Chapter 2- The Audition

Chapter 2- The Audition

A Chapter by Rhonda

٢

والاختبار

   It's about 8 a.m. when I stand in line. I'm the last person for audition day number two. There's a lot of people here, but usually a couple hundred make it to Hollywood in every city. I hope that I'll be one of them. I prayed to Allah everyday.

   I talk to Rabia, Hussein's wife. She's Indian and teaches me Hindi words occasinally. That's the language I want to learn next. They met here and she was born in India.

   Rabia and Hussein have been married for a year now. She's due for a child in three months. Hussein will be the first to have a child. The baby is a girl, they're still deciding on a name.

   Khadijah has a boyfriend, Ziad. He's Lebanese. They met when we moved to Beirut. They tried to do a "long distance" relationship thing after we moved away, but it didn't work. Ziad decided to come here six months ago.

   Amal's still finding someone, hoping she will soon. Ahmed and I are in the same situation.

   Finally, the line moves into the building and all of us get to sit down in some chairs. I'm worried about praying. Will we pray in here?

   "Hey." The guy next to me says smoothly. I almost forgot that I'm not wearing my hijab. This is the first time that I haven't wore my hijab public. This is also my first time wearing makeup.

   "Hi. How are you?" This guy has light skin and brown hair. It looks like he has blue eyes.

   "I'm fine thanks, a little nervous too. How are you?"

   "Nervous also, thanks."

   "Where are you from? I notice that you have an accent."

   "I'm originally from Egypt, but I moved to Lebanon after eight years. Then, we moved to Santa Rosa, CA."

   "Nice cultural background. So, you're just Egyptian?"

   "No. I'm Egyptian, Lebanese, Syrian, and Moroccan."

   "Nice."

   "Alina, it's time to pray." mother calls to me. Half of my family has walked out already.

   "Ok." I shout out. Then I turn to the guy, "I'll be right back."

   We go to pray outside where no one is for about ten minutes. We then go back and I find out that the guy's name is Mike. He's seventeen from Oakland, CA. I also learn that he is auditioning right before me.

   Before our auditions, we decide to practice. He decides to sing "No One" by Alicia Keys. I decided weeks before to first sing "Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis and then "Ehsas Jdeed" by Nancy Ajram (it means "new feelings").

   Mike sings first and I'm amazed at how he signs. It was beautiful.

   I sing both songs and he loved, loved, loved my voice.

   My family, Mike, his family, and I are the only ones left. It's about 8 p.m. and all of us are starving. My family and his family decide to go out to eat together after we're done auditioning.

   "Mike Anderson, it's your turn." Ryan Seacrest says.

   "Good luck." I say in a whisper.

   "Good luck to you too." he replies. They walk through thedoor and I could tell that each one of his family members are nervous, except for Ryan.

   It seems like hours waiting for my turn. Finally Ryan calls my name, Alina Kanaan.

   We walk through doors and Ryan makes small talk.

   We come to the door which leads to the judges. Mike and his family are standing there filled with joy.

   "I assume you made it." I say to him with a grin.

   "Yeah!"

   "Mabrook!"

   "Huh?"

   "It means congrats."

   "Oh, thanks." I then walk to the door leading to the judges.I'm very nervous and I can feel the butterflies in my stomach. I now see the judges.

   Randy Jackson sits on the far left, next is Kara DioGuardi, then the guest judge, Joe Jonas, and finally Simon Cowell. He's the hardest to convince.

   "Hello. What's your name sweety?" Kara asks. I notice that Joe has a twinkle in his eyes.

   "I'm Alina Kanaan."

   "Where are you from and how old are you?"

   "I'm sixteen. I'm originally from Cairo, Egypt but I live in Santa Rosa, California."

   "Awesome. I don't think we've ever had anyone from the Middle East audition." Randy says with a grin.

   "What will you be singing?" Simon asks.

   "Bleeding Heart by Leona Lewis and then Ehsas Jdeed by Nancy Ajram." I start to sing the first song and they love it. Then, I sing in Arabic and they applaud after.

   "Wow! You have an amazing voice. It wasn't pitchy at all." Randy says.

   "You were awesome! You have a lot of potential." Kara says.

   "I would buy a record of you any day. You were out of this world!" Joe says.

   "I loved it. You have the voice and looks to become a star. You're better than Leona. You're the best I've ever heard so far." Simon says.

   "Shukran kteer. Thank you very much."

   "I say yes." that's what all of them say. I'm going to Hollywood! I burst into happy tears. Everyone gives me a hug.

   I run out the door and give my parents a huge hug.

   I think of my childhood once again. It amazes mw that this could be the first step for my life to change.

   Both Mike and I walk out happy. We've both had this dream for awhile now, and it's a great feeling knowing that it can come true.

   We hed out to our cars while the parents pick a resturaunt. They choose an Italian one, which I'm glad they did.

   We walk in the resturaunt and it looks gorgeous. There's chandeliers over every table. The walls are bright blue. Classical music plays through the resturaunt.

   The waitress seats us at a huge table. I sit down next to Hussein (on my right) and my mother (on my left). Mike is diaganol from me.

   As I talk to others, I notice that Mike keeps staring at me. Thank goodness I put on my hijab in the car.

   I don't feel that way about him, but obviously he does about me. I'm sure when we get home, my mother'll talk to me about him being a good marriage partner. If my prediction isn't right, I'll be shocked.

   After dinner's done, we walk out and say goodbye.

   "See you soon." Mike whispers in my ear and walks to his car.

   We get in the car and we hed towards home. As we pass the Golden Gate Bridge, I replay the auidition in my head.

   "If I become famous," I think, "I shall remember San Fran as my starting point."

   "He's a good man. He'll be a good marriage partner for you." my mother says to me in the car. We're the only ones in there. The rest have taken different cars.

   What did I tell you? She said what I predicted.

   "I don't like him like that." I quickly reply.

   "I'm just saying. We'll see what the future brings."

  

  

   

  

 

  



© 2010 Rhonda


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The chapter is very interesting and I cant wait to read the final product:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


A very good chapter. I like the detail of her clothing and her praying. Most of us would be nervous and praying. I like the conversation and her repetition of her heritage. A very good chapter. Her positive reviews were very good. But those four graders are rarely on the same page. A outstanding chapter.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

266 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 20, 2010
Last Updated on October 7, 2010


Author

Rhonda
Rhonda

CA



About
I'm 13. I love to write and I love Arabic music and culture. No, my avatar is not a photo of me! It's a photo of my favorite singer, Nancy Ajram! Yes, I am American! more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Rhonda


Loneliness Loneliness

A Poem by Rhonda



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sunset Sunset

A Poem by Undying Glory


CREATIVITY CREATIVITY

A Poem by JENY