Alice

Alice

A Story by RuthS
"

A conversation overheard at a bus stop.

"

They were standing at the bus stop talking quietly between themselves, silhouetted by the light from the advertising panel.

‘I’m worried about this.’

‘I’ve told you there’s is no need for you worry, I’m old enough to look after myself.’

‘There can be all sorts of trouble in the city centre.’

‘I can take care of myself and I’ll stay away from trouble.’

‘But look at you,’ he sighed in exasperation.

‘I know; it’s long time since I dressed up for a night out on the town.’

‘But what’s with the fancy waistcoat and string tie ?’

‘I’m on a date.’

‘A date !, with who ?’

‘That’s none of your business and don’t you look at me like that. I never said nothing when you went out on dates.’

‘That’s not true; I had to tell you where I was going, who I was meeting up with and when I would be home.’

‘Yes well, you were younger then.’ There was a brief pause, ‘I’ve got cash on me for a taxi if I miss the bus home and I will call you on my mobile if I get stuck.’

‘That’s something I suppose, but who are you meeting up with, why all the secrecy ?’

‘It’s not a secret, it’s just personal like.’

 

After a few moments hesitation, ‘It’s Alice from my book club.’

‘ALICE !!’

‘Shhhhh keep your voice down.’

‘Why are you going on a date with her ?’

‘She was the one who invited me out.’

‘But….’

 

At that moment the bus arrived and they moved towards the door.

‘I will be fine, trust me.’

‘Ok, well I hope you have a good time I guess.’

‘Love you son.’

 

‘Love you too mum.’

© 2012 RuthS


Author's Note

RuthS
I was playing around with dialogue, trying to use dialogue to tell the story rather than use narrative prose.
I also wanted to play around with role reversal, instead of the parent worrying it is the child that's worrying and with breaking stereotypes by having the mother going on a lesbian date, or was that too opaque in the story??

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good; the story flows well from the dialogue. And dialogue is what makes a story interesting. Not sure why it's rated "Mature".

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
1 Review
Added on May 2, 2012
Last Updated on May 2, 2012

Author

RuthS
RuthS

Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom



About
Member of Liverpool Creative Writing Group. Enjoy writing Flash Fiction. In a relationship. more..

Writing
I'm fine I'm fine

A Story by RuthS