Parting

Parting

A Poem by Rita L. Sev
"

and by M. J. Y. and Emily Dickinson

"

The whole movement of existence

Upon this we would mull;

Material to spiritual,

Slow but inevitable

 

We didn’t think, in naïve youth

We’d touch this truth so soon

But fate does not discriminate ~

No mortal is immune

 

And now when Life seems toilsome

In middle-aged ennui

My mind will turn to what we learn

In words from Emily

 

I did not understand them, then

But now I know too well ~

Parting is all we know of heaven,

And all we need of hell.

 

© 2013 Rita L. Sev


Author's Note

Rita L. Sev
On November 5, 1990 a dear friend was killed in a car accident; she was 22. She had introduced me to the poems of Emily Dickinson, and when I read "My Life Closed Twice..." in my lucky innocence I said, "I don't get it." She said that I would someday...

The italicized lines in the first stanza are Mindy's, from a poem she had written. The final lines, of course, are Emily's.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's amazing the understanding that comes with age. How sad you lost your friend when she was so young. I lost my first boyfriend in a car accident when he was only 18....so I understand the emotional spiral that sets off. Mindy was already a good poet at her age. What a shame she could not share more of her thoughts and words. Emily Dickinson's words mean different things at different stages of our lives...I wonder if she realized that and wrote them knowing. Guess we'll never know. Your heart is in this one, Rita. Beautifully written. lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Lydi...
All that lives must surely someday die and just about the only thing we can all be sure of as we journey through life !

A pleasant rhyming poem, soulfully and spiritually penned with a concise moral message! A little gem indeed Rita ! Bravo !!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Tom.
I love this poem by Emily Dickenson...I think I always understood this poem on some level...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

I was young, and it was something I had to experience before I understood... Thank you, Marie.
Wonderful tribute and realization! Powerfully written! Because we're rhyming poets in unison, I don't think the first stanza has any issues! It rhymed perfectly well for me, of course it's all how words are pronounced; but I got it right away! Thanks for sharing.....

Gus O.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Gus. I reworked that stanza quite a bit to accommodate my words with Mindy's. ap.. read more
Chills down my spine with this one, Rita. A frightening discovery that we all make at some point along our life's journey. I love the rhyme and the almost melodic flow of this piece. It reads very well, although the first stanza is slightly awkward. That said, it is a very strong poem. Amazing job, my friend.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Will. I know the flow in the first stanza id different, but I wanted to include .. read more
Will

10 Years Ago

Understandable. It's a great piece, Rita, for sure.
Sorry for losing such a dear friend, at least she departed having left you with something and am glad now you understand

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Cassie
it takes years and much experience to get it...

but we finally get it...love emily.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

And one you get it, you never forget... Thank you, Jacob.
I am reminded of the Corinthians for some reason. Powerful piece of love and acceptance.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Pryde.
I haven't met literally any of the three great ladies but they are all wonderful( a compliment to you too) . All talented with living talents...:)...................

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Sami. I am honored to share this space with their words...
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

You are welcome...:).................
Oh Rita...this immediately made me think of a friend who died in her early twenty's. She had married her highschool sweetheart and they had a baby boy. Then she was diagnosed with cancer...passed barely a year later. So terribly sad. Thank you for sharing this poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

So sad... There are just no guarantees... Thank you, Red, for reading and connecting.
redflutterby

10 Years Ago

No there isn't...even more reason to appreciate each day. You're welcome!!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1573 Views
35 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on November 5, 2013
Last Updated on November 9, 2013

Author

Rita L. Sev
Rita L. Sev

Philadelphia, PA



About
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE "FRIENDING" ME: I am happy to be sharing my poems (and occasional stories) and thrilled to be reading fellow authors. About Friend Requests - It is wise to READ some of .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Belize Belize

A Poem by redflutterby