Rainbow!

Rainbow!

A Story by Raj
"

It's Different!

"

 

                       I
 
I had my first major accident when I was 19. The adolescent age when you are almost out of your teens and have all the makings of an adult. I didn’t have a girlfriend. I wanted one. I had many friends in girls. Tried hard for more and tried a lot hard to be with just one. I was greedy and I was insecure.
 
When a car is traveling at 60 mph on a narrow lane, it tends to mow down anything that moves in front and I happened to be the one who walked in front. I took off like a bird wings flapping. Suddenly, Newton made sense. Gravity. I would be coming down soon. Couldn’t locate exactly where I was, but in that nanosecond of flight I made the costliest mistake of my life. I saw down. There was the bad municipal road with rough stones. I came down hard, but never hit the ground. I found myself on a soft cushioned bed. I was told it’s been three days since the accident. Did I float for two days and fall in a bed?
 
He smiled… And left.
 
Then I met Rahul. He was on the adjacent bed to mine. I hated him instantly. He looked like a guy out of trash bin. His hair was a mess. His clothes stank even from a distance. But I got to admit he had a cute smile. He spoke, “Rough one eh?!”
 
“Yeah, yours isn’t a lot better, I guess”
 
That’s how it started. I somehow didn’t like his presence, but didn’t have anyone else to talk to. I made a point to converse with him only when no one is around. I didn’t want anyone to think that we were friends. I hated him.
 
He criticized me all the time. He didn’t have anything good to say.
 
He always started the conversation with a question…
 
“So, you in college?”
 
“Yeah”
 
“Do you study?”
 
I told you he is irritating.
 
“Of course, that’s why I go to college” Sigh!
 
“Biology?”
 
“Physics?”
 
“Are you good?”
 
“Average”
 
“I didn’t mean your looks.”
 
A*****e.
 
“I meant my studies”
 
“Hmmm.. You got a girl?”
 
A smile crossed my face.
 
“Many”
 
“Oh! I got four words for you”
 
“What?”
 
“Go Bullshit Someone Else!”
 
I told you, he is a jerk.
 
 
II
 
It was boring. There were different sets of doctors who came to see me. They said I am pretty okay now. I should be out in a few days. Just something to do with the shock and stuff; I knew I am fit enough to make a run, but I had to wait to completely recover. I ain’t taking any chances just yet.
 
I got books and newspapers. I read from start to end, even the adverts and the obituaries. Obituaries fascinated me. There is always a picture of the person who left the world full of smiles in a square column and the date of birth and date of death clearly mentioned. I always calculated the age, frankly, they were all aged enough to die. There were a few who left early. I felt sorry for a few. Felt happy for a lot. Man, really, with faces like these they should’ve been dead long before.
 
Rahul overheard that.
 
“In that case, you should’ve been buried long before.”
 
I didn’t bother to reply. Bugger has a way of getting into my nerves.
 
 
It was the same routine. From morning to evening. It was the doctors and nurses all day. And the constant chatter of Rahul. It was irritating, it was frustrating, and I was going mad. I thought I am gonna lose it.
 
She walked in. She was visiting someone I guess. I was staring unashamedly at her without a wink that she walked over.
 
“Hi”
 
“Hi”
 
“Why were you staring at me?”
 
She was gorgeous. I smiled.
 
“Hello”
 
“Oh! I’m sorry, are you deaf?”
 
She had those rose petal lips. Mine were tar black.
 
“That’s because you smoke!” Rahul.
 
Did I think aloud, this idiot heard it. Sigh!
 
“So, you a smoker? Lung cancer?”
 
Angel’s words.
 
“No… I am not deaf, I don’t have cancer.”
 
“So, why are you here?”
 
“I too was wondering until I met you now.”
 
“Hmm… you got your lines, Sir”
 
She smiled.
 
“How about a coffee?”
 
She left.
 
                       III
 
Rahul was worrying me these days. I mean, I don’t like him alright, but it is a pitiful sight to see him deteriorate, he is losing hair big time and is growing real thin. But his attitude was intact. He still barked at me and I hated him. I don’t have any respect for him really. It’s just that he is the only one near me. He talks s**t, but at least he is talking.
 
Then there was this girl… Oh my! Never asked her name.
 
She barged in with flowers. The ones I love. The roses. Red and yellow.
 
I took it from her with glee.
 
She said, “Get well soon.”
 
“No intention, really. If I am gonna get flowers from you everyday, I will stay here for life.”
 
“Hey, you’re the guy… you should be giving flowers.”
 
“Hmm… the red roses smell good.”
 
“Nah, yellow ones.”
 
“What’s your name?”
 
“Swetha”
 
“What does it mean?”
 
“I don’t know”
 
“I bet it means a Pretty Girl”
 
“You never give up, do you?”
 
“I won’t, do you know what different types of kisses mean?”
 
“I mean, if you kiss on the forehead it’s called friendship, if kissed on cheeks its called affection, if kissed on lips, its called…”
 
“Infection!” Rahul.
 
Damn it, bugger is listening to our conversation.
 
She left.
 
 
           IV
 
It was around 12:45 in the night. Rahul vomited violently. I thought he is gonna pass out. He couldn’t stand himself. His legs were wobbling and his lips tightly pursed. He was blabbering something. Idiot was moaning about some girl. For once, I felt sorry for him. What the hell? I wish he dies. I mean, really, what does he has left. He is a vegetable already. He can’t move, bound to the bed. You know something, he pisses in his bed. Of course, they have the toilet bag, I tell you what; it is real funny to watch him piss into a bag and s**t.
 
The docs came and checked him. These guys too look funny. For God’s sake, it is midnight and these guys were wearing pressed trousers and their hair is well groomed, of course, for the benefit of the nurses I presume.
 
I could hear these white coated b******s banging the nurses sometimes in the night. A******s calling themselves holy doctors.
 
Rahul, “Sour grapes”
 
“What?”
 
“You are not getting laid… you’re jealous.”
 
“As if…”
 
He was held by four docs and orderlies, but still has time to spit venom on me.
 
I had seen him trying to masturbate, of course he couldn’t. He just doesn’t have the strength. He couldn’t get his zipper down. Forget about anything else.
 
And he teaches me philosophy. Yeah, he does.
 
He doesn’t allow me to sleep with his hypocrite theories.
 
“Be true to yourself that’s what he says. Don’t ever fall short of yourself in front of you.”
 
Stuff like that.
 
What the hell did I do. He is the one who should have done bad things, worse things and that is why he is there where he is.


 
 
           V
 
Swetha was there everyday, sometime she visited me even in the late evenings. She had taken a liking to me, I guess. I got a break from Rahul only at those times. He had become a pain and I have started sympathizing for him too. Now, that was bad. I hate sympathy and likewise hate sympathizing too.
 
Swetha was the only relief. She talked sweet. I talked to her about anything and everything. It was not an affair or something, but I wish it was. Whatever! End of the day, I could talk to her. And she looked beautiful day by day. It was as if God created her and said you will grow beautiful each passing day. Everyday I found something new in her to feel good about. May be the extra glow on her cheeks, the way she had clips all over her head in different locations. It was not uniform, it was childish actually, but that random placement of clips made her look even more beautiful. The way she smiled, the way she breezes through the door. She was Wow.
 
And her striking opposite, Rahul. He talked crap all day. He even talked about getting out of this hospital rut and become a writer. He can talk, now that I can guarantee. Writing?! There would no takers.
 
“So, have you ever fallen in love?” Rahul
 
Now that’s a sensible questions… I can answer this.
 
“Hmm… I don’t know. I always wondered why nobody felt bad for others who died in the Titanic.”
 
“What?” Rahul
 
“I mean, the debate was always why Jack died and Rose survived. Could it be because they were the ones who lived “our” fantasy?! Okay, how many would like to trade places with either Jack or Rose even if it meant one will die and another will lose her loved one. I guess there will a full house in response.”
 
“Now, that doesn’t answer my question, does it?” Rahul
 
“Well, it is wonderful to watch the movie with your friends. There were catcalls when Rose went nude and Jack drew her. There was hot breath when they made it out in the car in the ship’s garage. And there was deafening silence when Jack drowned. I sat through uncomfortably all through. I was wedged between four friends of mine, a couple a piece. They did things that were worth a double A certificate. What’s worse than accompanying two couples to a romantic movie? Well, the answer would be you being single.”
 
“Now, that’s the point, so you are horribly single… hmm… hey, but don’t you have something for this girl, Swetha?” Rahul.
 
“Do I?”
 
Does it matter? You better preserve what you have, a guy like you… she talking with you is the most “Love” you can get and when she shakes your hands… well, that’s the most sex you are gonna have”
 
“B*****d!”
 
 
           VI
 
Swetha stopped visiting.
 
She just vanished in thin air.
 
But there was this nurse. She was real young and she took care of me well. Her name was Mary something. I called her Mary. And she was sweet.
 
Within three or four days Swetha was off my memory. She was too beautiful. Mary is beautiful in her own way.
 
“Isnt she?”
 
Rahul just smiled. And then laughed harder.
 
Hmm…
 
Anyways, Mary was nice to me. She spoke in a low voice and heard me all night if she had to. She would even pat me to sleep sometimes. She would sing. She used to sing some Christian songs. I never understand half of them. She gave me a Bible. Sometimes she used to read from it. She gave me Bhagwat Gita too. I asked for Kuran. I found all the same. They all preached. They all said there is God. They were all big big books. They were written in different languages, but spoke the same thing.
 
Boring.
 
I found Mary pleasant. She used to giggle in her own way. Not exactly a sweet smile, but a giggle. I told her everything again.
 
I talked to her about my ambitions, which were aplenty. She asked me if I ever fell in love. I said I don’t know. She asked me if I liked her. I said yes. She asked me how many girls have you gone to bed with, and I said you are the first one.
 
What?
 
“I mean, you are the one who is sitting on the bed next time… of course, it’s a hospital bed”
 
She smiled.
 
I slept well when I talked to her.
 
Of course, Rahul never liked her, for that matter he doesn’t like me either.
 
He likes nobody I guess. He smiles all the time. But I seriously think it is fake.
 
 
 
           VII
 
A lot of days have passed I know since I came here. I don’t know how many, I have stopped counting.
 
I don’t hate Rahul anymore.
 
He is a poor chap. He doesn’t know what to do. You should look at him. He is paying for his sins I guess. He is smelling like s**t. I seriously think… it is s**t. He has no control over his bladder anymore. I can see him losing consciousness. He is dreamy all the time. He doesn’t recognize me anymore. He doesn’t recognize anyone. He is not talking to me.
 
He is not at all talking to me.
 
I feel lonely now.
 
Suddenly, Mary too had stopped coming to me.
 
I miss her. I miss Swetha too.
 
I miss Rahul.
 
I miss my father. My mother.
 
I felt like my strength is drying up. I am going mad. I’ve lost it. I don’t know. Something is happening.
 
I cried. I could see my father waiting out the room.
 
The glass door. I could “ICU” written. Am I in ICU?
 
Am I going to die?
 
I called for the doctor. They were already there. I could count 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 6…. faces there hovering above me. I told them all. “I want to talk to Swetha…?”
 
One face said, “She is not here”
 
“Mary, pls?” I sobbed.
 
One more face answered, “She is not there too, son”
 
I looked around. I think Rahul had died. He was not there either. I didn’t even ask. I don’t care about him.
 
Then I closed my eyes, but I can hear the chattering of these docs.
 
One ugly faced doctor was talking to my father outside, I could hear him.
 
“It’s been three months in the ICU for him, we have lost hope. I guess this is it. Inform your closed ones. He doesn’t have much time left.” Doctor.
 
My father quietly sobbed, “No chance at all, doctor?”
 
Doctor sighed. “He’s in the isolated ward for three months now. Only we visit him and he asks for the girls”
 
My father sobbed,
 
“Rahul, my son……..!”
 
 
          - Aravind Kumar Rajendran
 

© 2008 Raj


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was pretty good. A few grammatical errors that a proof read couldn't fix. Great work over all. The sarcasm and humor was very well written. I, for one, cant do that. So great work! =]

Posted 14 Years Ago


well done. The fragmented approach on this really added to the allure of the story - getting into the characters mindset if you well. Enjoyed the dialogue too.

Posted 15 Years Ago


The dialogue was awesome.
I really enjoyed this story.
It got my attention right away.
Well done. Two thumbs up.
T.S.

Posted 15 Years Ago


loved the conversatiuon with the two , you have such a expressive way loved it

Posted 15 Years Ago


I loved the dialouge in this piece. The story is creative, engaging and left me wanting more. Good job!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wow! What a story! And here I thought it was a conversation between two men! Never saw it coming until the end! Wonderfully written, Raj ... hugs

Posted 15 Years Ago


I'll say.. Is Rahul there? Well, we will never know now.. :]

Posted 15 Years Ago


This was a fantastic piece.

Kept me hooked all through but never saw the end coming.

Nice plot, very well presented.
Great work. I'll come back to your page sometime.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I wasn't thinking it was going to end like it did. You did a really good job on this. The question I ask myself is if Rahul was really there.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

It was interesting. I liked it. It was different from other things that I have read buit it was indeed creative. Good job. Please review some of my writing. Thank you.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

428 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 1, 2008

Author

Raj
Raj

Kolkata, India



About
At times when you browse through the dictionary you wonder how many words would I use of these in my life. Well, I am browsing through life and am an audience to all the experiences that happen to peo.. more..

Writing
Life Is Beautiful! Life Is Beautiful!

A Story by Raj



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..