Time

Time

A Poem by Rain
"

And how does your time go, today ?

"

     

I sit silently, watching the sand as it slips through the hour glass, each falling grain, a clanging lament of dreams yet reached..of bonds that have been broken, of memories faded.
I am beyond the ignorance of youth, yet short of the wisdom of age.
 Still, in the silence I hear the bell of time, a bell that chimes but once.
 
  It is a sound I have never heard before. It whispers a truth I cannot deny.
Time,
the great healer of wounds, the thief of our innocence, the first flower of spring, the last leaf of autumn.
 
You fool us when we are young. You whisper, " You will live forever."
You trick us into wasting our days, by shielding our ears from the chimes.
It is then, when the leaves begin to change their color, you shout..
"It is not a game! "
 
I damn you for your constant movement !
I damn you for fading the memories of my youth !
I damn you for the plans I saved for tomorrow !
I damn you for reminding me I am mortal !
 
No..I do not fear you, or your passing.
 
Oh, but alas..
I sit and watch the hour glass..

© 2008 Rain


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is magical, Rain...a true poem to reflect on life's mysteries, TIME.
This line was excellent:
"I am beyond the ignorance of youth, yet short of the wisdom of age.".......I hear that ;)

I think many can relate to this......brilliant job, my friend :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


11 of 11 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I enjoyed the end... nice flow, good rhyme.

This poem touched me... I am often lost in time.

"Time,
the great healer of wounds, the thief of our innocence, the first flower of spring, the last leaf of autumn."

I to "am beyond the ignorance of youth, yet short of the wisdom of age."

Posted 13 Years Ago


Interesting work..I am glad that I chose this one to read this eve..Time can be our friend or enemy whichever way we look at it..Sunflower

Posted 13 Years Ago


I remember reading this before, and as the days go by am reminded of how fleeting our lives really are. Yet thankful I have lived this long, when my own life could have been snuffed out many years ago by my own illness. I hope you are doing well yourself, and can continue to share with us your words of wisdom.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is a fantastic poem and I am glad I finally took the time to read it.
( I'm a bit behind in all my reading, not just yours)

Posted 14 Years Ago


I have seen many people use the hour glass as a metaphor for time since you have written this piece. I think shows the strenght in this piece is more than inspiring. Every stanza rings with truth, as so many go about their day wasting such precious time given to us on this planet. I love your work, and have much respect for you as a human being and a writer! This is another favorite! ~ Jude :-)

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is wonderful Ray and I think that EVERYONE can associate with this one. I need to go to my files because I have something very similar to this myself. Time .... What a mysterious thing. You have described it perfectly.

Hugs,
Lesa

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

In such measures we all can only know from day to day. Time slips by, suddenly our child has children and that child says, "It's OK, Grammy, I'll walk slow with you." holding my hand as I'm thinking I'm not really all that old but, aHHH... my body, my body, has seen time... One of the greatest things ever said to me was from an elderly person that lives in the building I do. He paints too as I, and he said, "it doesn't matter anymore about the end of time for me, I have had that decussion, but what you need to do is paint time. Paint time." So now, I 'Paint Time'. There are a few words missing here and there and I know that I will indeed be forever regretful for not taking the time to 'talk' to him more. Thank you Rain!!!! I must go talk to him today! - What a wonderful peace - (and I did not spell incorrectly)
Walk in beauty -

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Now you're talkin' my language! Time is such a fascinating concept.
Somehow, saying I really liked this does not do justice, but I did really like it. lol
I enjoyed every part, but the line: "Thief of our innocence" was absolutely brilliant!
I look forward to reading more.
Great write! Thank you
:)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Incredible! I agree with Rita in the sense that Time seemed to be personified in this poem and seemed to be some kind of powerful, tricky enemy. I could really feel the emotion in the narration. You definitely deserved to win the contest! :D

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

First of all, I have to say that I am impressed and I have a strange fondness for hourglasses.

Second of all, I love this. It seems true to me in so many ways. For me, it was as if time was personified as this devious, mysterious, clever, tricky character.

Isn't it? :)

Brilliant!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2864 Views
95 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 16 Libraries
Added on February 18, 2008
Last Updated on April 13, 2008

Author

Rain
Rain

About
"Having lived a bit has altered my thoughts of this coming new year from all those that have come and gone. Life is so bizarre that in some ways, my diagnosis has been a blessing. "I'm not sure why.. more..

Writing
He is My Son He is My Son

A Story by Rain


The 50's The 50's

A Poem by Rain



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Primitive Man Primitive Man

A Story by Rain