Write this in the Sand

Write this in the Sand

A Story by RileyRedding

In 5.4 billion years the sun will exhaust its hydrogen.

This will be earths curtain call.

Even before the sun becomes a red giant, the earth will be hotter than Venus.

That is, if we make it that long.

After all we're a walking talking, mass extinction event.

This is what I think about while I'm breaking her heart.

While I'm listening to her tell me how she'd rather argue with me than agree with anyone else.

While I'm finding the words to tell her how I've already made my decision.

Finding the words to tell her I've found nothing, but plentiful pain, and pitiful pleasure in trying to own her.

She's asking me what happened to forever.

And I'm telling her that just like Prozac. Forever has a half-life.

I can tell from the look in her eyes, that she's never going to accept my resignation.

So I lock myself in the bathroom.

Loving someone means protecting them. Even if that means from yourself.

So I down a bottle of Drano. Chase it with a couple shots of furniture polish. And for dessert?

You guessed it, Lemon Clorox.

All compliments of my bathroom sink bar-cart.

By the time she's convinced the neighbor to kick the door down.

The life is already leaving my eyes.

"So much for forever". She says.

"Forever's a long time."










© 2015 RileyRedding


Author's Note

RileyRedding
Ignore Grammar.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The concepts on your writings Riley are so strong at he risk of becoming overwhelming in that anything else gets obliterated by the structure itself. Though a narrative of sorts you don't seem to need developments of characters, you don't seem to rely on overpunctuation to denote a lyrical sonata. In fact in not many lines a dimension has just gone through at the speed of thought. From th factual statement of the longevity of our planet to the fragility of human relationships and the devastating effect that they could have upon our mental sanity. In the world of emotion that is like a googleplex of intensities yet amongst all the underlaying heavyness there also seems to be a fresh does of humour which makes me smile nervously as if I'm not sure I should be smiling at all.

As I have read a few of your wrtings I'm just getting warmed up here hoping for the next one to come I will smile sooner.

Thankyou

Posted 9 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Rene Salinas

9 Years Ago

Oh my! Stickly sweet? That would be the first time someone says that to me... The irony would not be.. read more
Daniel Towers

9 Years Ago

I'm a mystic in heart and mind and believe in a parallel internal/external reality where the life an.. read more
Jamie

9 Years Ago

I agree with Rene! Loved it!



Reviews

Not what I was expecting, I like the connection. Well written

Posted 6 Years Ago


I enjoyed reading this piece, sorry I'm just browsing through a few of your pieces. :) but anyways as I read this piece by the time i got to the end I loved how you wrapped it up, kind of a cynical humor flow to it, where you know it's a sad piece but you can't help but smile for some unknown reason. Great write!!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

WOW ! truly enjoyed this ! Awesome Job..
_Beyourself

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"This is what I think about while I'm breaking her heart."
when i was attending a boy scout meeting many years ago .. i followed three other boys out the door .. i discovered them all bent over and gasping for breath .. the infamous "Steele" brothers were waiting and hoping to catch the victim they wanted; but after three down the Steele brothers had disappeared when i crossed the doorway .. your lead in to that killer line is a punch to the gut just like those Steele boys threw .. and the tragic end with a twist of very wry humor ... makes for a very powerful read as far as i am concerned .. peace and joy!
E.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

If you can consistently locate the spring that feeds your well, You won't need a day job.

Congratulations.. I rarely read stories let alone enchantingly love them.


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
dan
Riley, One has to like your honest, unvarnished outlook expressed in your writing. Is it hard to hear, to fathom? Of course, honesty is often hard to face. Which is why human beings lie so much. It's much too easy, easier than exposing yourself to the truth and risking the pain THAT can bring up. "....the sink bar-cart?" Damn good. take care...dan

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow...

You are hands down the most interesting writer on here.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really enjoyed this, well done :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, I absolutely loved this! The beginning was definitely my favorite how you encompassed the world ending with ending your relationship with the girl. Amazing idea and you did a beautiful job writing it. Especially loved the "bathroom sink bar cart". Great poem.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very powerful piece, I thought the last couple of lines were really strong. This was such a unique concept, I can't think of another time where I've read something which involves someone doing something like this and that made it really interesting to read.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1872 Views
44 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on December 7, 2014
Last Updated on January 19, 2015

Author

RileyRedding
RileyRedding

Portland, OR



About
Hello, My name is Riley Redding. I'm a twenty-three year old hailing from the Great Pacific Northwest. I'm the author of several works of transgressive fiction. I write in a minimalistic style of sati.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aware Aware

A Poem by Sami Khalil