Retic

Retic

A Story by Luix Rives
"

A kings fear outcast those known as Retics. Alec has only known to hide his true identity, staying hidden in plain sight, but when he returns to the village where it started, he comes out of hiding

"

Retics

Alec never truly understood what a Retic was or their purpose. He gathered information throughout his life from information passed down and his own personal experiences suggesting different outlooks but nothing to fully answer his question. From what he gathered, a Retic is an outcast race who was hunted down because of their ability to use magic. Differentiating a Retic to another person the similarities were too near.  King Aldain, many years ago, feared Retics would one day rise against his kingdom. It was still unknown if it was due to paranoia or another reason but some believed it was nearly impossible to defeat Retics with their ability to use magic, leading him to conjure a plan to purge the race, slaying any fear of losing his kingdom.

This is how his father met his mother. His father name was Dante, a knight for the kingdom of Holdum, proud warriors who were well known in lands of Elegna. His father use to explain the internal battle he had with himself between the ethics behind the kings decision and the code of chivalry. During one of the raids, they came into contact with a village of Retics. The company was unprepared and with the Retics skill and capabilities, they were taken by surprise quickly defeating them and almost decapitating him in the process. He was still unaware why he was taken but Kyrie, his mother, was the one assigned to heal him. During his time there, Dante became infatuated with the Retics style of living and learned more about the race paving the way of falling in love with Kyrie.

His father talked wonderful about his mother, telling of stories of how fascinating she was. All Alec had were stories; he never truly got to meet her. After his parents met and Alec was born the King sent bigger forces to deal with Retics. The village was again under attack but this time they overwhelmed the village, killing everyone including his mother in the process. His father in desperation managed to barely escape with him in tow.

His father never told him that version of the story. He would always cover the details about his mother being a Retic and their existence. Growing up in the village Loraine the thought of him being different never came to mind. Loraine is the village where they ended after the raid. He was still at the tender age of three when it occurred so his recollection of everything that happened prior was vague. The village was small, mostly a trading outpost as it laid between the two countries of Elegna and Valice. They took them in immediately and as a thank you his father became the guardian of the village, protecting it from thieves and crises.

The village looked the same as it did eight years ago before that night. He kept to himself his hood hanging over his head ensuring his face was covered. There was fear someone may recognize him but after walking around for awhile he didn’t notice anyone in particular. Memories did stream into his head, what little he had left of his home. Certain landmarks weren’t present anymore but he was familiar with the area enough to know.At one time an open training ground laid next to the inn where a building now stood. It was where his father would teach him in the art of combat, guilt surfaced at the thought of his father. He hadn’t seen his father since he left, vowing always to come back to see him but every time the thought surfaced, it was quickly pushed away. It was mostly out of fear but it shouldn’t have mattered it was his father.

“Can I help you sir?” A male at the door of the inn asked him. He hadn’t realized he stopped in front of the building as his thoughts carried him. Alec turned to see who it was, catching the surprised reaction of his face before it appeared. He couldn’t think of his name but the face he could. It was the innkeeper who use to come out and watch the training sessions.

“Yes…could you direct me to the cemetery?” Alec asked keeping calm.

The innkeeper held a confused expression as he answered “Continue down that direction” He pointed down the road. “Once you get to the end you will see it near the forest.” 

“Thank you” He quickly replied with a nod as he turned.

Alec located the cemetery on the outskirts of the village, housed inside the trees of the forest giving privacy to anyone who came. It was noticeably bigger than he remembered, causing his gut to stir the guilt laden within. The area was kept nicely tended, different from ones he seen in other parts of the Elegna but he recalled the townspeople cared for each other more considerably in Loraine. His eyes scanned the scattered plots, sadly recognizing a few of the names and the dates that coincide with that night. He looked for one in particularas he stepped through the sites, coming across one that held a medallion his father bared.

He still didn’t know what truly happened that night eight years ago. There were fragments but he’s fought with them for so many years, keeping them hidden, nearly impossible to bring them forward. Elegna and Valice were in the entry level of a possible war. Valice had planned an invasion and Loraine being in between both countries was subject to the first unknown attack. He was nine when it happened, the night his father was killed in front of him while defending everyone as they tried to escape. It was also the first time he experienced what a Retic was and what they were capable of, but he couldn’t recall what happened. In the aftermath he remembered waking up next his father as the area around him was gone. Houses, buildings, everything within a hundred yard radius were gone and in the middle sat him and his father.

 Alec didn’t understand then but his father had survived the explosion he caused. The abilities of Retics range very differently when compared to Magic. Each individual is connected to their ability in mind, body and spirit, meaning it will adapt according to what the individual needs consciously or subconsciously, for example shielding his father from the effects of the explosion he caused. He was able to speak to his father one last time before he passed on.“Son of mine I’m sorry I never told you what you are…stay strong…know that I love you” were the last words he heard him say with a smile before passing on.

He continued to look at his father’s headstone the memories clearer than it had been in many years. He remembered being scared at what he did and what he was even though he was the cause of the invasion coming to a halt, he couldn’t forgive himself and was in fear what would happen if people found out. He heard the stories and knew they were hunted down. All of that mixed in with seeing the townsfolk crying and in pain, his home gone, and the lost of a childhood friend he still didn’t have the heart to bring her up, the memory of her laying in her parents arms motionless.He tried to dragging his father, but it was to no avail. Tears streamed down his face, he lost everything dear to him in a matter of seconds. He bent down to his father, hugged his lifeless body and ran from the village.

It took him eight years but he finally found the heart to come back. Even it wasn’t his home anymore his father still laid there.

“Sorry it took me so long” He began to whisper, not was sure what to say, he was more worried about coming here he didn’t acknowledged this part. “I’ve been okay…surviving. I met another like me and he’s been taking care of me.”

After he ran away he didn’t where to go. He just ran until his body gave out. When he came to he found himself in the back of a wagon. A drifter, Diego who was ten years his senior, had found him in the woods. After he took him in, Diego told him he was also a Retic. He understood what Alec went through, losing both is parents and being a Retic. He taught him a lot throughout the years, combat, the history of Retics, and how to use his abilities. It was how he learned Retics were able to identify each other. Each Retic held different abilities, Diego for example abilities tied in with shadows. It didn’t seem like much at first but when he showed him his abilities Alec was stunned. He used shadows of any type to travel any distance and could view things occurring almost as if he was looking through a window. Diego jumped through different shadows in the woods the first time he showed him. He appeared in the trees and behind bushes in an instant.

“I wasn’t alone and we stuck together the entire time.” Alec continued to talk to his father. “He didn’t think it was a good idea for me to come here, but I’ve been running so long…I had to come see you.”

Diego was against any notion of Alec getting exposed, even if it meant not seeing his father. Alec knew it was all out of protection. They have had to live unique lives, hiding themselves from everyone in any village, town or kingdom they went to. It was simple when no one knew who they were but with Alec going back to Loraine Diego feared he would be recognized.

“Do you think they will accept you!?” Diego yelled in displeasure.

“I’m going to see my father, not be accepted, plus no one will know.” Alec answered back.

Diego paced back and forth outside in the open courtyard “There will always be someone there that will recognize you, I know you think there won’t but someone will. We have been alive and safe for this long because of avoiding situations like this. Just think what will happen if word gets out that Retics are alive and roaming around.”

Alec knew exactly what would happen. It’s been awhile but it would call widespread panic and hunters. After a few close calls Diego came up with the plan to blend it within the society instead of being on the outside. At least in the inside they were among many shielding them from being known.

“It’s my father…” Alec replied

“I can’t be a part of it, I’m sorry…” Diego finished as he walked towards the house.

He did miss his friend as it’s been a few months but he planned to make amends after he completed this, but to him this was more important.

Alec heard the sound of foliage being walked on turning his attention away from his thoughts and onto the coming person. It was a female, who had auburn hair that laid across her shoulders, cream colored skin, and a beautiful aura that surrounded her. She was deep in thought as her expression seemed distant. She held flowers probably for whoever she came up here for.Alec thought she was very attractive but thought it would be nothing more than a quick memory he would store and never deal with again. To his surprise she continued walking to where he stood, she didn’t look at him but her path was in his direction, so he became even more nervous when she stopped next to him.

“Oh, I’m sorry” She said startled “I didn’t know anyone else was here…Sorry” She said with a smile that disappeared quickly.

“That’s okay” Alec said returning the quick smile and turning his attention back to his father’s grave.

She looked at where she stood confirming where she was. “Were you a friend of his?” She asked pointing to the headstone of his father’s.

“My father was…I knew him vaguely but he was close to my father and felt I should pay my respects to both of them.” Alec said convincingly. He had came up with a false background story in case someone did become suspicious.

“He was a great man” the female started “He use to be the guardian of our village.” A hint of sadness could be heard.

Alec then became interested on how she knew him. “Sounds like you were close”

“I was and also to his son…they both were killed in an attack years back” She continued “I come up here to see both of them on the anniversary of that day.”

Alec hadn’t realized it was the anniversary. He tried keeping his emotions hidden from this stranger but at the moment really found it hard, but who was this person who would come up to see them. He didn’t get a very look at her and has yet to turn to see her.

“What’s your name?” She asked

“My name is A…Aldon. Yours?” still not finding it in him to turn towards her.

“Trinity” She stuck her hand out “Nice to meet you Aldon.”

Alec couldn’t believe what he heard, Trinity, it couldn’t be, he remembered clearly her lying lifeless in her parents arms. He turned slowly as he grabbed her hand. Her hands soft but he could tell she was a hard worker. He took a quick peek at her face but couldn’t turn away at the sight. Her blue eyes, the same blue eyes as his childhood friend had, with the hint of green that lied in her right eye. Trinity was close to both Alec and his father, she often was around when they trained and often trained with them. He couldn’t believe he was looking at her.

“Nice to meet you too.” He slowly said.

She smiled again, the vision of the younger version of Trinity coming to mind, the same smile. She took her flowers parted them, put some in front of his fathers and walked to another headstone behind his and made her way back into town.

Alec looked behind his father’s headstone to see where she lied the other half of flowers to see it was indeed a headstone made for him. They thought of him dead, they had no clue of what he did. He didn’t know if it was a good or bad thing and it would be something he would need to think about later.

Horns were heard in the distance bringing him to focus and Trinity dead in her tracks. The horn was used to identify when danger was near and where for the guardian. The series was one long and two short, south by south east. Trinity started running and Alec found he wasn’t too far behind her. His mind raced, what was it? Why would they sound the horn?

The townsfolk were running frantically to their homes and places that were safe. Trinity to his surprise was still running towards the direction of the danger. He didn’t think about it much but kept running himself.

He saw someone run out of the building next to the inn, throw something at Trinity yelling “Raiders.” Alec couldn’t believe what he was seeing. Trinity was the guardian of the village now.

Alec reached Trinity when she stopped in an open field. She looked at Alec “What are you doing here!?” surprised.

“I could ask you the same, but looks like you need the help.” Alec answered. Trinity was too focused at what was at hand to sit there and argue. She unsheathed her sword and set up. Alec looked down and saw a small group charging towards the village.

“Who are they?” Alec asked

“Raiders…” he could see she had doubts on informing him but continued “They hit us a few times in the past months.” She looked over at him. “They like to flank so watch your sides.”

Alec unsheathed his blades from his back “Got it.”

They stood there as the raiders got closer. He could count about of dozen of them and as he was formulating a strategy in his mind. He was going to relay his plan to Trinity as they got closer but she had charged at them unexpectedly. Alec was impressed with her sudden surge and charged behind her.

Trinity was agile slipping in techniques and dodging attacks with great speed. Alec didn’t have too much time to admire as he found himself on the defensive. He had to constantly turn his focus around him, knowing he had to take each out quickly. He was battle tested not only in his Retic abilities but in swordplay too. His blades moving around fluidly as they contacted flesh, his eyes focused knowing where Trinity was, paying attention to her movements. The raiders were determined at first, but after a few of them fell there was a lot of hesitation. Shortly after Trinity and Alec were making a strong push towards those that were left, attacking and covering each other’s side. The raiders turned and flee when they realized they were no match for the both of them.

They both looked at each, breathing hard but impressed with each other abilities. Trinitys expression on her face changed quickly at the sight behind him. Alec turned and saw there were more raiders, a lot more. It almost looked like the time before was happening again. He couldn’t believe it.

Trinity came up next to him “What are we going to do?” A faint of shock her in voice. “We need to get out of here!”

He thought a few seconds but knew what he needed to do. It was a risk and he was probably going to have to disappear again afterwards.

“Stand back.” pushing her behind him. Trinity was ready to argue but the glow coming up Alec’s arms stopped her

Alec stepped forward, remembering all his training, focusing his mind as his powers surrounded around him. The power surged inside of him until he unleashed releasing a light of power cascading onto the oncoming attack shaking the earth. The plain was destroyed and a lot of the raiders were gone and the few that managed to survive quickly turned foot and ran. Alec looked around somewhat impressed but then remembered Trinity was still near. He turned around to face her expecting to see a sword at his throat or the fear of a Retic in her eyes but he turned to see her on the ground with a look of awe on her face.

He didn’t know what to do in the situation and figured he should just go and leave but before he had a chance to go Trinity called out “Wait!”

Alec looked back, afraid to make contact with her. She came up close to him

“Don’t worry I’m not going to hurt you, I knew a Retic before.” She followed

The question in his eyes gave her an indication of what he wanted to ask. “Someone from long ago. You don’t have too run, were not like other places…”

Alec stood quiet but continued to look at Trinity.

“We actually owe our lives to one. If it wasn’t for him our village would have been destroyed with us also.” She continued scanning him as if she was looking for any indication. “You are more than welcome to stay as long as you need. Please consider it.”

He wasn’t sure how to respond, should he tell her who he was, stay, go.

“Okay…I need to go back to the village and let them know what happened.” She stood a few moments more. “Whatever you want to do I understand.” She smiled again and made her way back to the village.

Alec stood out in the plain alone, looking around trying to find some clarity. He didn’t expect this to happen but he was happy that he did. He caught a glimpse of a shadow behind him but at the recognition of his spirit his alarmed quickly turned.

“Seems like I was wrong” the voice behind said

“Glad you decided to come after all.” Alec said with a smile.

“So you plan to stay?” He asked

“I think my father would have expected me too.” The memory of his father surfacing. Why don’t you come too?”

“Nah…as much as I would to be a part of this…I like our current life better.” He laughed. “Plus you’re going to have your hands full telling that girl who you actually are.”

He knew that day was going to come and figure it would be one day soon. At least for now he could be accepted in the place he called home.

“I will one day” Alec answered.

Laughing could be heard behind him. “I can’t wait to hear about it. I’ll see you around Alec.” The spirit disappearing as fast as it came.

“You too Diego.” And made his way towards the village.

 

 

© 2016 Luix Rives


Author's Note

Luix Rives
Please let me know your thoughts on story, strength and weaknesses. I would like to expand on this story. I am aware of grammer issues but if anything really pops out please let me know.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a good start.
I agree that you should expand this story out. There is an awful lot of back story for a short story like this and I think the pacing would benefit from having all that information revealed over the course of a much longer story, rather than all up the front.
I like the setting. A world where magic users are feared and hunted down is very interesting.
Good job and keep working on it.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

374 Views
1 Review
Added on March 13, 2016
Last Updated on March 13, 2016
Tags: #fantasy #magic

Author

Luix Rives
Luix Rives

Las Vegas, NV



About
I have countless dreams and an endless imagination that I want to share. I enjoy writing stories and making something that I can say, yeah that was me :)~ more..

Writing