Shattered Illusions

Shattered Illusions

A Poem by Rogue

In the days before illusion I did not like you much.
"Stop"
I hesitated.
"I have a gift for you."
I let curiosity win out and opened the package. "Glasses?"
"Yes. Try them on."
They were strange looking. Their opaque lenses shining in the light. I carefully lifted them from the box and slipped them on.
Oh how wonderful! Everything around me became brighter and lighter. It was as if time had no bearing on the living things I saw.
I turn to look at you, gently caressing your cheek with my fingers. "Beautiful."
You kiss my palm "Now tell me you love me."
"I do. I do love you."
We smile.
Perfect..

I sit and push my glasses up onto the bridge of my nose, for what must be the hundredth time that day. They are getting old, worn and stretched are the frames and they no longer fit properly. "Do you see that there?"
"See what?"
"That spot."
"No."
"It is right there." I run a nail across it. "It's a chip in the surface."
You smoothly slide your hand over it as you bend to kiss me.
"Perfect." You whisper against my lips.
I lose the thought..

My glasses slipped off my face and fell to the floor today.
I sat down and cried amidst the pieces.
I cried as I watched you pack and leave.

Months later, I finger the shattered remnants on their bed of cotton, in the little jewelry box I keep them in now.
As the morning sun catches them up within it's rays, it casts little rainbows on the walls about the room.
How beautiful.
How perfect.
I cry..

© 2013 Rogue


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow! Yet again, reading your work is like you are writting my own life down. Losing someone who brought such depth to the life we lead. This was beautiful and tragic. You structured the piece perfectly... the twists of emotion puts a smile on your face, then chokes you. Powerful!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rogue

10 Years Ago

"the twists of emotion puts a smile on your face, then chokes you."
And with that, I think you.. read more
Travis Gibson (poetic heroics)

10 Years Ago

That I do. Its always more than a pleasure.



Reviews

When we reminisce something we wish it would be the most beautiful memory we had from the past...so that we may be enlightened. But really, there are many things we can't forget...whether good or bad. And the most painful realization is...we often remember those sad things which happened to us.

Love makes us alive...and sometimes pushes us to the grave. When we lose someone, we feel we also die with him/her.

This is a very moving piece.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Whether seen as metaphorical or actual, this piece packs a punch. Taken together, even more so. A double whammy. Just the right length, well-chosen words--you've created a gem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rogue

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Sam. That was wonderfully kind of you to say. Through pain comes true art? -tapes both my.. read more
Wow is right. A very thought provoking poem. Those metaphorical glasses we put on when we fall for someone who seems to be perfect and make the world perfect because they are in it and we are just so blessed to be in it with them. And when those illusions fade the heartbreak and devastation that takes their place makes life doing a complete turnaround. The ones we love the most are the ones who hurt us the most. We can all relate to this piece rogue. I know horror is your niche and in it's own subtle all-too-real way, this may be your most horrific tale. I think a psycho with a knife or a hockey-masked stalker would be more preferable. The pain would be over quick and not hang around forever in a little jewelry box to haunt you.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rogue

10 Years Ago

The pain was fresh and sharp at the writing. One I don't wish to experience again, but I am glad it .. read more
A rolling stone collecting a superbly graphic, beautiful, touching story here. Am sitting, eyes wide open, and swear- hand on heart that I gasped at the ending and felt like crying. The way this free verse, open prose, wonder of wonders unfolds, really is special.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rogue

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Emma.
I truly appreciate you taking the time to read it and share your thoughts and.. read more
Wow! Yet again, reading your work is like you are writting my own life down. Losing someone who brought such depth to the life we lead. This was beautiful and tragic. You structured the piece perfectly... the twists of emotion puts a smile on your face, then chokes you. Powerful!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rogue

10 Years Ago

"the twists of emotion puts a smile on your face, then chokes you."
And with that, I think you.. read more
Travis Gibson (poetic heroics)

10 Years Ago

That I do. Its always more than a pleasure.
god, this is gut wrenching....

what a story weaved into this poem...

"it's perfect"

and as we learn, perfect is only a state of mind, and often perfect is not at all perfect!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rogue

10 Years Ago

Nothing ever really is, is it? Just a state our minds convince us of I think. Thank you, Jacob. It w.. read more
The scene of your crying touched my heart.
How wonderfully old glasses created little rainbows on the walls about the room!
Beautiful work,indeed!


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rogue

10 Years Ago

The rainbow shards of dead dreams, my friend.
And I am glad the emotion came across enough fo.. read more
zainul

10 Years Ago

May be I have to understand its underlying meaning in greater details later.
But,I am satisfie.. read more
This is very different, it reminds me of the time right after my divorce, well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rogue

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and your words shared here. :)
I have no illusions in my shattered self that you are a great writer...Bravo...:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rogue

10 Years Ago

You know, this was the very first piece of poetry/prose I wrote in twenty years. It was written else.. read more
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

Wow. Good to know...You are welcome...:)
This is so good, Rogue. You knew something was wrong. Those rose colored glasses made you forget. Remembering the good parts holds a sting. Loved this. Angi~

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rogue

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Angi. I really appreciate that as this piece has particular meaning to me. :)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

376 Views
15 Reviews
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on December 26, 2012
Last Updated on June 30, 2013

Author

Rogue
Rogue

About
What can I say? I enjoy writing. Although I dabble in several different genres, I eventually end up back in the realm of Horror. Both pointing out the every day disguised "Monsters" among us and cre.. more..

Writing
Chapter one Chapter one

A Chapter by Rogue


Chapter two Chapter two

A Chapter by Rogue


Chapter three Chapter three

A Chapter by Rogue



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..