Two Roads...

Two Roads...

A Poem by Aehr

Two roads diverged in a black wood
Robert Frost travelled this way long ago
For hours and hours and hours I stood
Staring at the now-black barks in the wood
And the tiny springing grass, lifeless because of snow

The first road was thorny, the vision blurred
The second one was cold, and overgrown
I stood like a statue, for an hour, not saying a word
The heavy load on my back was now seeming absurd
I was cold, confused, very scared and alone

Next morning, the black leaves spread before me on the road
I couldn't make out which was more worn down
So I was ready enough to lighten my load
The projection of the idea my mind showed
The enlightening dream which broke with the break of dawn

The area where the roads diverged
Fearless, I walk between the two ways
I walk into another path, as the trees merged
When I looked back, the trees had disappeared
And slided to the sides with grace
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Can't make a choice?
Can't choose a way?
Make your own path
Make your own way
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

© 2012 Aehr


Author's Note

Aehr
Where there is a will, there is a way...

This is NOT a copy of the poem 'The Road Not Taken' by Robert Frost, it is very deeply inspired by it. And, this is DEFINITELY NOT a parody of that poem AT ALL. Robert Frost is one of my favorite poets, and 'The Road Not Taken' is one of my favorite works. It's just about what I would do, if I was in Robert Frost's place.

It's in the ABAAB format, which I've tried for the first time, so if it's not upto your standards: please review it accordingly. lol.

Forever and Always
Rhea

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I strongly agree, definitely this is not a copy of the poem " The Road Not Taken" for like you this one from Robert Frost is one of my favorites so I know it more than any other poem ( well except for The Man with the Hoe).

As to your poem I was impressed by breaking out with the kind of mind set with how most readers understand its theme.
You made an excellent point, that why not make your own trail instead of following the road that have been set by others. Reminded me so much of Steve Jobs. " Do not live by somebody else' dogma", for we have a chance to make a difference.

As to the form, I believe each stanza is a cinquain, but I find the form more like of a black verse and good for the poem for it speaks louder with the intended meaning of the content. If you may validate black verse is a form of rebellion against the classical form.


Posted 11 Years Ago


It's a beautiful verse. When i first read the title, it reminded me of Robert F.'s famous work. You are no plagiarist, since u have mentioned the original author's name giving him some credit in the first stanza. i must say your own way of conceiving paths is very influential and enticing... although Robert's one is more dramatic to me. Your first stanza is most intriguing. You've put the perfect image to go with your poem. The rhyming is also well-done. The varying syllables have been presented impressively.

Posted 11 Years Ago


"The springing grass dead from snow" seems a little out of place. You place a lot of emphasis on the trees, e.g. Wood, leaves, bark( I know wood is the reference to the entire biosphere but it still has a strong connotation of trees)
Second, "enlightening" is an overused word, and for a poem as original as yours, Perhaps revealing or cathartic might work. Either way I enjoyed, thank you.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Loved this inspiring poem Rhea..made me stop and pause in my day and that's a good thing..Miss you girl been awhile for me

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aehr

11 Years Ago

thanks!
i know.. miss you too!!!!
Good job, the structure and rythum is strong.

Posted 11 Years Ago


That was a really amazing poem!! I loved the whole meaning in it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


OMG I love Robert Frost, and I like how this is inspired by it, He's amazing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I have to say this is one of my favorite poems that I have read. I love that you were inspired by Robert Frost and out of that inspiration you created a beauty of a poem!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
Wow girl! This poem is so utterly brilliant! It did remind me, strongly, of the Road Not Taken by Robert Frost (the title itself did actually) but I completely get a deeply inspired poem. It shows how passionate you feel about the poem and the author of the poem too. You have my complete awe and appreciation. Keep writing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


You know, I totally agree with Zainab UF.... TOTALLY FREAKING BRILLIANT!!!!!! But I did mine in caps so obviously I should get a cookie and or some other delectable treat. Robert Frost is the greatest, isn't he? Pure genius!! Wow, just like you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Road Not Taken is a great piece, and your spin on it is just as great, if not better. I especially loved the next to last stanza, about making your own path instead of just choosing one someone else has already made. Beautiful piece you've got here. You obviously deserve a cookie and/or some other delectable treat for your inspirational writing!!! I'd give you one...but they're mine :D Don't hold it against me.

Amazing write!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aehr

11 Years Ago

wow, thankyou. you do deserve a cookie. Give yourself one for me! lol
Becca Bishop

11 Years Ago

Well ok :D if you insist :D :D :D

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1648 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 31, 2012
Last Updated on October 31, 2012

Author

Aehr
Aehr

Aspiring for fearlessness



About
Trying to keep my words alive. Find me on Instagram: aehr_x more..

Writing
Broken Walls Broken Walls

A Poem by Aehr


Silver. Silver.

A Poem by Aehr


Swansong Swansong

A Poem by Aehr



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..