Buried in a Hundred Places

Buried in a Hundred Places

A Story by Rain
"

Just a story of the road, where I would write, then bury what I'd written in the earth near where it was written.

"

   

It is said that everyone has a skeleton or two in their closet. I have a graveyard in mine. Open my door, and the bones of years turning down wrong alleys will come rattling out and lay at your feet, like brittle branches of a tree slowly dying. The maps and designs of how those skeletons came to be, are buried in more than a hundred places through out my path. I began writing when I hopped my first freight train back in June of 1964.
 
I began burying my thoughts in that month, in that year. It was a fleeting thought which became a personal ritual. I wrote all of what I seen, felt, and experienced, then found a proper place to bury it. There was no thought of preserving it. I didn't find an air tight box, or anything to protect my restless ramblings, that was not my intent. My thoughts were to dig a hole, sometimes I would make it like a burial site, rigging a cross of sticks and weeds, scattering stones, to mark it.
 
But, many times it was just a hole dug with the edge of an empty can, papers folded tightly, shoved to the bottom, then just covered, with nothing to mark it's place. It was kind of my "Kilroy was here," scrawl, except in the ground, instead of on some filling station s**t house wall. Most of what I buried was written in some empty diner's corner booth, or under a bridge tressel, or under a  highway overpass. Most of it was crap, quickly scrawled notes about a bizarre or dangerous encounter from a guy who picked me up, or just the emotions felt being alone and hungry while in search of the unknown.
 
That's why I loved the boxcar. An open boxcar door was like a w***e standing in a doorway, or on the street corner, just waiting for the lonely sex starved salesman who just wanted to ride her out, just for a while. An like the w***e, you had a price to pay. There's no free rides on the road. My heart and soul is buried everywhere, in every state the path took me. I wish to hell I could go back and read my soul, once more. Somewhere out there I might have buried the secret to life. Some place, buried a half foot down in the soil, lies the decayed, decomposed, rotted remains of the dreams and schemes of a restless soul, that may hold the secret to what this whole damn thing is about.. and I buried it.
 
Sometimes, I do wonder what I wrote and left behind. Must have written something good, sometime. From the wild and straight RT 66, over and through the Colorado mountains, and State Rt 40, I suppose I have buried me in a hundred spots. My foolish thoughts will live forever in the earth of this country. That's something no published author can say. It is also fitting that my writing's decayed and melted back into the ground where I'm destined to do the same. Maybe someday my ashes will mix with the withered and forgotten feelings of the young man that once thought it profound to leave himself in the ground. Perhaps, someone will remember me, and that I once passed this way.
 
I don't know what comes after all this, I don't even know what any of this thing they call life is about. I just know that after all these years of living, I haven't learned a damn thing. Everything I've ever learned, I buried in the ground a long time ago.
 
 
 

© 2008 Rain


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

And I somehow missed this one? Can't believe I did not read this for one of your very first feedbacks you ever left for me, you told me about doing this. Sweetie, I am sure you have learned much in your lifetime and have shared so beautifully your lessons learned. Was just missing you in this place of familuarity. Hope you are doing well.

Hugs,
Lesa

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

And I somehow missed this one? Can't believe I did not read this for one of your very first feedbacks you ever left for me, you told me about doing this. Sweetie, I am sure you have learned much in your lifetime and have shared so beautifully your lessons learned. Was just missing you in this place of familuarity. Hope you are doing well.

Hugs,
Lesa

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great.
It's very interesting, to burry your secrets underground on pieces of paper... I'm impressed with the ending as well, it's a remarkable sigh of perception.

A.M.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow. I really loved this piece. It's written very well with plenty of detail without slowing down the flow. And dang, what an awesome way to immortalize yourself! That's cool-beyond-my-comprehenison. Great job.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

damn man this makes me want to go look for stuff and see what i can find. ever put any in texas?

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dust to dust, Rain. This is poetic in it's symbolism, and I love it! You are forever immortalized in your words, buried or not.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

perhaps the meaning of life is scattering pieces of yourself among the earth... leaving your mark behind for others to read, remember, and learn. A very cool thing you've done in your travels.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

430 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 8, 2008
Last Updated on December 22, 2008

Author

Rain
Rain

About
"Having lived a bit has altered my thoughts of this coming new year from all those that have come and gone. Life is so bizarre that in some ways, my diagnosis has been a blessing. "I'm not sure why.. more..

Writing
He is My Son He is My Son

A Story by Rain


The 50's The 50's

A Poem by Rain



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The "F" Word The "F" Word

A Story by Rain


when i was hip when i was hip

A Poem by Rain


this kinda blue this kinda blue

A Poem by Rain