Morning News

Morning News

A Poem by Rita L. Sev
"

Too much saccharine with my morning java...

"

Good morning, Brittany!

Good morning, Ted!

In the news today,

Eighty-seven are dead!

 

An inferno, an accident,

An attack unsurpassed…

Now here’s Joe

With the weather forecast!

 

Thanks, Brittany!  Today,

There’ll be clouds with some sun,

Now here’s Beth with the traffic,

Won’t that be fun!

 

Good morning at home,

And thank you, Joe!

There’s an eight-car pileup,

And the going is slow!

 

Here’s our high-tech chopper

For a view that’s live ~

Look at that mess

On I-95!

 

Now back to the news desk ~

Brittany and Ted?

Wait’ll you hear

Which celebrities wed!

 

That’s all the news is,

A candied word-fest

Giving no time

For our minds to digest

 

Afraid that emotion

Would make it too real ~

God forbid, we allow

For the masses to feel

© 2013 Rita L. Sev


Author's Note

Rita L. Sev
I see the same simpering simpletons deliver the same newscast every day...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is so so true and have you ever realized new are full of bad news and if there is good news it comes at the end of the news.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

7 Years Ago

Absolutely - the good news is a distraction, a little fluff to end on... yuck!
News channels have lost their moral compass and became all about ratings and profit. News is more now about gossip, stirring up political sensations, divide and rule, working for the highest bidder and so forth. It is polluting our minds and the airwaves of many and many things. God help the next generation. An excellent write...:)................

Posted 7 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

7 Years Ago

God help the next generation, indeed, Sami! Thank you.
Sami Khalil

7 Years Ago

Yep. You are welcome...:).....................
Unbelievable! I'm really not on this site much these days but I am so glad I found this! You described my sentiments exactly (but as I recall we've been on the same page with many issues). The media is nothing more than a circus sideshow pandering for high ratings. It is such a sickness how they sensationalize every story with a cheesy smirk on their faces. Their insensitivity to the world around them is beyond inhumane, the corporate machine is a high level brainwashing mechanism that preys on the unsuspecting, some of us pay too close attention, I guess. MARVELOUS WRITE!!!!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words! You are absolutely right about the media being a "circus sideshow pa.. read more
 1

7 Years Ago

Amen! I agree 100%!
Very interesting & startling point of view. It's weird, but the masses seem to want to consume stuff that helps us process & normalize the madness going on in the world lately . . . yet at the same time, these same masses are also fixated on the tragedies, & have no attention span for any of the everyday good news that also happens constantly in individual lives everywhere. I have a problem with the way the news is packaged & meted out, so your poem come as a refreshing parody full of honest observations.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

7 Years Ago

Thanks so much, Barleygirl! You are right, it does seem that people want their news packaged in smal.. read more
barleygirl

7 Years Ago

I think TV news has ALWAYS been too superficial for me . . . just sensationalism. Back in the old da.. read more
yes ..it is too true ...important facts on up to date news is important and hard to find amidst the pundits ..but some when called news reporters do (for the most part) stick to the facts .. when CNN was the only station following what was happening in Iraq (way back when) i was glued to the programming ..now they have fallen to gossip and idle prattle ... love your poem! well said with you fine signature rhyme and rhythm :)
E.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

7 Years Ago

Thank you, E! You are right - even the stations that used to be reliable have fallen into the "Holly.. read more
Einstein Noodle

7 Years Ago

:( ....................
You've sure nailed this one Rita! They go through the newscast with serious stories, to humor, to "it's going to be a nice day, or??", and on to sports when all they are giving us is a 30 to 45 second spin on what they want us to hear.
Thanks for the synopsis of the morning, afternoon, evening, nightly news.
And I really like the font you have used; it fits in with the craziness of the characters! And great rhyming!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Sheila! Yep - that spin, on just what they want us to hear... ugh!
Uff...oh.. you did this well, Rita... made me wince. ( ; I don't know how they dress on the East Coast..but here on the West Coast..our morning, weather women are dressed in attire, you would wear to a cocktail party. I can only blame Hollywood for that. I do my best to avoid the tv news, and you nailed every reason why, perfectly !

Posted 7 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

7 Years Ago

Thanks, Renee - yes, our weather and traffic women dress pretty provocatively here, too. Crazy.
This was so great I came back to comment. It's an absolutely perfect depiction and your comments in the last two verses are spot on. Amazing piece of writing. Message, rhyme and rhythm all A+.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

8 Years Ago

Thank you, PF - happy you came back, and I appreciate your kind review!
Oh bravo! What a statement you made in this poem. I couldn't agree more. Love the way you made this read fast paced, just as the news seems to go. it's kind of blink and we'll miss it as if they want us to!
There's really no time to digest it.
A most wonderful poem indeed, as is all your writing!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Wordwarrior! Yes, they just zip by all the important news - no need for us to dea.. read more
Ah yes the good looking news "reporters"- I look for my news in a variety of places but very little of it comes from the television. Nice societal commentary in this poem. Plus, of course, the great rhyming.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thanks, Blue - I still put the news on in the morning, and try to look past the annoying grins and s.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1564 Views
54 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on May 27, 2013
Last Updated on May 27, 2013
Tags: news

Author

Rita L. Sev
Rita L. Sev

Philadelphia, PA



About
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE "FRIENDING" ME: I am happy to be sharing my poems (and occasional stories) and thrilled to be reading fellow authors. About Friend Requests - It is wise to READ some of .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..