Hell Hath No Fury

Hell Hath No Fury

A Story by Brianna Van Zandt
"

Mackenzie and Jackson got married for their son's sake, but an abusive relationship leads to a tragedy.....

"

            Standing alone in the living room, I stared at the pictures above the fireplace. Each depicted a different scene my husband had created. The cabin in the woods that didn't exist, the waterfall on the other side of the world, the amusement parks in Virginia. We’d never been to any of these places, never took these pictures, never posed for them. Each one was thrown together from old pictures we’d taken when we were happy. My son’s smile was frozen on his eight-year-old face as he held up a fish by the waterfall. That picture had been at a lake fifteen minutes from our home, but my husband had wanted to make it seem more exotic and interesting. We’d had a fight about it one night and everything changed after that:

            “Jackson, why are our actual family memories so embarrassing to you? Why the hell aren't they good enough? Who are you trying to impress?” I moved between him and the television. He looked at me with eyes like daggers, crushing the half-full beer can in his hand, and unsteadily rose to his feet. He was easily a foot taller than me, much bigger and definitely more powerful than I was. He closed the distance of just a few feet in a single step and smacked me, shoving me to the ground.

            “I don’t have to explain myself to you! You’re just a little f*****g w***e!” he howled. He started to unbuckle his belt when I got up, shaking off the stars that danced around my head and the pain in my cheek. “Just a little daddy’s-girl little b***h.” I tried to keep myself calm, knowing my son was in the next room and fearing his father would turn his rage on the boy.

            “Jackson, I only asked a question,” I asked him, my eyes on his. I heard his drunken hands still fumbling with his pants. He didn't answer. The only reaction I got came several moments later when he grabbed my throat and threw me onto the couch, pinning me down beneath his massive frame while he tried to get my pants off too. Then, I heard the voice of a savior.

            “Get off of her!” It was my son, eight-year-old Jeremy. He had heard the scuffle and had been roused from whatever sleep he’d been in. Jackson snarled and stood up, pulling his pants back up around his waist. He left the button undone and the zipper down, his hands balled into fists the size of the boy’s head.

            “You’d best go back to bed, boy,” Jackson growled out. Jeremy shifted the weight of the baseball bat in his hand, his eyes bright and attentive, staring at the abusive monster shuffling closer to him. Jackson raised a hand to attack, but Jeremy’s unhampered reflexes got the better of the bulky drunk. The baseball bat came around in a brutal, crushing blow, hitting the big man’s leg and knocking him down. Jackson gave a shout of pain and fell to one knee. Dropping the bat, my son ran to me and wrapped his arms around me.

            “Are you okay?” he asked. He was always so much more mature than most of the boys his age, and I was proud of him for that.

            “I’m okay, Jer,” I said quietly, holding him close to me. I was starting to feel a little safe when I saw Jackson get back up with the bat in his massive hands. Jeremy felt me tense and let go, turning to face his father. Jackson didn't care that the boy was not the primary target of his rage. His drunken mind saw us all as targets for practice. Without a word, only a growl, he swung his fist at me and knocked me down again. Everything went red, then faded to black.

            It probably wasn't that long, but it felt like forever before I finally regained consciousness. When I finally did, my clothes were wet and my skin was splattered with red. Blood, I thought instantly, shaking of the haze the punch had left me in. I pushed myself up into a sitting position, and that’s when I saw the horrors my husband had left for me. My little boy was on the ground, the carpet around him soaked in his crimson blood. His entire upper body was just a bloody mass, bones sticking out, contorted in terrifying ways. I gave a cry of pure anguish, screaming until my lungs couldn't hold the air needed for another, and hugged what was left of him against me, not caring about the blood that seeped through my clothes.

            My little boy was dead.

            My little boy….

            I shook my head, closing my eyes against the tears that welled up whenever I thought of Jeremy. Those manufactured pictures, no matter how much I hated Jackson, were the only ones I had of my son. Jackson had left that night and taken everything else of Jeremy’s with him. Now, exactly eight years later, I couldn't handle it anymore. My little boy was murdered, and his killer was still out there. I knew where he was.

            “You’re gonna pay,” I vowed in a dangerously low voice.

~

            Three hours later, I was farther from my home than I’d been in years, following Jackson’s shiny black car through the city. I tailed him from several cars back, plotting my revenge. The b*****d had gotten away with murder. The law had ignored his crime. He'd had friends everywhere, including the police, and had paid them off when he disappeared to forget all about him. I wouldn't ignore it. I saw myself putting a bullet in his brain, or maybe beating him with a bat like he’d done. An eye for an eye, I thought. A life for a life. My attention returned to him as he turned into a driveway. Watching from a distance, I parked further down the street.

            Jackson got out of his car with a big plastic bag, probably stuffed with groceries. He glanced around, then went inside the house, leaving the door open to let in the warm breeze. Refusing to wait any longer, a smirk forming on my lips, I snatched the bat and gun and got out. The gun was safely tucked in my waistband, the bat tossed over my shoulder. I threw caution to the wind and darted across the street, slipped through the open door and began my hunt.

            I found Jackson in the kitchen, his back conveniently to me. The bat felt right in my hand, felt comfortably heavy as I adjusted it for my first blow. Before I really thought about it, the bat was flying around, striking my ex-husband’s temple. Jackson yelped and fell against the counter, his head smashing into a corner. Blood already welled where the bat had crashed into his skull. I pushed him over with my foot so he would be looking at me.

            “Mackenzie,” he gasped, wiping away some blood. He tried to sit up, growling, “What the f**k are you doing here?” I kicked him, my eyes cold and filled with rage.

            “You killed my little boy,” I hissed quietly. “You killed my son, Jackson, and you didn't pay. No one made you pay for your crimes. Now, I’m getting justice. For Jeremy.” Jackson tried to get up again, but my foot slamming into his massive chest ended the attempt. He coughed and sputtered and I laughed at him. “You killed my son, and now I’m going to kill you.” I swung the bat with brutal force, crushing a few ribs. I was laughing now, insane with rage and losing control. No, the control was gone. It was gone the second I left the house this morning. The bat slammed into his chest over and over, shattering bones and destroying any organs I happened to hit. Jackson started coughing up blood, staring at me with fear in his eyes. I smiled at him, a horrifying sight when you add to it the blood splattered all over me.

            “Mackenzie, don’t do this. This isn't you!” He was gasping for breath at this point, but his pleas meant nothing to me.

            “You killed Jeremy.” That was the last thing I said to him. The bat came down over and over again, cracking his skull and sending blood and brain matter splattering up the walls, turning the cheerfully-colored kitchen into a gruesome scene.

            Again.

            Again.

            Again.

            The haze of red finally faded when only a bloody mass remained of my ex-husband’s body. I dropped the bat at his side, then pulled out the gun that I’d tucked away. I’d finally gotten my justice. I was finally at peace. I wanted to see my little boy again. Looking at the gun, I smiled a little bit.

            “It’s over, Jeremy. I’m coming home now,” I promised before raising the gun to my lips, put the barrel in my mouth and pulled the trigger without a second thought.

© 2013 Brianna Van Zandt


Author's Note

Brianna Van Zandt
Kinda dark, but that's what the contest wanted!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was a very good read! The atmosphere of it was great, and the ending was amazing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Brianna Van Zandt

8 Years Ago

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I am very impressed! It's a great story. I love your writing style. You take your readers into a very dark atmosphere full of violence and thoughts of vengeance.
The ending is utterly perfect. I love it!

I hope you win the contest!

Posted 10 Years Ago


It is dark, but good enough to win a contest.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Brianna Van Zandt

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much for the feedback. I honestly hadn't thought of that. I let people rush me so I g.. read more
Marie

10 Years Ago

Glad I could help. I hope you win the contest.
Brianna Van Zandt

10 Years Ago

Me too. Have a great day!
Whoa...this is seriously amazing. I absolutely love it, and whatever contest you entered it for, you definitely deserve to win!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Brianna Van Zandt

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much! This is the contest: http://www.writerscafe.org/contests/Bitterness-from-the-Hear.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

513 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 8, 2013
Last Updated on May 15, 2013
Tags: Revenge

Author

Brianna Van Zandt
Brianna Van Zandt

United States Minor Outlying Islands



About
It's been a while since I've been here. I'm now twenty years old, and though my time for writing has dwindled, my passion has not. If anything, it has grown – and made it infinitely more difficu.. more..

Writing