The Oil Change

The Oil Change

A Story by Rain
"

It's so easy, even a monkey can do it.

"
I have said before, my shop teacher told me I was the worst student he'd ever had. He had taught for 30 years. I am SO not mechanically inclined, but this was simply changing oil. How damn hard could that be on an old 74 Maverick. " Ray, we could save $15 dollars," Sue said, her voice full of confidence in me. Look at the commercial that constantly stated " It's so easy, even a monkey can do it." You remember the commercial. It had monkeys with tools in their hands, unscrewing a filter, pouring oil into a hole, then shutting the hood... Done!
 
 
So, I made my customary three trips to Lowes to get everything I needed. I always look for the oldest guy in the department. NEVER listen to a teenager. I told him I had no tools at all, and I wanted everything I would need...down to the type oil. First, he just assumed I had a filter wrench...wrong!
I first jacked up my car, then reinforced it with a cement block. I was set. My first mistake was starting to unloosen the transmission fluid plug, but I caught myself in time. After all, even a monkey can do this...right ? I drained the oil, then replaced the plug, making sure I had it tight. The filter was a little tricky, because it was harder to get to than I thought. I banged my knuckles up pretty bad.
 
"How's it going out there, honey ?" Sue asked as she peeked out the screen door. " So far, so good," I replied, honestly. Hell, I'm saving $15 dollars, and I was almost done. All I had left to do was screw the new filter in place, put in my oil, and that was it. I felt good. Screwing the filter back on was a lot harder than taking the old one off, but eventually I did it.  All that was left was to put in the five quarts of oil, and I was " Ray, the oil changer!!" I even remembered to get some of those paper funnels. When I was done, I yelled for Sue.
The yard was scattered with rags, tools, empty oil cans, old filters, paper funnels.
 
" Ok baby, you ready?" I asked as I slid behind the wheel. I purposely left the hood up, so I could listen to the smooth hum of oil running into my engine.
I remember proudly turning the key, and the car starting. Then, it became instantly obvious something was going terribly wrong. Oil was shooting out from my car like a Texas gusher. Not just a little. I mean enough oil I could have put a rig around it. I immediately shut it off. I can't begin to explain the empty feeling in my gut. I did EVERYTHING I was suppose to do.
" DAMN IT!!" I shouted, mainly to myself. Mr Cox was right. I was the worst student. What the hell could I have done wrong? I saw my big old country boy neighbor out in his yard. I was ALWAYS asking him for help. Now, I had to humiliate myself, again, by asking him what I did wrong.
 
"I'm sorry, honey," Sue said, knowing how embarrassed I felt, and that she was the one who convinced me I could do it. After all, even a monkey can do it. Perry came down...asked me to start the car...in two seconds he told me to shut it off. " It's coming from the filter...did you take the old gasket off?" He asked, as if even a monkey would know to do that. I had to look him in the eyes, and say, " What gasket ?"
I liked Bubba, which is what everyone called him, but he had a way of making you feel really stupid. The next thing you know he's under my car unscrewing the filter...minutes later his hand comes out from beneath my car, holding an old rubber ring. Sue couldn't look me in the eyes. She just said " Anybody, could have done that."
 
"Not if they'd changed oil before", he laughed. Bubba stood up, and told me to start my car...which I did. We watched, and waited...not a drop leaked out.
"There you go, Ray, just drop you another quart in it, and you're good to go. Take her easy, Ray...I got to finish off my back deck. With that he was gone, leaving just me and Sue. "If it weren't for that damn old ring you would have gotten it." I was both pissed and embarrassed. Sue just didn't get it. She truly believes I can do anything I set my mind ,too. Over the years she has never learned. If I say I can't do something, it's usually based on experience. She about got me electrocuted one time, when a light bulb busted off to the rim. I didn't blame her. I was just upset I screwed up such a simple task, although I didn't talk to her for a while. Later on that night we were watching TV, and that commercial with the monkeys came on. " It's so easy, even a monkey can do it." There was this terrible moment of silence, until Sue said, " I'm fixing your favorite tonight..Ham and Cabbage, Does that sound good ?"
"Yea, that sounds really good, thanks." I said, as I reached for the remote.
I can't ever stay mad, plus it wasn't her I was mad at. I just stretched out and flipped the remote until I came upon one of my favorite movies.."Planet of the Apes."

© 2009 Rain


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Lol. This was great. As a man, you never want to ask another man to do your dirty work. I know if my wife suggested I change the oil and save money, I'd have to take the challenge!

But... I won't be showing her this story :)

Nice work, man. Definitely hits home and gave me a good chuckle.
So are you changing the oil next time or paying the $15?

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I've been under the hood of my car a few times, yes easier said then done. My thing was I like to pop my hood in the mall parking lot when it wouldn't start and have a man come ask if I needed help and I simple say I got it honey and 1-2-3 I turn the car over. I loved their faces especially if I was in a skirt and heels and my hair and makeup was right. good story nice flow as always. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Oh man! This is great
lolz...I really had a great laugh while reading it, because I really enjoyed it...The way you have narrated the piece also gave it a humor.
Great one!


Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

i'd have spent that 15 bucks cause i would have blown the car up! Don't feel bad, i know i'm just a woman and not really expected to know anything about cars, but I'm good at screwing things up and i'm sure changing oil for the first time would've been no acception.

they only use that slogan for advertisement purposes.. it's all about money. If it was legal and someone could make a quick buck, there'd be comercials like "WebMD.. who needs a doctor?, diagnose yourself! Cut the cost of those nasty medical bills with one easy click of the mouse!"

cute story, put a smile on my face.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Well, this had me laughing like a monkey....kidding aside, it was a great story., but then all yours are.....lesson learned! Have a good one. P.W.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Have to laugh at this one, my dear husband is ASE certified for 30 years of auto work, and even he at times has one of these. Anybody can forget!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

You are supposed to lubricate the new gasket with a few drops of clean oil when you replace it too, it says so on the filter box. I cheat, I read instructions, them dang monkeys are too smart for me. lol great fun here.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1402 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 3, 2009
Last Updated on January 3, 2009

Author

Rain
Rain

About
"Having lived a bit has altered my thoughts of this coming new year from all those that have come and gone. Life is so bizarre that in some ways, my diagnosis has been a blessing. "I'm not sure why.. more..

Writing
He is My Son He is My Son

A Story by Rain


The 50's The 50's

A Poem by Rain



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Words Written Words Written

A Poem by Rain


I Run Away I Run Away

A Poem by Rain


Hobo...Part One Hobo...Part One

A Story by Rain


Poet in Prison Poet in Prison

A Story by Rain