Another Time

Another Time

A Chapter by Robin
"

connecting with the past

"

Between my dad, sister and i we have a large collection of arrowheads we have found over the years  in the sierras . most of them intact . some are quite impressive .

 

I am a mountain biker at heart and my bike has taken me to many different parts of california and nevada to ride , from all along the coastal range , north to south, to the sierras riding trails on both the western and eastern faces . one of a mountain bikings ultimate venues is mammoth mountain. a huge ski resort situated on a slightly active volcano .  we used to spend a week there every summer exploring every trail possible , from taking the gondola to the top and jammin' "kamikazi" or taking the long way down traversing the moon-like surface of "off the top" to finally reach the tree line and fly through the pines on the well maintained trails .   

 

we would camp at a bear infested campground which went by the name of  "Shady rest" . once we arrived there we never touched our vehicles until we left , as we were able to ride our bikes everywhere we needed to .  we usually arrived in the afternoon set-up camp and take a little ride to a vantage point above the village of Mammoth lakes , something to loosen our legs and adjust to the altitude before we attacked the big mountain the next day . we rode on up, parked the bikes against some stumps and walked over to the overlook . we stood there and watched the sunlight slowly  move up the face of the big mountain as the village sank in the shade . I  looked down and I saw a ledge maybe twenty feet below us and looked for a path through the manzanita to reach it . i finally made it through and carefully climbed down and sat down, my legs hanging over the edge .  pine trees pointing  directly towards  me , I felt like I was hovering in space .

I motioned for my buddies to join me, but they waved me off and I leaned back to take it all in . as i put my right hand down in the granite scree, I felt immediate sharp needles of pain in my palm.  i raised my hand  to find it was covered in obsidian flakes ( and blood ) . I picked them off , then carefully brushed the gravel from the ledge in search of some bigger flakes of obsidian and quickly found my first one, an arrowhead  with its tip broken off.  more searching found more in the same condition . of course this was his reject pile .  I then looked across the valley and the whole mood changed. the village was in twilght, invisible in the shadows .  I then was immersed in the moment . I looked down and visions of herds of deer filled the valley below me , migratory birds filled the air, the mountain was anew, shed of its gondolas and ski runs  and the lakes to the east spread further into the distance . summers are short here . he was a long way from home, the obsidian he gathered would have been prized . as would any game and skins from them .

 

the shouts of my buddies snapped me back into reality  , it was getting dark and we needed to get back down the mountain  . I gathered one as a reminder and we returned to camp ~ I will always remember that brief timeless connection. 

 



© 2010 Robin


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You conjur some very nice imagery with this one. Finding that long-ago place of arrowhead making was worth a few cuts, I'll bet. Just knowing that you stood in the same spot and looked out at the same incredible view as that ancient one had to have been moving. I used to have a pretty good arrowhead collection, too, having found them on my many excursions along streams and through fields. They're all made of flint around here, and the last one I found was about ten years ago.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

"he was a long way from home, the obsidian he gathered would have been prized" - i envy you...

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thats sounds close to or perhaps the best moment ever.
To see things as they were. I would think the pain was worth such a moment and the arrowhead. Like Sam I have found a few here around Hot Springs.. really a pretty city.
This is a soothing memory.

Chloe

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The two chapters aren't related at least not yet But I think I see where this going it is going to be good I can see that you have a most vivid use of the language your word picture(s) are clear and bright I have enjoyed this so far pray continue!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You conjur some very nice imagery with this one. Finding that long-ago place of arrowhead making was worth a few cuts, I'll bet. Just knowing that you stood in the same spot and looked out at the same incredible view as that ancient one had to have been moving. I used to have a pretty good arrowhead collection, too, having found them on my many excursions along streams and through fields. They're all made of flint around here, and the last one I found was about ten years ago.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your Dad sounds wonderful. Sharing the love of nature is a truly a gift. Your description in full detail takes me there, I feel as if I am sitting there right beside you. I felt you connect to the Indian/hunter and became him, seeing through his eyes for that glimpse in time. Darn friends, they brought you back =)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i usually don't take the guided tour, but i'm so glad i showed up for this one

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

494 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 22, 2010
Last Updated on September 22, 2010


Author

Robin
Robin

CA



About
I am a man , I breathe nature , I listen to the stars , I speak dream , music is my life blood , my words pour from my heart . I observe , my hands express . Feel my words , look as deeply into yo.. more..

Writing
Saudade Saudade

A Poem by Robin


Instinct Instinct

A Poem by Robin


Listening ~ Listening ~

A Poem by Robin



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Reverb Reverb

A Poem by Robin


Deeper Deeper

A Poem by Robin


Rosa Rosa

A Chapter by Robin