Woodsprite ⁓ (gentle fantasy)

Woodsprite ⁓ (gentle fantasy)

A Poem by Richard🖌
"

Villanelle: One I selected for you from the archives.

"

 photo WOODSPRITE_zpszgk12o2t.jpg

                             1st Place Winner
                                                          
                    Blue Rose Villanelle Contest

© 2022 Richard🖌


Author's Note

Richard🖌
"VILLANELLE"

The Villanelle is Italian (later French), feminine of villanello ‘rural', diminutive of villano ‘peasant'. A form of Italian part-song originating in Naples in the 16th century, in rustic style with a vigorous rhythm.
Each line ends in a rhyme, either "A1" “a” "A2" or “b” with "A1" and "A2" rhymes repeated as refrains; each line is of the same syllable count, and that count is of the writer's choosing … I chose 10 syllables (5 poetic feet) in iambic pentameter, for a nice flow and even tempo; the lines are composed in five Tercets (3 line verses) and a concluding Quatrain (4 line verse), giving the Villanelle 19 total lines.

A1 = Exact Repeat Refrains
a = End Line Rhymes with A1, A2, and all other a's
b = End Line Rhymes with all other b's
A2
 = Exact Repeat Refrains

Thus, the end line rhymes and Refrain repetitions are as follows:
Verse 1: A1 b A2

Verse 2: a b A1
Verse 3: a b A2
Verse 4: a b A1

Verse 5: a b A2

Quatrain: a b A1 A2

One of the most noted examples of the Villanelle form is Welsh poet Dylan Thomas’, “Do not go gentle into that good night”.
Try this form, have fun and enjoy the challenge … the beauty in the end is well worth the effort, and you'll be a better, more accomplished poet for it.

Please, feel free to critique my work, offering anything you feel will help improve it! ✍

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Love the ending. Eternal youth. You are a wordsmith of a caliber I've never been shot with. I've been wounded by Poe. Grazed by Frost. And took a shotgun blast from Gorman. But you hit my bullseye here in the heart of my brain. Please do take aim again!!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

2 Years Ago

Thanks for reading me again, Bill 👍

Your compliment is certainly appreciated … g.. read more



Reviews

A lovely enchanting poem. Both in content and fotm..most delightful to read..

Nice work...

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Fran!
You've brightened an, otherwise, overcast day.
Such praise from a sea.. read more
I am no a judge of any kind of writing. I just know what I like, and this write is beautiful. Valentine Is it all right for me to develop my own style of writing? It all had to start new somewhere.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

Well,Dear Kathie,
To be a genuinely fair and just judge of poetry, one must first learn and u.. read more
While in the GATHER group we posted prompts and I remember doing a Villanelle and will look through my work to find it...it fascinates me how much "counting," there is involved in poetry...I enjoy the discipline of formed work...will try one again...it delights me that a MAN is so capable of affording such an enchanted vision! I could smell the damp earth of the woods and was filled with fascination at the beauty of it all...thank you...you have a remarkable following...so nice!


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

Where is this/what is this "GATHER group", Barbara?
I will look forward to reading your Villa.. read more
Penlady

8 Years Ago

Gather is defunct as a writing group but on FB there Is a group called Gather Refugees...
Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the info, Barbara … I'll look it up.
I loved this work, although the form is beyond my comprehension (me not being a poet -any excuse is better than none). Again you brought the images to life and warmed my heart. Your poetry has a calming effect on me, especially when I am having a stressful day at work. A "Richard's Poetry Break" goes under the category of "Medicinal Purposes" so I cannot be singled out for being a slacker....


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

Hi, Patricia! : )
I think in every writer's heart lives a poet and a storyteller of some mea.. read more
Left my senses intoxicated! Magnificent poem...really vivid and beautiful! :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

Hi, Poppy!
What wonderful compliments you've gifted this wee tale of fantasy … the imagery .. read more
Ruth

8 Years Ago

Smiles, my pleasure Richard :)
Nowt as villainous as a a Villanelle Richard. Too complicated for a simple soul as I. I never could paint by numbers lol. Not saying this is as simple and you are a master of form whereas I am weak upon the lazy mistress and freedom of passion released in free verse. In all though a lovely melodic tale of love expressed in the voice of antiquities romantics.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

Oh, John,
You often leave such entreating reviews for my wee efforts, this one among your bes.. read more
John Alexander McFadyen

8 Years Ago

You are indeed the muse of my reviews dear Richard and I bow to you as a friend and artist.
Thisis lovely. The form is ineresting but does not really matter. The story and the sweet spirt of the story are what really count.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

Aw, Marie … you have definitely pushed the buttons that bring a huge smile from the sensation of b.. read more
...what's to critique? This needs a symphony to play its beauty!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

I think there is so about this, one could critique, and that you believe it is beautiful and deserve.. read more
Oh I love this so much. Fantastic!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

Thank you so sincerely, Dear Lady-Poet, for such an enlightening compliment, and for loving anything.. read more
Cherry Pepperweb

8 Years Ago

You're very welcome. :)
I wrote one Villanelle once, and it was atrocious. At this stage in my life, I doubt I still have enough brain cells to attempt another one. But who knows; with you and this poem as my inspiration..... I know this poem couldn't have been easy to write, but as a maestro does, he makes it look easy. Amazing!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

Ha-hah, Roland!
I've scant doubt you can compose an excellent Villanelle, had you the mind to.. read more

4
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2243 Views
41 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 11, 2015
Last Updated on April 3, 2022

Author

Richard🖌
Richard🖌

Houston, TX



About
~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~·&.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..