The Priceless Penny

The Priceless Penny

A Story by Mr Alednac
"

The Priceless Penny is a fairy tale/allegory that has a very happy ending

"

 

 

Once upon a time there was a penny and by far this penny was the most worthless penny there has ever been.  It was only several decades old but the penny was scarred, dull, and lacked color.  Everywhere the penny went no one wanted to pick him up and keep it for their coin collections.  The penny was sad because of this, because of who could ever want to keep penny? Especially a penny like me said the penny.  Over time he learned to accept his fate of never knowing admiration or the feeling of being wanted.  The penny would have friends though, he wasn't completely lonely but his friends would come and go for they were nickels, dimes, or quarters much more worthy than he.  On one day the penny was on the sidewalk hoping to be picked up but he thought, what's the use? No one has ever picked me up and on one will ever will.  As he lost all hope a hand came from the sky and picked him up.  Shocked, the penny started feeling joy, joy that he has never felt before.  The penny looked into the eyes of the person who had picked him up and it was a beautiful young lady.  The penny was extremely happy to know that he had finally found someone but the penny's delight was soon taken away when he saw all the other coins she was carrying with her.  There was the rarest of rarest coins and all were very shiny and bright.  There were dollar coins, shillings, doubloons, and many others.  The penny quickly became depressed again and remained quiet amongst the group of other coins.  Several hours passed and the beautiful lady opened her coin collection, "now that I have enough coins, I shall now pick the rarest, interesting, and most beautiful coin to be my favorite and lucky coin.  Quickly the other coins began to fight for her attention, the silver coin bellowed, "Pick me I'm the shiniest!" the gold coins yelled, and “No pick one of us we're the most expensive!" All the other coins were arguing for their case to be the beautiful maiden’s favorite coin.  As she listened to every single coin, the penny was in the corner of the group alone and quiet.  This caught the young ladies eye, "you there, penny!"  The penny was caught off surprise, "me young lady?" "Yes, you why are by yourself in the corner?"  "Well, I find this hopeless and oh so very pointless! I’m nothing more but a mere penny, a penny who is scarred and dull, I'm not worth a lot, and here you must have a billion dollars worth of coins all who are much better than me and much more beautiful, so it is obvious that I will not be your favorite coin because I am worthless and I'm still trying to figure out why you even picked me up? you should just throw me away...." the woman stood quiet, while the other coins were as well, the penny started walking off when the young woman picked him up as he was trying to leave, "I picked you up because I saw something special inside of you, and I was right you are special, the most out of all these coins because you humble yourself not like these others and you have much more inside of you.  That is why I shall pick you to be my favorite and lucky coin because even though you are just a penny on the outside, you are worth much more than that in the inside and that makes you my priceless penny. 

 

The End. 

 

© 2013 Mr Alednac


Author's Note

Mr Alednac
Please be honest but not too over critical and I ask that you be courteous please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What a gorgeous write.....I believe it is the flaws in any artwork...or any person...that make it more special. We cherish beauty to a ridiculous degree sometimes. Who is to say what is pretty and what is special? This story holds such a special life lesson. The personification of the coins was wonderful. Great imagery too. A real winner. lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mr Alednac

10 Years Ago

Thank you so so so much for your review. I really agree with you, I just wish the whole world did as.. read more



Reviews

"even though you are just a penny on the outside, you are worth much more than that on the inside."
I loved this story. It would make a great children's book that teachers could use to teach kids about confidence, self-worth and empathy. I love the symbolism you used with the coins. Keep writing!
#LRWP2018

Posted 5 Years Ago


This is a very inspiring story. I can imagine reading this myself to my young son. Even though it is short, it contains so much worth and so many life lessons. This is a great story and I hope to see more from you in the future! Never give up! :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


True worth beyond the physical… Great thoughts in a story of value!

Posted 10 Years Ago


If you ever would consider altering the end I have a different ending that sound good too!


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mr Alednac

10 Years Ago

I would love to hear your opinion! :D
OMG this is the most amazing story...so well written. This truly deserves praise! I applaud you my friend! I shall keep this one! Bravo!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mr Alednac

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, you're really too kind yet awesome. :) Thank you for taking your time in reading .. read more
What a gorgeous write.....I believe it is the flaws in any artwork...or any person...that make it more special. We cherish beauty to a ridiculous degree sometimes. Who is to say what is pretty and what is special? This story holds such a special life lesson. The personification of the coins was wonderful. Great imagery too. A real winner. lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mr Alednac

10 Years Ago

Thank you so so so much for your review. I really agree with you, I just wish the whole world did as.. read more
I love allegory's and this one must be the sweetest one I've ever read. Most of the allegory's I've encountered, the main character is punished in order to learn a lesson. It's good to see that sometimes all we need to learn is to love ourselves more.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This story is really cute, but I can tell it has a much deeper meaning. I like it :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1920 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 29, 2011
Last Updated on July 22, 2013
Tags: Allegory, Fairy tale, childrens, happy, ending, sad, pennies, magic, humble

Author

Mr Alednac
Mr Alednac

CA



About
I like to write scary stories, funny stories, and the occasional love poem. more..

Writing
Feelings Feelings

A Poem by Mr Alednac