Playground

Playground

A Poem by Rita L. Sev
"

Watch your memories when they come out to play

"

My memories came out to play ~

 

They climbed the jungle gym

and let the swings carry them

to soaring heights of elation

 

They ran the track

at lightning speed,

and passed the baton

from one to the other

 

Then down the long, slick slide they slid

          landing hard

in the gravel…

 

If you let your memories

out to play,

 

expect some tears.

 

© 2013 Rita L. Sev


Author's Note

Rita L. Sev
Just thinking about how a joyful memory can lead to a sad one...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like that term...yes its nice to let them come out and play...always bittersweet...I loved this Rita...:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Rose!
That is true about memories. They go every which way.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Yes, they do. Sometimes it takes us by surprise. Thanks for reading!
Your meaning might be a bit different than the one I find, but I certainly know the spirit of it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reading, Sam - I'd love to know your take on it. That's the point of art - everyone se.. read more
Samuel Dickens

10 Years Ago

Age and bad health, Rita. I used to be athletic and very active, but now I'm a Jabba the Hut. It's s.. read more
Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Memories of what we once were, tied into what we could once do. I understand that - and these too a.. read more
I don't let my memories out. I don't like the tears.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Sometimes, I don't either. Other times I don't see it coming... Thanks for reading.
Life as we live it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Yep. Thanks for stopping by, Chris!
Chris

10 Years Ago

It was a good day for "apples"
Connecting the playground and memories in general instantly made me think of MY own memories. If this was your intention this was a very smart way of doing it. If that was not your intention, this is still a very smartly written poem. I enjoyed it :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Casner! My intention is always - let the poem take you where it will! Glad you enjoyed!
Really Very Good work. Pen On. Do u read mine to Time, Anguish and Why?

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Lucky! I'll check out your poem today.
Gobinder Singh Dhindsa

10 Years Ago

Most welcome
an amazing piece, memories can make us happy and sad at the same time. Very nicely done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Voice!
Dear Rita

You are overdue a visit. So I thought I'd come and see what you are up to at the moment.

I picked this from the top of your list and immediately related.

I'll do a review in loosely numbered points this time.

1) Your structure is an unusual one, unique. You place the words on the page in a manner of your own choosing. The stanzas are of irregular length - as long as they take to make your point.

You inset the lines of the main stanzas other than the first. You punctuate at whim, sometimes leaving out full stops at the end of sentences, only for one at the end. I have this personal thing about punctuation. Do it fully throughout or not at all. You do a mix and match.

You choose not to rhyme.

There is a rhythm to the poem but at times a little irregular.

I guess this falls into the category of free or blank verse.

Other than my personal preference about punctuation, it works for me!

2) Use of English and allusion: You keep your language simple as befits the poem.

But you have plenty of allusion running round it.

You have the gym, the athletics track relay race and a children's playground slide.

They gel well together.

3) Meaning: Not hard to find. You mostly keep your poems transparent. And the opening quotes and author's note help.

It feels very like my poem 'For Simplicity's Sake' and my own lines there:

'However much benighted we seek out places we once lived excited.
There is as much mischief there we would also have to share.'

4) Impact and favourite lines: The notion of memory is a mixed bag for us all. Some are pleasant, but if we look hard enough, or even in the subconscious of our nightmares, the unpleasant and unforgiving of the past may pop up in the same search. The lurking demons.

Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca is my favourite novel and Hitchcock's rendition in his film with Sir Lawrence Oliver and Joan Fontaine my favourite film.

There are lines from the script of the film, which relate both to this piece and mine. They are:

Unnamed heroine: You know, I, I wish there,could be an invention, that bottled up the memory like perfume. And it never faded,never got stale. Then whenever I wanted to, I could uncork the bottle, and live the memory all over again.

Max de Winter: And what particular moment would you want to keep?

Unnamed heroine: Oh, all of them, all these last few days. I feel as though I'd, I'd collected a whole shelf full of bottles.

Max de Winter: Sometimes, you know, those little bottles contain demons, that have a way of popping out at you, just as you're trying most desperately to forget.

Sorry for the two references. But this is my personal emotional response to the powerful message your poem brings.

My favourite lines from your poem? The last:

'Then down the long, slick slide they slid
landing hard
in the gravel…
If you let your memories
out to play,
expect some tears.'

The sentiment of all I have said.

5) Overview: A gentle piece of free verse packed full of meaning.

Bravo!

Your friend


James

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you, James, for this thorough review! I actually share your opinion about punctuation (it's t.. read more
James Hanna-Magill

10 Years Ago

I'm glad all is well with you Rita. I always come over to your page out of fascination and knowing I.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

609 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 7, 2013
Last Updated on June 7, 2013
Tags: memories, joy, tears

Author

Rita L. Sev
Rita L. Sev

Philadelphia, PA



About
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE "FRIENDING" ME: I am happy to be sharing my poems (and occasional stories) and thrilled to be reading fellow authors. About Friend Requests - It is wise to READ some of .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Stiletto Stiletto

A Poem by Angi