the REVIEW (our craft)

the REVIEW (our craft)

A Poem by Richard🖌
"

Quatrains in Iambic Pentameter

"


the REVIEW


Reviewing is an art few master well …
the ones who do, pass on our art intact,
inspiring 'long the way whom they might tell,
because they realize the cards are stacked.

For every poet reached in a review,
so many more are left upon the page,
complaining how their work was torn into;
such is the fodder of indignant rage.

So many verses I’ve critiqued when read,
on many more there’s never left a word.
Thus, passed on by, left as they were, instead,
for reasons some may think are quite absurd.

Shhh! Listen well, you might just understand:
I may say nothing if there’s too much wrong,
or if a poet feels they’re highly grand;
and, never when a writer is not strong.

When sensitivity controls the mind,
it cannot grasp a lesson that’s been shared;
nor, can it know reviews are not unkind;
critique was left because someone had cared.

Most share for praise and pats upon the back,
while fewer really wish for honesty.
They tout for help, not that their poems lack;
if told they do, give thanks with brevity.

See? That which makes reviewing so worthwhile,
are those rare few who never will abscond;
instead, take everything to heart and smile,
correct mistakes, then graciously respond.

Through issues all corrected they transcend,
form bonds with other poets 'long the way …
thus, learning well from those who comprehend;
these best will pass along our craft one day.

So, be prepared when those who light the path
hold high their lanterns bright that you might see;
inside your poets’ hearts resist all wrath …
one day your skills will know high mastery.



Richard W. Jenkins
© 2015


© 2018 Richard🖌


Author's Note

Richard🖌
During my earnest and sincere efforts to help my fellow-poets correct issues in their poetry and better their skills, seems my praise and encouraging comments somehow got missed or disregarded, and in result I've inadvertently raised the ire of a fine poet; thus, I thought it best to make my take on reviewing known, and to make it clear what my motives generally are when giving a review.

Constructive critique for my poetry is always welcome and preferred. ; )

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Un - be - lie - vable! This is exactly what I stand for! So many divas have blocked me because they didn't want to be told their work needs fixing up.....and I, too "say nothing if there's too much wrong." My friend, you are a poet in the flesh. You can definitely use some tweaking on some rather banal grammatical aspects, as well as when and where beats should land (one line in this one has "someone" landing on the wrong sylLAble....but that also might simply be dialectal). This is otherwise fantastic! True to form and message! Well freaking done! (also love the Mickey Holmes image).

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

6 Years Ago

Thank you for reading this piece … I really enjoyed the content and depth of your own poem, "Criti.. read more



Reviews

Though this is true I rather not be the cause of indirect insecurity. Many people post on here to hear other people's feedback on what they think of their writing and if it really touches my heart, resonates to my soul, it's clear in my lengthy reminiscing reviews. Yet, even when other poems or stories don't touch me so deeply to my heart I know how easily saying nothing can be taken for nothing good, so I say thank you for sharing, it was very expressive, keep writing, etc etc because we only improve if we believe its worth a shot. To be silent creates self-doubt and often leaving a review just sends the message that "you have been heard" - but this is of my own experience and belief.
Also, it might have been mentioned below but you have one grammar mistake where reviews looks like review's when it shouldn't. Probably just a typing too fast error - I do them all the time, unfortunately.
Although, receiving the ire of poets - now that's something to be annoyed about. I think it's good to watch your wording though because on the internet, messages can often by taken with a different attitude the way they were received rather than it was meant to be delivered, know what I mean? If that doesn't work, get sassy or sarcastic right back. I've only had to do that a couple times.
Thanks for sharing, it gives perspective and insight to some of the minds of reviewers on here, so it's appreciated.
Take care,
- Lavi

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

5 Years Ago

LOL!
Hi, Dear Lavi,
According to the stats, this poem has received 1588 reads and 32 r.. read more
Hey! I cannot believe I didn't notice review's should not have an apostrophe in it, lol. But seriously, I have recently run across this. I find it hard to leave any comment when there are a lot of errors. But also, if you legitimately misunderstand or see something differently, some people just take offense.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

5 Years Ago

LOL!
According to the stats, this poem has received 1588 reads and 32 reviews, and not a one .. read more
Lyn Anderson

5 Years Ago

I usually always catch rogue apostrophes, even some that are intentionally so, and as such, tend to .. read more
This is so great! Such an ode to so many things in life that some ask for help or assistance and then are aghast and offended when someone cares enough to speak in truth.

I think there are a couple things amiss with this, two that stand to mind.

First that our world is not accustomed to honesty and forthrightness, because it's usually easier and less effort to rush by something and wave an acknowledgment then it is to really take the time to think through the words and the thoughts and absorb someone else's world for a while before pausing and digesting a response worth writing.

The second is sensitivity around sharing ourselves. I understand this because I have lived it. At one time I kept all my writings to myself locked up, safely hidden, as if someone who saw them would somehow see the inherent nakedness of my own soul, something that even i myself was not comfortable with. I stopped writing for many years and after a personal crisis i brought it all back out and started critiquing my own work which lead to fully rewriting 90 percent of it several times, which lead to new works and new ideas. Now I'm able to share and feel honored by true reviews and sharing in a community that values one another.

Thanks for adding to that and thanks for letting me share my take on yours as well. Rosalee🌹

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

5 Years Ago

How truly insightful, Rosalee …
For, this poem does apply to much in life, through attitude.. read more
EcstaticEuphoria

5 Years Ago

It's so true. Holding others away from us really only harms us in the long run, but we are each on o.. read more
Now that was a mouthful we should all chew on.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

6 Years Ago

You may be surprised at how many of the really accomplished poets relish a critically detailed revie.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

6 Years Ago

yes, i enjoy the added perspective someone else can bring. we cannot grow without it.
Richard🖌

5 Years Ago

Smart lady, and a beautiful writer, I sincerely add! : )
I can see how this could come across as arrogant to the average poet. We all want to believe at some level that we are above the masses when a new creation is birthed from our efforts. A candid review can be devastating to anyone regardless of experience level. But to that, I know what harsh is and it mostly comes from behind an editors desk. People serious about the art should keep that in mind.

As far as rhythm and meter is concerned, I have yet to read anything that is completely strict and be enjoyable. It's a forest for the trees kind of thing. But I think that we can agree that a person attempting such an endeavor should do his or her absolute best to follow what the masters have laid down and work within the framework. God knows I have produced some terrible R&M where the beats have been all over the map, but I was aware and half of the time things just haven't worked to my regret. Lessons learned. It's better to move on. Reading Ezra Pound over the years has helped me to be aware of the framework to be able to break the framework. We are not and never will be Milton.

As for you, Richard, I know that you mean well. In fact I know in the past you could have savaged me and didn't. Thanks for that. I know we all are not perfect. It's good that we all can try to explore, keep our whining to a minimum, and be thankful that we can write knowing there will be a reader at the other end. CD

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

6 Years Ago

Boy-howdy, how right you are!
I've be rather vilified and skint alive from an editor's blue p.. read more
CD Campbell

6 Years Ago

I wouldn't say he is my favorite poet if anyone were to have one. I'm partial these days to Auden a.. read more
Richard🖌

6 Years Ago

Thumbs-up!
Un - be - lie - vable! This is exactly what I stand for! So many divas have blocked me because they didn't want to be told their work needs fixing up.....and I, too "say nothing if there's too much wrong." My friend, you are a poet in the flesh. You can definitely use some tweaking on some rather banal grammatical aspects, as well as when and where beats should land (one line in this one has "someone" landing on the wrong sylLAble....but that also might simply be dialectal). This is otherwise fantastic! True to form and message! Well freaking done! (also love the Mickey Holmes image).

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

6 Years Ago

Thank you for reading this piece … I really enjoyed the content and depth of your own poem, "Criti.. read more
It's not about the review itself, but more about the way of reviewing, it's a craft, I agree with You, when I review I try to give it all my heart and mind, even if it's not so good in my eyes, I respect that a heart/mind has/have written it at sometime, there is a message through, a dream, a need, a... a... a... this where my reviews come from, and it's more harder for me than others to do go reading and reviewing for reasons You know, at times it takes me like half an hour to read a poem and write a review for it.

I've friends who help me with my errors, sometimes REALLY stupid errors, and I'm most grateful for them, for their caring read and heart, what I don't like are those who come to read JUST to pick up the mistakes, or tell You how to write etc... those kind of people whom are full with ego, thinking they are the best, the offering to help is also a craft, and also when someone askes You to help, I'm sure You never let them down, I know You are a "strict" teacher when it comes to poerty and its forms, and You must be, still You are also generous and kind. each have their own circumstances and positions, there are fine poets whom I don't think its my place to give them a note unless its a good one, being You, a fine one, normally it's Your duty to help others with their works.

If we poets, the sensitive creatures can't accept each others, respect each others with kindness... then what we left to the people out there?! 


Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

6 Years Ago

Well, GH,
If there is anyone who needs the lessons this poem teaches, if definitely is not Yo.. read more
lightsong

6 Years Ago

The same here Syr, respect and admiration what I feel for You and Your pen.
First, let me say, I love the way you presented this poem. The picture of Mickey Mouse, and the way you wrote the title with "the" in lowercase, and "REVIEW" in all caps, is perfect. But the small, yellow print on a black background is a little hard to read.

This is a poem that I enjoyed reading. Most of us who publish our work on writing sites have an opinion on reviews. I've noticed a difference between reviews on Wattpad and reviews here. On Wattpad, most of the reviews (there, they are called "comments") are encouraging and supportive, but without much backbone. It's almost like the reader didn't carefully read the poem, and is only commenting on the overall gist of it. Some comments are based on reciprocity, they want the same treatment when you review them. Here, I've noticed there are more reviewers who are inclined to offer constructive criticism. Quite frankly, I think there is more talent here than on Wattpad. The critiques are meant to give you food for thought, not to insult your work.

Time and effort is put into giving someone a review, and we should all be thankful for that. I did receive a rather harsh review once here on WC, which I didn't take very well, but ultimately, it made me think about that poem, and I ended up unpublishing it.



Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

6 Years Ago

Oh, I've made the font bolder, Karen, and it seems more legible now … let me know what you think, .. read more
GreenShoes

6 Years Ago

Ah, yes, it is better now. I can see that you matched Mickey's Sherlock outfit perfectly with that c.. read more
Richard🖌

6 Years Ago

You've made me very happy. ; )
Nicely done and presented. However, while a person like yourself reviews with help in mind, others review to pick apart the person's viewpoint, or just to gain reviews for themselves. Often I review just because I like it, helping if I see small grammar errors etc. I don't tend to syllable count or figure out if the form is exactly correct. I believe any review is worth listening to if it doesn't involve disliking for the sake of disliking. If I were to say, for example, I hate this poem because I hate this form. That is a pointless review. I think it is a clear message properly delivered.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

7 Years Ago

Thank you so very much, Dear KL! : )
As I have so many times, I certainly admire the uniquely.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1854 Views
32 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 13, 2015
Last Updated on August 4, 2018

Author

Richard🖌
Richard🖌

Houston, TX



About
~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~·&.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Windy Windy

A Story by Samuel Dickens


Thoughts Thoughts

A Poem by Lisasview