Time

Time

A Poem by Rain
"

And how does your time go, today ?

"

     

I sit silently, watching the sand as it slips through the hour glass, each falling grain, a clanging lament of dreams yet reached..of bonds that have been broken, of memories faded.
I am beyond the ignorance of youth, yet short of the wisdom of age.
 Still, in the silence I hear the bell of time, a bell that chimes but once.
 
  It is a sound I have never heard before. It whispers a truth I cannot deny.
Time,
the great healer of wounds, the thief of our innocence, the first flower of spring, the last leaf of autumn.
 
You fool us when we are young. You whisper, " You will live forever."
You trick us into wasting our days, by shielding our ears from the chimes.
It is then, when the leaves begin to change their color, you shout..
"It is not a game! "
 
I damn you for your constant movement !
I damn you for fading the memories of my youth !
I damn you for the plans I saved for tomorrow !
I damn you for reminding me I am mortal !
 
No..I do not fear you, or your passing.
 
Oh, but alas..
I sit and watch the hour glass..

© 2008 Rain


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is magical, Rain...a true poem to reflect on life's mysteries, TIME.
This line was excellent:
"I am beyond the ignorance of youth, yet short of the wisdom of age.".......I hear that ;)

I think many can relate to this......brilliant job, my friend :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


11 of 11 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Inspirational and beautiful. A respect, a fear, and a distaste for ol' Father Time as he draws his smile across the stretching shadows of our life. Beautiful................

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Often I feel this way, and then there are "times" when I am awake to the knowledge that time is an illusion, not real at all.

Great passionate write.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It isn't until we become aware of the passing of time that time itself begins to elude us. You have captured both the wastefulness of youth and of wistfulness of adults as they unintentionally squander away their time. Truly a heartfelt write.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rain, this says all of the things a ill person says to theirselves day after day. When young we feel like time passes so slow. Then for a time it seems to pass about right..bring on illness or old age and your inner being knows that each drop of that sand is like a bell tolling out the minutes one has left to live on this earth..I am disabled with neurocardiogenicsyncope and I too feel like this many times throughout my day..God bless..Valentine

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


This poem seems to me to be related to "Winter thoughts". Do I exaggerate if I say that the author might go through to some sort of the so called midlife crisis? This is something very frequently seen in this forum.

People usually rage about the loss of sex appeal, the acquaintance with alcohol and other addictive substances and so on. Your poem differs in the sense that you oppose some sort of manly outlook to it. Time I don't fear you, but if only I could��:

"I damn you for your constant movement !
I damn you for fading the memories of my youth !
I damn you for the plans I saved for tomorrow !
I damn you for reminding me I am mortal !"

This passage seems to be derived from a Shakespeare play. A powerful soliloquy about the unfairness of Nature! And yet, you seem to have already found your inner peace in "Winter thoughts". These two poems give, in general, a very interesting aspect of their author.


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wonderfully written;)
working my way from beginning to end I found myself quite captured within the truth and realizations of the "moment"
that grain of sand***
the so many moments that make up ones life and the battle with time and its wicked ways-
this is a great write!
ending with "Oh, but alas..I sit and watch the hour glass.." beautifully put:)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Spoken as a true Old Soul with insight from the dawning of man. It's like father-time reaching forward to give a hint to the next generation. I enjoyed it and though I'm pass the age of innocence I'll take it as a reminder... there is still a lot of living to do. Thanks for your words.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

my perspective on time changes dramatically as i get older. i truly am treasuring my time this weekend, my time for me, to do nothing and be fully alive doing so. to choose to not be productive for others and their agendas. timely message, my friend.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like this poem a lot... I have written about the passage of time, the loss of innocence and the frustration of confusing ideals. Great work!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Time is a b***h...sometimes. Sometimes time is good. I think just likes to mess with our heads. Great read. Good work my friend.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2864 Views
95 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 16 Libraries
Added on February 18, 2008
Last Updated on April 13, 2008

Author

Rain
Rain

About
"Having lived a bit has altered my thoughts of this coming new year from all those that have come and gone. Life is so bizarre that in some ways, my diagnosis has been a blessing. "I'm not sure why.. more..

Writing
He is My Son He is My Son

A Story by Rain


The 50's The 50's

A Poem by Rain



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Primitive Man Primitive Man

A Story by Rain