with death.  “They show no fear, how comforting.”  He said aloud as he watched.  “I wonder, does their courage come from themselves, or from the one whom imprisoned me and my siblings?”

            Hades wasn’t the only one watching the battle, for Dark-Rider too was watching from the well.  “Why do I feel like I’ve seen this part of the movie before?”

            “Excuse me?”  Gabriel asked in confusion.

            “I know this battle is real but it feels like I’m also watching one of my old Sci-Fi films that I used to watch a lot of when I was down there.”  Dark-Rider explained.

            “Oh, I see.”  Gabriel muttered.

            “But still the word typical comes to mind as I watch this, I mean Skeleton Warriors?”  Dark-Rider laughed.  “I could fight those things in my sleep, well that is if I could sleep.”

            “Do you not think they will defeat them?”  Michael asked him.

            “Oh I know they will it’s just that I ran that same scenario through The Simulator one time!  What will he throw out at them next?  Zombies?  Vampires?  Werewolves?  I think maybe Hades should throw in the towel…you do know what that means right?”  Both Angels nodded, “Okay just checking, now back to the action!”


 

Chapter 4

 

            The rest of The Continentals sat around to relax, yet remained anxious in wondering what was happening with their teammates.  “I hate The Waiting Game,” Copy-Kat spoke up to break the silence, “It’s worse than waiting for a guy to ask you out for The Prom.”

            “Then let us do something to pass the time.”  Dingo suggested.

            “Such as?”  Gill Girl asked him.

            “Well we’ve been a team for what, nearly a year now?”  Red Coat asked, “But yet we have not told each other of how we first found out about our abilities and how Zendra had come to find us.”

            “Then why don’t you start since you opened you suggested it.”  Cop-Kat challenged.

            “Very well, I was raised in a prominent British military family.  My father, grandfather and so on served in her Majesty’s Navy, and I too followed in their footsteps.  However prior to me leaving my parents had sent me to the finest schools in England and during my youth I found that I could turn invisible.  There were some blokes that would give me a hard time about my background and would beat me up on occasion.  One day I decided to use my ability to go into their room after they had been drinking after their latest win in Lacrosse.  I would make things move around the room and knocked stuff over.  When I had gotten their attention I told them I was the ghost of my great-grandfather and threatened to haunt them all for the rest of their lives if they didn’t stop picking on me.  Let’s just say they never crossed me ever again.

            “After I had finished my education I entered into Her Majesty’s Navy and since I had the advantage of my ability which I kept secret I joined recon specialist division.  I had the most successful missions for any time I was selected to scout ahead I would turn invisible after I was far enough from my group and would spot my target.  I would return and tell my unit and we’d strategize from there on how we would attack the enemy.  The day of my discharge I was reading through letters of different agencies that wanted to recruit me, and that’s when I met Zendra.”

            “Excuse me I’m looking for a man named, Robert James Smith IV?  Do you know where I can find him?”  She asked.

            “Look no further my Russian beauty for I am Robert James Smith IV!  And who do I owe the pleasure of meeting?”

            “My name is Zara, and I am happy to meet you.  Please forgive my directness, but it is urgent that I recruit you for an organization that I am recruiting for.”

            “And what organization might that be?” 

            “Have you ever heard of The Alpha Squad?”  She asked.

            “Why yes!  I have heard of them, but why would they want to recruit me?”

            “I know of your ability.”  She whispered and after seeing the look on his face, “Don’t worry I am here not to exploit you but to recruit you to join an international team of heroes to be a branch of The Alpha Squad.”

            “I see, and if I refuse?”

            “Then I shall take my leave and this meeting never happened.”  She said getting up.

            “Wait!  I’m not refusing, I mean, I didn’t refuse yet.”  He corrected himself.

            “I’ll be staying at this hotel, you can find me there.”  She handed him a card.

            “No need, I have already made up my mind, I accept your request for my services.”  He stood up and stuck out his hand.

            “Excellent!”  She took his hand and shook it, “You have three hours to say your good-byes and grab what you will need.  Then meet me here and we shall take our leave.”

            “Why so sudden?”  He asked in confusion.

            “You are not the only one I intend on recruiting.”  She told him as she left.

            After saying his goodbyes to his family and promised him that he would write when he could, he met up with Zara at their rendezvous point.  “I am here at your service my lady.”  He saluted and she tried not to laugh.

            “Very good, now follow me.”  They took a cab to the airport where a private jet awaited them and they got on board.  “You’re going to be my navigator.”  She told him as he sat in the co-pilots’ seat.

            “May I ask where we are going?”

            “Next stop Germany!”  She told him as they took off.


 

Chapter 5

 

            After nearly thirty minutes of battle Zendra and Spartan had finally defeated the army of Skeleton Warriors.  They stood there for a moment while they tried to catch their breathe.  “Now that…was a work out.”  Spartan mentioned.

            “Good thing I had all those sessions in The Simulator.”  Zendra said as she dusted off the sword.  “You ready?”

            “Yeah, let’s get moving.”  Spartan nodded and they continued their journey through the maze.  “I knew that this wasn’t going to be easy, but I’d never expected those things back there.”

            “I wonder what else Hades has in store for us?”  Zendra wondered.  No sooner than she said that, pairs of hands shot up from the ground and grabbed onto their ankles as zombies came up from the ground.”

            “You just had to ask didn’t you?”  Spartan asked in fierce as he cut himself free.

            “Dark-Rider always thought I had a big mouth.”  She answered sarcastically as she too freed herself.  “Oh where’s Blaze when we need her?”  Within seconds of her asking that fire shot out of the sword and burned up the zombies!  “Well I wasn’t expecting that.”

            “I wonder what else that sword can do?”  Spartan asked.

            “I’m sure we’ll find out later on, now let’s get moving!”  Zendra ordered.

            Dark-Rider looked through the well, “Even I didn’t know the sword could do that.”

            “But of course, The Sword of Power is an extension and amplifier of all of your abilities.”  Michael told him.

            “So that’s why each time I took hold of the sword when wearing the DNA collars and such that our abilities were restored.”  Dark-Rider said thoughtfully.

            “That is correct.”  Gabriel spoke up.

            “Well it seems like Zendra will be fine for a while so let’s check on the others.”  Dark-Rider told them as the image in the water changed to the remaining members of The Continentals.

 

Chapter 6

 

            “So who’s next?”  Copy-Kat asked.

            “I think that would be me.”  Blacksmith spoke up.  “I come from a long family line of blacksmiths, hence my code name.  My grandfather was part of the resistance of Hitler’s Nazi Germany and would make weapons for the resistance.  He was also the first one to create the War-Hammer armor and went by that name to protect the family and those within the resistance.  He also had joined up with Jacob Cagney when he was The Dark-Rider, and my father also did the same during Vietnam.  They would do secret missions for The CIA before Dark-Rider had found out that The Society had taken control of that organization.  After I had turned 18 I was given the privilege of finding out my true heritage and was given the opportunity of becoming the third in my family to wear the War-Hammer.  Since then I have protected Germany with my life as War-Hammer and have also upgraded the armor as well as expanded it in different versions.

            “After being War-Hammer for three years I was approached by Zendra to join her team.  I was in my workshop when she came in…”

            “Excuse me; I am looking for Johann Smitz?”

            “I am he, how can I help you?”

            “My name is Zara, I’ve been sent here by Jacob Cagney.”  She told him.

            “Have you now?”  He asked her, “And how can I help a long-time friend of the family?”

            “He has referred me to you, saying that you would be an excellent addition to my team.”  She answered him in a matter of fact tone.

            “What type of team would that be?”  He asked crossing his arms.

            “An International Hero team, which is called The Continentals.”  She told him, I was hoping you would join in and be our weapons expert as well as a team member.”

            “Well, I’ve always wanted to travel; I mean my father and his father before him was able to do so in their years as War-Hammer, I can’t see why I can’t either.”  He stuck out his hand, “I am proud to join your team.”

            “Excellent!”  She said as she shook hands with him, “How long will you need to pack up all your gear?”

            “At least a day, I do hope you have room in whatever you have for transportation.”

            “How much do you have?”  She asked him and he motioned to follow him into the back of the store which led to a warehouse hidden below.  As she looked around she saw that he several suits of armor, “I seem to understand.”

            “So you see I do have to find a way to get this out of here without being noticed.” 

            “I think that can be arranged.”  She pulled out a small device out of her coat, “This is called a Transporter Carrier!  For whatever it is attached to it will teleport to a location of our choosing.  All you have to do is put one on each of your belongings and your person and contact me when you are ready.”  She handed him a communicator.

            “I shall contact you within a day.”  He assured her.

            “Until then.”  She bowed and left.

            A day later he contacted her saying he was ready and within seconds he was in the cargo jet that she had acquired from The Alpha Squad.  “Welcome aboard, War-Hammer.”

            “Out of the armor you can call me Blacksmith.”  He told her.

            “Very well, allow me to introduce you to one of your teammates; this is Red Coat.”  And she told him of what he could do.

            “Wow, never met an invisible man before.” 

            “It will be an honor fight by your side.”  Red Coat bowed.

            “Shall we be on our way, we need to recruit two more people before we can go on our first mission and from what my sources say; time is of the essence.”

            “Where to next my lady?”  Red Coat asked as he strapped in.

            “To Australia.” 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 7

 

            Zendra and Spartan had been following the path before them as they continued on towards Hades throne room!  “You would think by now that Hades would’ve gotten the idea that it would take more than Skeleton Warriors and Zombies to stop us.”  Spartan said proudly.

            “I’m sure this is where Dark-Rider would be quoting from The Bible where it says ‘Pride come before the fall.’” 

            “What makes you say that?”  Spartan looked at her with curiosity.

            “That’s why!”  She pointed at the group of vampires.  “We don’t nor the time or energy for this!”  Zendra spat as she took the sword and shoved it into the ground!  The earth split in front of them down the middle and swallowed up all the of the vampires!  After the last vampire had fallen into the depths of the earth, the hole disappeared.  “Now shall we be on our way?”  She began walking forward again.

            “How did you know that would work?”

            “I didn’t, but I had faith in God that He would do as I prayed for Him to do as I plunged the sword into the earth.”

            “I see.” 

            “You find that hard to believe?”

            “No of course not, it’s just that, I’m still trying to take all of this in.”  He told her, “I never planned on using my abilities to help save the world or anything like that until last week when I fought off Ares and that Giant.”

            “At one time I thought I’d work on the side of good; that was until I met up with Dark-Rider and he showed me that being on the side of The Society was wrong.”

            “But, if you were with them now you would be on the ‘winning side’.”

            “That may be so, but then I wouldn’t be on this side of the fence where my Aunt is now.”  She pointed out to him.   “We getting closer the sword’s glow is getting stronger.”

           

 

            Zendra, Red Coat, and Black Smith landed the cargo jet on a small private runway.  Once they were out of the jet to stretch their legs, Zendra walked over to the front office of the runway that was called The Outback Express.  “G’Day mates!  How can I help you?”  The young man behind the desk greeted them.

            “Good Afternoon, I’m looking for a man named Lachlan Hunter?”  Zendra asked him.

            “That’d be me!”

            “I understand that you are the best tracker on this side of Outback?”

            “Well, I’d hate to brag.”  He gestured.

            “And it is to my understanding that you can drive any vehicle no matter how big or small?”

            “You wouldn’t be one them government recruiting types would ya?  I already told them I’m not interested in working with any government agency!”

            “No, I’m not but I am recruiting a team of internationals who have special skills.”  She said plainly.

            “Well it would for sure get me away from this dead end business my father started and left me.”  He said thoughtfully.  “Though I guess I could handle the books outside of the area.”

            “We could help you with that.”  Zendra offered.

            “Well then Miss…”

            “Zara.”

            “Miss Zara it looks like you got yourself a Chauffeur.”

            “Wonderful!  We’ll leave as soon as you are ready; we’re in that cargo jet right over there.”  She pointed to him.

            “I’ll be out there within the hour.”

            An hour later Lachlan approached them carrying only a small duffel bag of belongings.  “Shall we be on our way?”

            “Is that all you’re bringing with you?”  Zendra asked him.

            “Packed all that I needed.”  He answered simply.  He looked at all the crates that held all of the different armors.  “Blimey!  What you got in there?”

            “Suits of armor my friend.”  Blacksmith answered.

            “Well I just hope they don’t cost us any fuel.”  Lachlan stated.

            “Allow me to introduce you to the rest of the team so far, Red Coat, Blacksmith, and I am also known as Zendra, these are our code names, what shall we call you?”

            “Me?  Well I never really ever gave much thought to ever having a code name…but I remember the last fight I got into my friends said I fought like a wild dingo!  So how about I go by Dingo?”

            “Sounds good to us, now shall we be on our way?”  Zendra offered him the pilots’ seat and he sat down and looked at all the different controls and gave a confused look.  “Our vehicles may be some getting used to, but I’m sure you’ll manage.”

            “I’m sure I will, by the way what is it that I actually signed up for?”

            “I’ll tell you as we head to our next destination.”

            “Which is?”  He asked.

            “Japan.”

            “Crikey!  I’ve always wanted to go to the orient!”  He said cheerfully, “All you yanks in the back buckle up and leave the flying to me!  Land of the rising sun here we come!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 8

 

            The newly formed team landed in Japan four hours later, Dingo could hardly believe how fast the jet had gone.  “What you got in this thing?”  He asked Zendra.

            “Let’s just say the inventor likes to get to places in the fastest ways possible.”  She answered him with a wink.

            “Well remind me when I meet the bloke to congratulate him on giving me the greatest ride in my life!”

            “Oh I’ll do my best.”  She assured him, “Now we have back stage passes to meet are final recruit before I first mission.”  She led them into an arena with backstage passes around their neck.  They surrounded by fans of sumo wrestlers whom were shouting in Japanese cheering for their favorite wrestler.  “There he is!”  Zendra shouted and pointed to the man in traditional Japanese colors.  “He’s called ‘The Mountain’ in Japanese and if he wins today which he will, he will be given the title ‘Mr. Sumo’!”

            “I take it he’s like us?”  Red Coat asked her.

            “Yes, but let’s not make that public.”  Zendra warned him, “Now, let’s enjoy the show!”

            The two men bowed and got into their stance and within seconds the two giant men collided nearly causing a shockwave throughout the crowd.  They chopped at each other attempting to push the other out of the circle.  After seven grueling minutes The Mountain finally pushed him with all his might forcing him out of the circled and into a crowd of fans.  The Mountain walked up and helped his opponent up and raised his hand in respect.  Both men returned to the ring and bowed to one another.

            “Wow what sportsmanship!”  Red Coat applauded.

            “Indeed, now let’s head backstage.”  Zendra instructed.  They followed her through the crowd to the locker room area and were given access to the now Mr. Sumo’s room.  After they entered Zendra said, “Congratulations on your win Mr. Sumo.”  She bowed.

            “Thank you Zara-San.”  He bowed in return, “I’ll be ready in a moment, and though getting out of the arena without being seen and mobbed by adoring fans is going to be the hard part.”

            “I believe that won’t be a problem.”  Zendra told him as someone on the outside knocked on the door, “Are you expecting someone?”

            “No, you were the only ones’ with passes.”  Mr. Sumo answered.

            “Mountain, open up!”  A man’s voice shouted in Japanese.

            “Oh no, it’s my manager!”  Mr. Sumo said in fear, “He is upset I’m not renewing my contract and has no idea that I am leaving the business.”

            “Thankfully you don’t have to worry about going through the door.”  Zendra told him as she gave him a device that looked like a watch.  “On three we press the blue button together.”  She then nodded to the others to be ready as well, “One, two…three!”  The pressed the button and teleported to the jet as door busted open.  Within seconds they were inside the jet, “Dingo get us out of here!” 

            “You don’t have to tell me twice.”

            “Why were you afraid of your manager?”  Red Coat asked him as they strapped in.

            “I found out the same day that Zendra asked me to join her that my manager has been working for The Yacuza!  They wanted me to be their muscle as well as take a cut of my winnings.”

            “I see why you would want to leave!”  Dingo hollered back as he had the plane took off.  “What’s our next destination boss lady?”

            “It’s already in the computer, now that we’re in the air, join us in the back will ya?”  Zendra instructed and he followed her.  “You can move about freely.”  She told the others and they gathered around a table top computer, “We’re going to Norway where we will perform our first mission.”

            “Are we recruiting someone?”  Red Coat asked.

            “You could say that, but that’s after we rescue her.”  Zendra answered as she brought up a photo of a young girl with blonde hair and green eyes, “Meet Cora Darby, she was the youngest Norwegian girl to ever make the Olympics swim team…but as she was on her way there, her plane was destroyed, but that turns out to be a cover for The Society.  My source has found out that she had been taken back to her home country at a secret facility only known to The Society until now.  They have been experimenting on her to make her a weapon.  As she tried to escape she sent out a communique with the coordinates that are now in our navigational computer.”

            “How do you expect us to get in there?”  Red Coat asked.

            “There’s an unguarded storm drain that leads into the facility.  Dingo you’re the tracker so you’ll take point, followed by me, then Red Coat, Mr. Sumo and Blacksmith in his War-Hammer suit will bring up the rear.  Once we’re inside Red Coat shall turn invisible and head this direction to where Cora is being held.  The rest of us will head to the main control room and plant bombs. Once that is done, Red Coat will have retrieved the package and we’ll exit out of there and once we’re back here in the jet, we’ll blow the place up!”

            An hour later they were inside the storm drain.  “The tunnel splits in two here.”  Dingo announced to the group in a hushed tone.

            “That wasn’t on the schematics.”  Zendra pulled it up on her PDA.

            “No worries, we go left.”  Dingo pointed and walked to the left.

            “How can you tell Dingo-San?”  Mr. Sumo asked.

            “The air is fresher this way.”  Dingo answered.

            “How can you tell?  All I can smell is bloody urine and feces.”  Red Coat complained.

            “Part of my training was finding the freshest air in the foulest places mates.  Others and I were placed in the sewers of Sydney one day for training.  We had to navigate ourselves to a certain destination and if we came to up the wrong one there was an instructor telling us it was the wrong exit.  One thing you never forget is the smell of fresh air.  Ah here we are mates.”  He climbed up the ladder and pushed open the floor panel and looked around.  “All clear mates let’s move!”  He climbed out and the others filed out.

            “Red Coat head down that direction, that’ll lead you to Cora.”

            “I’ll meet you back in five minutes.”  He bowed as he turned himself invisible.

            “War-Hammer and Mr. Sumo will come with me.”  Zendra instructed, “Dingo you’ll stay here and await our return.” 

            “You can count on me.”  He assured her.

            Red Coat followed the path before him and passed quite a few guards in full gear as if they were ready for war.  “These guys mean business.”  He said to himself, and he communicated via texting to Zendra and the others of what he had found out so far.  Dingo texted back saying for him not worry about it.  He found the girl in a watery cage guarded by two men.  He tapped one on the shoulder, “What do you want?”  He asked the other guard.

            “What are you talking about?”  His fellow guard asked him back.

            “You tapped me on the shoulder.”  Guard 1 accused.

            “I did no such thing!”  Guard 2 defended himself.

            “But if you didn’t do it, and she didn’t do it…then who did?”  Guard 1 began to turn white as a white sheet with two eye holes came out of nowhere!  “Kill it!”  He shouted as he and the other guard began firing at Red Coat whom thanks to the Bio-Suit that was given to him made it feel like someone was trying to tickle him. 

            “You fools!”  He laughed at them, “You can’t kill someone who’s already dead.”  He then fired two stun bolts which knocked them out.  He stuffed the sheet into his pack and returned to being visible.  “Hang on in there mum, I’ll have you out of there in a moment.”  He grabbed the keys from the guard and unlocked the door and opened it.  “Follow me I’ll lead you to safety.”

            “Who are you?”  Cora asked.

            “The name’s Red Coat and I’ve been given the honor of freeing you.”  He bowed and took her hand.  “Shall we be on our way?” 

            “Wait!”  She protested, “We can’t leave him!”

            “Who?”

            “Him, he’s been here almost as long as me.”  She pointed out to him and Red Coat opened his door. 

            “Come on we don’t got all day!”  Red Coat told the man in the cell.  Who followed after them and they headed back to the rendezvous point.  As they approached Dingo who was admiring his work, with the guards that Red Coat had warned them about was hanging in a net.  “Wow, nice work!”

            “Thanks mates!”  Dingo tipped his hat and looked in the other direction where Zendra and the others were coming.  “What’s the hurry?”

            “We’ve planted the bombs, but there are too many guards for us to try to escape through the way we came.”  War-Hammer answered.

            “We’ll have to teleport.”  Zendra told them as they grabbed each other’s hands including the man who had a mask over his face and they teleported back to the jet.  “Dingo get us out of here!”

            “Right away!  Everyone buckle up and hang onto your hats!”  Dingo called back as he took the jet to the air.

            “Now that we’re safe we can unmask our mysterious guest.”  Zendra pulled off the mask and exclaimed, “Dark-Rider?  I thought you and the others were…”  She took him and kissed him as the others looked on in shock…and then she pulled back violently.  “You’re not Mike…you’re Dark Clone!”


 

Chapter 9

 

            Zendra and Spartan entered into the throne room of Hades, who sat on his throne applauding them.  As they looked around they saw that the room was made of brimstone and the torches smelled like burnt flesh.  “Bravo, bravo!  My congratulations to you both!  You are the first to ever make this far…too bad this is far as you will come.”

            “Don’t get too hopeful Hades, we’re not dead yet.”  Zendra countered.

            “True, true, however you will be dead, for no one who has battled me has ever lived, but has become a part of my army of the undead!”  He stood up from his throne and as he walked down the stairway a flaming demonic sword formed in his right hand.  “Now shall we begin?”

            “I’ll go first and then you follow.”  Zendra instructed as she stood ready with The Sword of Power.  Hades made the first move by coming from the right and Zendra blocked it and several other attacks until he kicked her with such force that it threw her against the nearest wall.  Spartan blocked Hades from going for the kill and began his own attack against the so called “Lord of Darkness”.  He forced Hades back a bit long enough for Zendra to regain herself and when he noticed she was ready to take over he back flipped to dodge an attack to allow Zendra to return to the fray. 

            “I see that you are taking turns in fighting against me, but that will prove to no avail.”  Hades taunted, “I have limitless energy while you mortals have limited.”  He forced her to where she facing her back to the throne, “I suggest you take a seat!”  He picked her up and threw her into the throne, “While kill off your friend.”  Hades advanced on Spartan who did his best to defend himself until Zendra could regain her composure from the latest attack and after a couple of minutes of near hits and misses Hades finally knocked Spartans’ sword out of his hand.  “Any last words mortal?”

            “Funny you should say that.”  Spartan jested.

            “Oh?  And why do you say that?”  Hades asked and he got his answer as The Sword of Power went right through him.

            “Tag!  You’re it!”  Zendra told him as she withdrew the sword out of him and black blood oozing from the wound.  “Give your master my regards.”  She swung the sword to deliver the fatal blow decapitating his demonic head and his body turned to ash.  Both her and Spartan huffed and puffed to catch their breath.

            “That wasn’t so hard now was it?”  Spartan asked her.

            “To tell you the truth…I could’ve sworn one of us would’ve been killed before he was.”

            “Well it’s good thing that didn’t happen.”

            “True, I would hate to kill you if you became part of the undead.”  She told him.

            “You seriously think that I would’ve died before you?”  He asked in surprise.

            “What?  You think I would’ve died first?”

            “I didn’t say that.”  He said in defense.

            “Not directly no, but this argument can wait until later.”  She concluded, “I don’t know about you by I want to take a bath.”  They made their way back out of the maze and rejoined the group.  The others hugged them after waiting for a long time to see if they would come back.  Once the small celebration ended it time for them head to back to base and make a report to the other teams what had happened.


 

Chapter 10

 

            Zeus watched his brothers’ final moments on earth and dismissed the viewing portal.  He looked at the others, “Hades has failed.”  He announced sadly, “But we have no time to mourn.”

            “But father your plan to bring the others…”  Ares argued.

            “Will have to wait my son.”  Zeus told him calmly, “Samhain has promised that he will bring the others from The Abyss but when and only when The Continentals have been defeated once and for all.”

            “Then I shall avenge my uncle!”  Ares swore.

            “No!  You shall do no such thing, I cannot afford to lose any more members of my family…we shall send the beasts to do our bidding.”

© 2013 Michael Gill


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
Added on March 27, 2013
Last Updated on March 27, 2013

Author

Michael Gill
Michael Gill

Eugene, OR



About
I write Christian Sci-fi stories and am looking forward someday in getting them published for all who wish to read it. more..

Writing