Dead land

Dead land

A Story by Rasheem
"

A young boy dies in an accident but finds himself still on earth.

"

My name is Thomas Watkins. I am thirteen years old I stay in a small town called screven county, and I’m dead. It happened in the summer of last year. My friends and I were out playing baseball in front of my mom’s yard. We lived right beside the road so we had to watch out for cars when crossing the street. Ahmad was on strike two and I had the perfect pitch in mind to finish him off. I span my arms around really fast getting ready to give it all I got. “uh oh you’re in trouble now Ahmad!” yelled Lemel. Who was standing on a plastic plate that we used for first base. “No one ever hits Thomas’s triple deluxe spinner whammy!” Yelled Landon Who stood in the outfield. Which wasn’t that much space. “I’m about to hit a home run on your triple whammy!” said Ahmad While swinging his bat at air. “bring it on.” O I’m going to bring it! I have a reputation to keep in the yard.” I spun my arms around in a circle a couple more times to get that extra charge that I needed then I let that sucker fly. It was probably the fastest ball I ever thrown at someone. It flew straight at Ahmad. Then the craziest thing happened. Ahmad's eye lined up with the ball. Everything began to move in slow motion. Ahmad cocked his arms back. Then swung the bat hitting the ball square in the middle. The ball flew high up in the air then it started turning right towards the road. I was the closes one to it so I took off running.

 

“I got it! I got it!”  “Thomas!” my friends yelled. “Look out!” I stepped out into the road and was almost hit by an eighteen wheeler. “Thomas!” my friends yelled the sounds they made were horrifying. I never heard them scream the way they did. “Oh my god he’s dead!” cried Landon. “What are you talking about Landon? I’m fine. The truck missed me”. Ahmad and Nigel ran to me then dropped to their knees. They began to cry really loudly. What are you guys crying for? I’m fine. Lemel and Landon went off running to my mom’s house screaming her name. What the hell is going on I wandered. Then I got my answer. I looked down to see what was left of my body scraped all over the pavement. oh my god I did get hit. I looked at Ahmad and Nigel who was crying uncontrollably. It’s my fault Ahmad yelled. I shouldn’t have hit that ball. “It’s not your fault Ahmad It was me who choose to go after It that was a heck of a swing”. Ahmad sobbed mashing his face into the ground. It was obvious he could not hear me. A minute later mom came outside. She had seen what happened and passed out on the grass. This can’t be happening how can I be dead? I tried several times to speak with my family and friends but they could not hear me. I was dead, they had my funeral in Robbins branch that was the local church in my community. I stood there at my own funeral watching people mourn over me.

 

This is torture, why am I still here? Shouldn’t I be in heaven or something. Why am I still on earth where no one can see me or hear my voice? A year has passed and I’m still on earth. My mom seems to be doing a little better now. When the accident happened she was not eating or talking much. The family came by to check on her. She barely spoke a sentence to them. It was like the life had been drained from her body. Now she is eating more which is good. I stay here by her side it’s not like I have a choice in the matter, when I stray too far from my yard some kind of invisible force prevents me from moving forward. It’s like a hard invisible wall. No matter how hard I try I can’t get through it. Being dead sucked I can’t talk to anyone. No one sees me. I might as well be on an empty ship that’s lost at sea. I spend my days watching t.v I can’t change the channel my hand passes through the remote. So I watch whatever mom watch’s which is usually those stupid drama shows. I’m not watching that today I am going to see what my friends are up to. As I pass through the front door. I see an unfamiliar face. It’s a man who looked to be in his early twenties. His skin completion was dark like mine. His face looked like my face. He had the big forehead like I do. His eyebrows almost connected making him look mean just like mine does his eyes were even light brown just like mine. If it weren’t for his mustache and beard. I’d say it was me. This man didn’t move or make a sound. He appeared to be looking right at me.

 

That’s impossible no one can see me I’m dead. Then the man calls me something that no one has ever called me before. “Hello son.” I turn around to see who he was talking to but the door was closed. “It’s me your father.” “You’re talking to me?” yeah I’m talking to you. Do you see anyone else around?” I look at this man’s face and he looked happier than a five-year-old on Christmas day. ““well don’t just stand there say something.” I didn’t know what to say. I never seen my dad before, mom said he died in a car accident before I was born. “You don’t know me but I know you.” I watched over you and your mother for many years. He pauses and stares off. “Until recently Two years ago I wondered off. I figured a way pass the wall and I used that time to see the world. I see now that was a mistake”. He drops to his knees his eyes are watered up. I’m so sorry son. If only I were here, you would still be alive. now your mother has no one. For a while I don’t say anything I don’t know what to say. Everything happened so fast. Then I think wow this is my dad. I hugged him, my body does not pass through like it does when I try to hug mom or touch one of my friends. It stays there in his body and I can feel his body its warm. “it’s okay dad.” Wow I just said dad for the first time. Feels strange. Here we are two dead people in front of mom’s porch having a moment. My dad puts his arms around me and I felt so warm I haven’t felt this way since I was alive.

 

 

“ I love you son.” He said.  “I love you to dad.” After we had our reunion we made our way inside the house. We watched mom as she cooked dinner for herself. “so what now?” I asked dad. “I don’t know son” he replied. Why do you think we are here? I ask. Dad smiles “well that question is simple. We are here to keep her company. If we were to go she would be all alone.” We looked at mother and for the first time in a long time I seen something she was smiling.

© 2018 Rasheem


Author's Note

Rasheem
This was my very first short story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A wonderful and sad tale written. I did like the ending. Even in death. She felt the love one's near. Thank you Rasheem for sharing the amazing story.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rasheem

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much! happy you liked it
Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

I did like it and you are welcome my friend.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Rye
You are really good at story telling, very descriptive and lots of imagery. nicely written

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rasheem

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much! glad you liked it

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

311 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 7, 2018
Last Updated on January 7, 2018

Author

Rasheem
Rasheem

GA



About
Finding my way more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Rasheem


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Rasheem



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Webbed Webbed

A Poem by Saumya