Patio Design: Houston Remodeler Cites Importance of Pool Remodels

Patio Design: Houston Remodeler Cites Importance of Pool Remodels

A Story by Rogerferreira
"

When it comes to patio design, Houston outdoor designer Wayne Franks knows the importance of pool remodeling and makeovers.

"


When it comes to patio design, Houston outdoor designer Wayne Franks knows the importance of pool remodeling and makeovers.

 

"In Houston, patio design should be seen as integrated components that are visually tied together, for a cleaner, more coordinated look, and pools play a big part in that because of their size and use as a focal point," says Franks. "That's why you should make sure to match or at least harmonize elements like the waterline tile of a pool to the backsplash of an outdoor kitchen."

 

The importance of an updated pool to Patio design in Houston, Texas �" where outdoor living takes place year ‘round �' really hit home when the owner of Outdoor Homescapes of Houston realized his own pool desperately needed a remodel. 

 

"Our plaster pool was 20 years old and had started to crack and crumble," explains Franks. "Not only was the crumbled plaster it unappealing, but algae would settle into the cracks and it cost extra time and money to keep the water clear and blue. It needed scrubbing and more chlorine.”

In fact, the average life of pool plaster, explains Franks, is 10 to 15 years. That’s why you need to at least recoat and reseal yours as part of patio designs. Houston homeowners perhaps need to replace theirs more often, he admits, since they can use their pool for so many months. But either way, once your plaster starts to disintegrate, you’re going to waste time and money dealing with issues like clogged filters and algae growth. 

The remodel of his 15-by-30-foot free-form pool took only five days, Franks says, and was well worth the effort. “It made me realize just how important pools are to the overall function and aesthetics of outdoor living spaces."


To remove and replace the concrete and plaster, Outdoor Homescapes first had to drill a hole in the bottom of the pool and then drain it. "Otherwise, the pool will literally float on the ground water surrounding the pool because of the pressure of that water pushing upward on the pool once it's drained," explains Franks. "Sometimes, concrete and plaster pools will have a built-in hydrostatic relief valve that solves this problem. But this one didn't, so we had to create our own."


Then, after draining, the next step was to power wash and chisels off all the old concrete and plaster and replace.


For other pool remodels, Outdoor Homescapes offers decorative plaster or plaster with colorful quartz or art glass mixed into it. They also offer mosaics, extensive waterline and coping tile selections through Master Tile and state-of-the-art pool finishes like Pebble Tec.


Surrounding hardscapes can also be updated with everything from natural stone to designer concrete. "We did a grey concrete floor overlay in the furnished area of our space with a fractured earth pattern to it," notes Franks.


As is the case with many pools more than 10 years old, Franks’ was also overdue for a water line tile replacement. "It was an old, outdated, dark blue,” says Franks. “Now it's an earth tone, to match the 'Buckskin' flagstone coping. We went with a neutral color for more of a clean look. But it has so many variations and depth to it, it's anything but boring."

The new, 3-inch square tile, part of Master Tile's “Volcano” series, also serves as a decorative accent on the pool steps.


For existing Houston patio designs with mismatching elements, Outdoor Homescapes' team of designers helps clients coordinate materials, textures and finishes. For new projects, they develop an overall master plan with harmonizing, timeless decor and design elements in the current project so it can accommodate future additions and changes.


"Patio designers in Houston �" and everywhere �" should make sure materials in outdoor living spaces tie the space together," says Franks. "It's just as important to keep them up to date and integrated with your home and all its outdoor living elements.”

 

About Author:

More information on Patio Design Houston can be found at Outdoor Homescapes of Houston’s website, at

© 2015 Rogerferreira


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
Added on July 15, 2015
Last Updated on July 15, 2015
Tags: Backyard Patio Houston, Outdoor Kitchen Fridge

Author

Rogerferreira
Rogerferreira

Houston, TX



About
In Houston, patio design should be seen as integrated components that are visually tied together, for a cleaner, more coordinated look, and pools play a big part in that because of their size and use .. more..

Writing