Missing Dad

Missing Dad

A Story by Aehr

He woke up, yawning and stretching as his alarm rung. After a few minutes, and long slurps of his coffee, he rose up from his bed and went straight into the bathroom. Dad hated it when his clothes were not pressed or his shoes were unpolished. But he had both things done the night before. It was 4:30 am in the morning. September 8th, 2005. I clearly remember.

 

I noticed that Dad had woken up pretty early that morning. Too early, even for his normal schedule. After his bath, he wore his clothes, did his hair until he looked prim and proper. Like always.

 

Honestly, I hated Dad’s suits. Black, black and more black. It was so irritating. I had told him a million times that black brought negative vibes along, but he never listened. He actually never listened to anything I said seriously. And even if he would, he would never agree. What was I? Just a puny little six-year old, his daughter, whom he never listened to when she tried to be serious. Mom hated his suits too, but just like my efforts, all in vain.

 

Okay, I was talking about Dad being up too early, right? But honestly, I hadn’t slept all night. I couldn’t digest the thought. Dad was leaving. I didn’t know when he’d return, or where he’d be, how he’ll stay… I really had no idea. I remember clutching my teddy bear and sitting by the window all night, just hoping for a miracle that would stop him from leaving. I loved him, and he loved me back, I knew. I cried so much, I just wanted to hug him so tight that he wouldn’t be able to go!

 

He was all ready, Mom was up too, and then he came to wake me and my sister up. Shriya (my sister) was snoring still, lost in her dream world, and she must’ve pretty much forgotten the horror of the last night when she heard the news. When Dad entered our room, expecting to see both of us snug and comfy in our beds, he was startled when he saw me sitting by the window, crying my tear glands off.

 

I had always been Daddy’s little girl. I knew that I would miss him, more than anything in the world. His smile, his gifts, the smell of his black coats… I knew I’d miss it all. Without waking Shriya up, Dad came to me, took my hand gently, and took me out to the balcony. Mom was in the kitchen, preparing breakfast. When we reached the balcony, both of us sat down at the steps and Dad sighed.

 

“You know why I’m going, right Rhea?” he said, in his comforting, deep voice.

“You’ve been transformed” I replied between sobs.

Dad chuckled and wore a smile. “No Rhea, I’ve been transferred not transformed. It’s for our own good. I’ll be able to earn better and…”

 

I cut him off and hugged his legs. I instantly began crying loudly. I didn’t want to hear anything, let alone know the difference between ‘transferred’ and ‘transformed’. All I knew was that Dad was leaving for Nepal in a few hours, and I wanted him to stay. I didn’t understand anything, nor did I know anything. I just wanted him to stay.

 

Dad hugged me back. We sat in silence for a few moments like that. When I released him from my hug, I looked up at him, my cheeks still wet. He ran his fingers through my hair.

 

“You’ll be a good girl, right?” he said, wiping away my tears.

I nodded.

“You’ll take care of Shriya and Mom for me, right?”

“Yes” I said slowly.

“I’ll call you and come for visits okay? And you can come to meet me in the holidays.”

“Hmm” I said, after a sniffle.

 

Both of us got up and made our way to the kitchen.

 

When Dad left that day, I didn’t go to school, or talk to anyone that much. Today, It’s the same date, 8th September 2011. Dad’s been away since then, now in Dubai. Things changed, places changed, to some extent even Dad changed, and so did we. But life has to go on, right? Sitting out in the balcony, I recall that day over and over, like a tape playing again and again in my head.

 

 I still wait for the Day when we’ve grown up, our whole family can get together again, and Dad says “I’m home”.  What I wait for are those two words, and that one day..

 

© 2012 Aehr


Author's Note

Aehr
Written a story after quite a lot of time. Please review. I know it's a bit long... but please, please review!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very, very sweet story ...
I can't imagine how a little girl aged 6 would be accept her father leaving ... Lovely little tale of a brave girl who is now all grown up and mature.
Beautifully written !

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lovely, Rhea. You are an awesome writer.I can see the entire day right in front of me.

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Mia
This is a lovely story and I think you'll do well in your competition. The beginning is a third narration and hen it stay that way for a little and then goes to first person. Consider making that transition a little smoother.
"He actually never listened to anything I said seriously." - It’s not wrong, it just sounds unnatural...maybe try…He never took anything I said seriously.
“how he’ll stay…” – how he was going to live (I wasn’t sure what you meant…this is how I interpreted it)
“Shriya (my sister) was snoring still, lost in her dream world, and she must’ve pretty much forgotten the horror of the last night when she heard the news. “-My sister, Shriya was still snoring, lost in her dream world. She must’ve pretty much forgotten the horror of last night when we heard the news.
Also, because you’re entering it into a competition, maybe consider changing the names, that’s not a big deal though…it’s a personal choice.
This really is a wonderful story, very sad but wonderful and I hope you do well. Hope I’ve been helpful :) let me know how it goes!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aehr

11 Years Ago

okay, i will! and thanks a lot! :)
Mia

11 Years Ago

Anytime :)
This is really touching. It's not too long at all, I love it. It's very well-written and I really enjoyed reading it. Well done!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Some memories will always leave us with pain and question. I like the story. Allowed the reader to fall into a sad tale. It is hard for the children when two parent separate. Thank you for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


Fine write, I like autobiographical writing, and this is done very well.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aehr

11 Years Ago

thanks
The loss of a dad through work circumstances poignant good write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aehr

11 Years Ago

thank you
awwh, this is sad, and at a good length, good job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I think it's great and I didn't think it was too long at all.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

237 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 14, 2012
Last Updated on October 14, 2012

Author

Aehr
Aehr

Aspiring for fearlessness



About
Trying to keep my words alive. Find me on Instagram: aehr_x more..

Writing
Broken Walls Broken Walls

A Poem by Aehr


Silver. Silver.

A Poem by Aehr


Swansong Swansong

A Poem by Aehr



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..