Candle in the Wind

Candle in the Wind

A Poem by Candle in the wind

 

 

The candle in the wind
Flickering and blazing
Dreaming perilously
Logic and reason melting alongside
 
Not yet blown out
Not yet smothered
Sometimes a steady glow
Dispelling darkness or enshrouded by it 
 
If you look close you will see the myriad shades
In the flame which changes shape
Sometimes feeble, sometimes bold
Sometimes rekindled by fumbling hands
 
The wax melts
The wick burns
But the flame is alive
And spreads warmth
 
Cup your hands to shield the flame
But don’t stifle it in a glass case
To save it from the wind
As you’ll take away its warmth.
 
The wind that makes it flutter
Is the air that nourished the flame
The breeze that made it dance
And leap up in desire.

 

© 2008 Candle in the wind


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Yes I like this poem very much. Metaphorically, it can be whatever the reader wants it to be - a soul struggling to grow, a person taking the first trembling steps away from terror, new love, blossoming and fearing a battering - all needing proctecing all needing shelter all needing warmth - yes metaphorically it can mean anything we choose - even just a simple beautiful candle shedding its light and warmth while being sheltered from the wind and protected by cupped hands.

beautiful imagery - beautiful write - beautiful poem.

Thank you

Jen-JG

Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is just beautiful,
This is your complet lufe is aflame poem and it works really well.
The hint that the little flame is more than just a light here
"The breeze that made it dance
And leap up in desire."
Is very nice

~Raven

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovely imagery and description. Your namesake I suppose. Well penned. Thank you for sharing your talent.
Light,
Siddartha


Posted 15 Years Ago



"The wind that makes it flutter/Is the air that nourished the flame/The breeze that made it dance/And leap up in desire."

I especially savor the delicate profundity of your closing lines. The very elemental force that could extinguish the flame is the same impetus that makes it seem to dance with delight, its subtle desire caressed and fanned by the breeze, its exquisite lover. Beautiful.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I was glad to read this poem again. This time I saw the poet in the flame. Being raised in the West my tendency is to see your beautiful face gazing into the light of life as you see something deeper than I was trained to see. I sense that your vision is tied to an ancient place that we over here seem to want to bury away.

Thank you for opening the ancient door for me. Thank you for revealing this beautiful light good poet.

Jan

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
LSS
I really find your poems refreshing. They are not inundated with inane, trite, implausible, axioms of love and devotion. They are devoid of selfless truths and promises based only on physical plunder. In your soft, tender, quiet tones I can see your heritage, poise, gender, and sensitivity. You keep your phrases flowing and smooth and allow us to gracefully travel with you. Thank you.
Lar


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"Logic and reason melting alongside"

I love this imagery. Thanx.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Loved your poem! You're a very gifted and talented poet!
One must always protect their heart from the winds of life!
Keep writing from your soul for your soul!
Good luck with all oyur future endeavors!
TIM

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The candle's flame, like our life force is nurtured by the give and take of life circumstances. Nothing alive can live in a vacume...an empty nowhere without the things that give us life. Not the candle...not us. Seeing the changing shapes and visual images in the candle's flame is like seeing the changing rythems of life.
Very beautiful, virtually spiritual and totally envisioned by the spirit. Thank you.
Love...Liz/angelinmypocket

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is one very nice poem. Congratulations!

The delacate balance that you paint between the source of the flame's life, i.e., the air, and the chance that this very source of life might extinguish it through a unexpected breeze, is wonderful. Your further admonition that the solution to this dilemma is not to hide the flame from the wind, but to enjoy the "give and take" and to enjoy the warmth it brings to the experience, is very insightful. It's a recipe for good living as the human experience is also in a delicate balance, and it is often this delicate balance that adds appreciation to life.

Very best regards,

Rick

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A gifted choice of words to describe the candle flame. A well written poem with a well crafted imagination... splendid �

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

6998 Views
88 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 9 Libraries
Added on February 7, 2008
Last Updated on April 1, 2008

Author

Candle in the wind
Candle in the wind

Calcutta, India



About
Flickering and blazing,not yet blown out in the wind... the flame has to sustain itself when the rains set in... Beyond norms and overrated sanity " We look before and after And pine for what i.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..