Yesterday

Yesterday

A Poem by Reeses

 

The other day I got some news that I was unhappy to receive.

This great deal of information hurt so much that I struggled to believe.

My eyes were red, vision blurry, and all I could see was a gleam.

But I didn’t feel very weird, because I wasn’t the only one who thought it was a dream.

This situation got deeper and really clear, but I was still stuck in an illusion.

At first I was just hearing weeping people and that only spread my confusion.

I replayed their words in my head a million times, but couldn’t come to the conclusion that he’s dead.

“My cousin is gone,” I repeated over and over, but I refused to inhale what they said.

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord his soul to keep.

Since he died before he could wake, I pray to God his soul to take.

I asked all evil to shake him loose, and shake him free.

But never once did I think he would be taken away from me.

My cousin Lil Rayford is gone and I’m all alone.

I just pray to God that he’s home where he belongs.

When I saw his sister, I cried even much harder.

He will never know how much pain he brought her.

She shouted again and again how she wished she could just talk to him.

Tell him how we want him back, and how their brother’s life is out on a limb.

Every time my family told the story, I pictured it in my mind.

Why did they take his life?  There was no reason I could find.

I hope authorities catch these killers and give them what they deserve.

I still feel as if they didn’t do their jobs, because who did they protect and serve.

Murderers are what I call them because that wasn’t right.

Why does some one always have to die because of hate at first sight?

I want to wake up and realize that this is all just a big lie.

Believe that this situation is a joke that they planned on the sly.

They say you have to pay for every last blunder.

But why did Lil Rayford’s outcome have to be death?  I wonder.

When I woke up this morning, I thought I had him back.

I didn’t see a change in the day’s mood so I knew everything was a fact.

I wish young people wouldn’t play so much, because tricks are for kids.

Some one has always got to imitate what they hear and see on the vids.

You want to kill somebody because you all have beef, but don’t think it’s a crime.

If those shooters had a penny for every time they thought that, then they don’t have a dime.

One to the head, then the neck, and bam, he has left the earth.

No one in this world will ever understand how much it hurt.

If I could see him just once more, I would give whatever there is to give.

I dislike the fact that people don’t understand that there is only one life to live.

I wish things would have been different, but they had to turn out that way.

But I shall always remember the unfortunate death of Lil Rayford on yesterday!

 

 

 

Inspiration

 

          On July 27th of the year 2004, a life was lost.  This life brought so much happiness to the lives of others that he did not die alone.  When Rayford Peters Jr. was killed, a piece of our family died with him.  I died mentally but forced myself into spiritual reincarnation through my poetry.  Even though I have called this an inspirational piece of work, it is more like an emotional dedication.  I dedicated this to my blood, my brother, my protector and best friend.  I put into this poem what most writers have lost.  I added a dose of love.

© 2009 Reeses


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

My Condolences...This was poignant and thought provoking about Grief and the Greatest mystery of all Death

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wow he died a minute ago. i thought he had died recently cuz the poem still seemed fresh to me. i guess it's just timeless. sorry for your loss.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 11, 2008
Last Updated on March 12, 2009

Author

Reeses
Reeses

New Orleans, LA



About
I am finding balance within. I'm now a junior at Loyola University of New Orleans, La and I feel that no matter how much it hurts, I must at least believe in myself. Times get hard for me and I lose.. more..

Writing
Venting Venting

A Poem by Reeses


Random Tip Random Tip

A Poem by Reeses