The Happiest Man On The Subway

The Happiest Man On The Subway

A Story by Rasputin
"

A well-dressed man, appearing to lead a charmed life, becomes the subject of speculation to his fellow subway passengers.

"
He stuck out like a sore thumb on the subway.

He didn't look like the rest of the passengers. They all had sweatpants, t-shirts, jeans, work uniforms. A few of them were wearing clothes from the Salvation Army. At least one was homeless.

He was wearing a five-hundred-dollar suit. Brand-name sunglasses. Two-hundred-dollar shoes, built to withstand carpeted office flooring and not much else. A fifteen-hundred-dollar Rolex watch. He had an expensive black leather briefcase on the seat next to him. He was reading a copy of the New York Times.

Nobody seemed to be looking at him. But they all were. Sometimes they would cast furtive glances in his direction, glances so clearly intended to appear casual that they were anything but. They all pretended not to be aware of him. They pretended that he didn't stand out from the rest of the crowd.

He may or may not have known, but they were all thinking about him. He was in the foreground of every one of their minds; the focal point of their thoughts.

Some of them envied him. They knew nothing about the man himself, so they formed ideas about who he was based on what they saw. He was dressed differently, sure- none of them could have afforded such an eye-catching suit. They imagined that he was a stockbroker. A corporate attorney, maybe. A banker. Maybe he was from out of town. Maybe he was a foreigner, here on business. Why he rode the subway was anyone's guess. None of them could know for sure. But they all imagined.

He was maticulously groomed. His hair was slicked back with just enough pomade to look professional. He didn't have so much as a hint of acne. He had no trace of a five-o'-clock shadow, but he didn't exactly look clean-shaven. He looked more like he had never shaved in his life, yet somehow had never, or would ever need to. Every square inch of him was perfectly synchronized.

He even carried himself differently. He sat with perfect posture. His back wasn't hunched forward or misshapen in any way. He didn't look tired. His eyes were hidden by his sunglasses, but they were certain that he didn't have the look of world-weary defeat that seemed to imprint them.

So some of them envied him. They imagined what it would be like to be him. They imagined what his house must have looked like. Maybe it had a nice layer of stucco in front. Maybe there was a long, winding driveway that led up to the garage. And maybe he had a sports car in the garage. Maybe he had multiple sports cars. Maybe he had a gorgeous, loving wife. Maybe he had kids. Maybe he spoiled them. Maybe he was putting away money for their college educations. Maybe he and his wife had a nice little nest-egg squirreled away for their retirement.

Some of them hated him. They resented his obvious wealth. They resented the hands that life had dealt them. They despised him because he looked like the type who went on luxury cruises to the Caribbean. They loathed him because he might have had a vacation home in Aspen. They couldn't stand the fact that he had all the chances that they never had. One or two of them entertained fantasies of mugging him. Others fantasized about being him. Him sitting there in all his opulence; it was as if he rode the subway simply to mock them. To make their lives seem that much shabbier by comparison.

Regardless of their feelings about him, the facts were clear enough in their minds. Here was a wealthy, successful man. Here was a man whose affairs were in order. Someone who had his life together. Someone who had his priorities straight. Someone who had carved out a nice, cozy corner of the world for himself. Someone who was going places.

A man on the right track.

Having finished his newspaper, he began to fold it back up. He folded it so neatly, so precisely, that they imagined it looked exactly the way it had when it had come off the press. It was crisp, perfect. Even the newspaper, it seemed, had become an extension of his success.

Indeed, this was someone to be emulated. This was a man whose many triumphs could act as a guide. This was a man filled with important life lessons. This was a man who had made it. This was a man that they could aspire to be like.

Whether they detested him or wanted to be him, or were simply taken aback by his obvious prosperity, they all saw the same thing: a man who was on top of the world.

A man who had everything.

So they didn't see it coming when he pulled a TEC-9 from his briefcase and started shooting.

03-17-2012

© 2012 Rasputin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I thought this was awesome, but you took too long to get to the punch. I did like the different perspectives of how so many different people saw him by I wished he'd had a name - maybe try the omniscient narrator saying "Here George stood, as people sneered at him on the train" something like that. I liked the ending, I knew something was up, and I was kinding hoping for it to happen sooner. Oh! Maybe you could expand and say about everyone being wide eyed as his briefcase fell to the floor in slow motion and how they all felt stupid for making assumptions as they watched their loved ones die. That ending would be so much more dramatic!

Posted 11 Years Ago


This actually just gave me cold chills. Your story serves to remind us why we should never make assumptions based on what the eyes can see. I love your introductory line, "He stuck out like a sore thumb on the subway." It sets the scene and draws you in almost instantly. You clearly know what your doing when it comes to writing and I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. Thank you very much for sharing :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


That was really well written, I'd really started to connect with everyone on that train in that position. I really enjoyed reading this.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Oh man, I was connecting with the story, belonging to the crowd feeling envy, and then boom! he starts shooting. Great twist, I liked it. Makes me think that it's pointless to envy people you know nothing about, everyone has their issues. The guy in the story just has more than normal.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I LOOVE IT! I LOVE HOW YOUR WRITTING DRAWS ATTENTION TO THE MOST OBVIOUS AND THEN JUST WHEN YOU THINK YOU KNOW WHERE ITS GOING YOU ADD A GREAT TWIST! I AM OFFICALLY A FAN! AND THATS A BIG DEAL! :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


Really good. You described this man so well; had so much insight into what other people might be thinking of him...and the ending was terrific.

Posted 12 Years Ago


The way you built up this mans profile was excellent, even to his upright posture, you captured it all, i dont know what i thought was coming, as i waited for the punch line, you got me there! i didn't expect that. This was really good. Thanks.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Appearances can be so deceptive. This is such a thought provoking story. How a person looks on the outside needn't necessarily correlate with what he feels inside. We can never judge anyone by their looks. Thank you for this wonderful story!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

377 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 18, 2012
Last Updated on March 18, 2012

Author

Rasputin
Rasputin

Leng, MA



About
*****I am the sole owner of all written content herein. Unless otherwise noted, I do no own any pictures displayed herein. All copyrights are the property of their respective owners.***** more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..