The Unforgettable Stranger

The Unforgettable Stranger

A Story by Rain
"

A chance meeting with a stunning woman.

"

   

Have you ever passed a woman on the street who was so stunningly beautiful you wanted to politely stop them and tell them...no secret hidden agenda...no subtle hustle, just letting them know their beauty was noticed? She was like seeing a breathtaking painting in an art gallery...I didn't need to own or possess her. I was just taken by her beauty. I found it difficult not to stare. 
She chose a seat on the bus where no-one could sit between us.
 
I smiled and said hi, and in the friendliest tone she returned the hello. I married a beautiful woman, so I seldom found myself intimidated around nice looking women, but this strange attractive woman actually caused me to be a little nervous. After our brief exchange, I thought that would be the end of the stranger says hello to stranger encounter,and began reading the newspaper I had just bought.
 
"Do you read, a lot?" She asked,with a smile.
 
  "Only if its news about the end of the world," I said with a grin. She laughed. Even her laughter was magnetic; with it's lightness and sincerity. There was a slight pause, and then she spoke.
 
"Did you know there's bacteria on the lime they squeeze into your drink? I love living life on the edge."
 
 
She intentionally made the remark in an overly serious tone,one that really struck me funny. It was as if we were old friends. I couldn't believe the ease with which we were talking. We both laughed at the same things.I was surprised at how relaxed we had both become in such a short amount of time. I was happily married,but I loved the way my heart felt, talking with this amazingly beautiful young woman.
 
Finally,I asked her "Are you a model?"
After I asked the question,I wanted to take it back. 
She looked at me with her entrancing eyes, then, in an obvious, and playful way she replied. 
 
 "That's so ironic,I was about to ask you the same thing." She said with a sly grin. It was perfect timing, and we caught ourselves laughing, again. Then she said something that truly surprised me.
 
"Would you think me too forward if I asked you to share a cup of coffee with me? I know this nice outside cafe a few blocks from here, and I have a little time before I leave for the airport. I thought you were so friendly, and we hit it off...I wondered...if.."
 
Without thinking of anything else, I blurted out
 "I'd love, too." I wasn't trying to pick her up,but she was fascinating, and I wanted to know more about her. I wanted to hear her laugh more, talk more, feel this odd feeling just a little longer.
 
We sat outside on this beautiful morning, and talked almost non-stop. There were no awkward moments. I didn't feel as if she had a hidden agenda. It was two people, two total strangers who, for whatever reason, hit it off, and they seized the moment.
It was unforgettable, and I think she felt the same way. The time flew by. We had talked about a little of everything, then she looked at her watch.
 
"It's time, I can't believe we had so much fun, and were so relaxed doing it."
 
 "And, you didn't try once to hit on me," she laughed out loud, as she slid her chair back.
 "And finally, I didn't have to fend a woman off for a simple conversation." I said, smiling. There life had put us, for a second, I felt a twinge of sadness. I realized how rare such encounters were. I looked at her once more, as she prepared to leave. My God,she was striking,I thought to myself.
 
"Well,I guess I won't ever see you,again,but I just want to tell you what a pleasure it's been meeting you. You take care,and never,ever change that magnetic personality." I said, as she moved toward me.
 
Without warning, she laid her purse back on the table, wrapped her arms around me and gave me the sweetest, most heartfelt hug. She then tenderly kissed my cheek. I was caught off guard.
 
 
 
She picked up her purse...looked me in the eyes... then leaned in close to my ear, and whispered,
 "Good-bye, Dad, you were everything I've dreamed you would be." With that she walked to the street, and immediately a cab stopped. As she pulled away...she smiled, but it looked like she had a tear running down her cheek.
 
I stood there motionless, as my mind raced through summers past...
 

© 2008 Rain


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

your stories make my heart hurt! in a good way.
this is very well written. I love these new prose/flash fiction pieces you've been writing, they suite you well.
I also love how I can't quite tell if any of your pieces are biographical or not, it takes a person who has many and deep life experiences to blur the lines between pure fiction and reality. It's why Hunter S. Thompson was so extraordinary (although he is on the opposite end of the spectrum from you!).
luck and best wishes,
jenbem

Posted 16 Years Ago


15 of 15 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wonderful story that creeps up on you and grabs in all the right places.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

I didn't expect it to end that way.
Excellent descriptions. I could very well picture the scene.

Thank you so much for sharing.


Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Wow. I'm speechless with eyes full of tears. Magnificent!

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Wow. What a great twist ending! I think that this write was absolutely brilliant Rain. The way that you set the scene here with this woman reminds me a great deal of The Stranger, a poem of mine about something similar because of the same sorts of feelings that a stranger evoked in me. Your stories always seem very personal and I think that that is the best way to write a story, because what do you know better than your own experiences? Well, I have a problem with memory retention, so I know of plenty of other things than my own experiences, but they are the most powerful words to work with- your own thoughts and the nature of the reality of others as they were meant to be and not the fictional representation. Good job! Very good. Oh, and how is your search for your son going? I'm still here to help whenever you need it!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This was an awesome story! Wow...I have often thought about my encounters with "strangers" and wondered if it was my sibling or my father or mother...this was great from start to finish, yet the ending was the best for me...what a wonderful twist! :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I was so engrossed I never saw it coming...
Such a wonderful brief encounter; told with tenderness and care. You pulled us in, involving us in the moment. Then just when we thought the story had ended you left us wanted more...
Excellent stuff Rain.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Never saw that coming. Great story, Rain!

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Damn. As writers, we know it is a good thing to leave the reader wanting more but dang it, I want more. LOL
I never saw that coming at all ... what a remarkable read, but I wouldn't expect less coming from you!

:+)

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

wow - never saw that coming. I can't even begin to imagine such a moment. I'm left wondering what emotion he was left with in the end - regret that all he got was those small moments, happy that he did at least get to meet her; wondering about her life??? an excellent tale, my friend.

laura

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

What an encounter..........to meet, enjoy a genuine friendship, and appreciation to then be stunned
by the fact this beautiful creature is your daughter............I can't imagine how that poor man must have felt...............joy, elation and loss.
Beautifully penned, with very vivid descriptions.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5070 Views
133 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 20 Libraries
Added on March 4, 2008
Last Updated on December 22, 2008

Author

Rain
Rain

About
"Having lived a bit has altered my thoughts of this coming new year from all those that have come and gone. Life is so bizarre that in some ways, my diagnosis has been a blessing. "I'm not sure why.. more..

Writing
He is My Son He is My Son

A Story by Rain


The 50's The 50's

A Poem by Rain



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Our Lives.. Our Lives..

A Poem by Rain


He is My Son He is My Son

A Story by Rain


The Seed The Seed

A Poem by Dezaraye