Symbolic

Symbolic

A Story by Rogue
"

Alternate History short story

"
Modern Day

Brandon had reached a dead end. Nothing but brick wall in front of him. He turned, placing his back against it. The big, black Mercedes inching closer.
He might be able to jump up onto the hood and scramble over the car when it got up on him. As if the driver sensed his thoughts, it picked up speed.
He felt his thigh bones snap and splinter as the shiny bumper pushed him into the brick. His top half slumped over the hood. Sweeping his hands around he tried to find anything to grab on to. Just a little leverage to pull himself up onto the car.
The Mercedes gave a growl as it's driver gave it gas.
The hood ornament snapped off between his fingers and a great spray of blood shot up and out of his mouth.
He could barely feel the pain anymore. He was finished. So many things he wished he had done differently. So much he would change..

When he opened his eyes, he was standing in a barn. Was he dead? You've been put out to pasture, old boy.
Smiling in spite of himself, he told the sarcastic part of his brain to shut the hell up.
He tried to get his bearings and make sense of it. How was he here, standing in hay? What had happened? He took a few steps forward. Nothing wrong with his legs. In fact, there seemed to be nothing wrong with him at all. Pulling open the door, his breath caught in his chest as he took in the outside.
Beautiful, green rolling fields as far as the eye could see. Wildflowers dotting the surface in patches here and there. The sun was shining brightly down on him as it warmed his face. Gathering up his courage, Brandon wandered out into the day, carefully closing the barn door behind him.

*************

1958

As he pulled open the barn door, he glanced at the young woman clutching his hand. "Here we are, Meggie."
"But Gerald, it's the middle of the day! What if someone sees us go in?"
"No-one is going to see us. Look around. There's nobody for miles."
He quickly pulled her inside and brought his mouth down on hers to silence any further protests. By the time they reached the haystack they had each others shirts off and he was working on her bra.
He tumbled backward, pulling her on top of him. Finally, he had gotten those infernal little hooks undone, when he felt something cold and hard digging into his back. He reached beneath him and his hand encountered something small and metal.
He stopped kissing Meggie and pulled it out from under him to have a look. He peered at it closely. Why, this was it! Maybe if he extended that middle line straight down.. Yes! Perfect! He'd spent months trying to figure out..
"Gerald? What is it?"
"Huh?" He shook his head. "Nothing, Meggie. I have to go."
The little brunette sat back on her heels and pouted. "Go? But we were going to.."
"I know. I know. I promise, I'll make it up to you another time."
She seemed less than pleased by this answer. He pulled his shirt over his head and rushed from the barn.
He looked at the little metal circle in his hand again. Yes, He'd complete that line in the new design. Finally! Finally! They would have an actual symbol for Peace for the British Disarmament Movement!

© 2013 Rogue


Author's Note

Rogue
Please keep in mind that although Mercedes Benz did in fact exist in this time, it was only 13 years after WWII. Being a German made car, it would not have been widely received outside of Germany in many European Countries or America. Also, TV was a fairly new technology. Not many had it yet and mass commercial advertisement is still many years into the future. Most people (unless German or a serious car enthusiast) would not have recognized the MB emblem in 1958.
So, I thought I'd have a little fun with it. It is only the difference in length of one line that separates the two. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm sorry. I have to say it--Gerald is a dummy. It's okay to be enthusiastic about one's work, but to abandon the little brunnette in the heat of passion just ain't natural. Maybe, just maybe, he received some corrections on all counts.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Rogue

11 Years Ago

Hahahaha What a delightful perspective you have, Sam. :)
Thank you.
Samuel Dickens

11 Years Ago

I can't help it. I used to be young and have never gotten over it.
A cruel act of violence that will lead to a movement of peace... What an inspirational tale... You kept us on our toes with this one... Did Brandon survived his ordeal? Is he in a 1958 from a different timeline...? Love how you leave the mystery intact. The structure is tight and the two halves are well balanced. Would have like to see Meggie get a bit naughtier, but there was no time I guess! ;) I'm just kidding... Very good write my friend!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Rogue

11 Years Ago

I am glad you liked this one, JP.
When I step out of my comfort zone, those darned insecuriti.. read more
sithlordjp

11 Years Ago

you're welcome! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 31, 2013
Last Updated on January 31, 2013

Author

Rogue
Rogue

About
What can I say? I enjoy writing. Although I dabble in several different genres, I eventually end up back in the realm of Horror. Both pointing out the every day disguised "Monsters" among us and cre.. more..

Writing
Chapter one Chapter one

A Chapter by Rogue


Chapter two Chapter two

A Chapter by Rogue


Chapter three Chapter three

A Chapter by Rogue



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Perfidy Perfidy

A Story by Rogue


Reflection Reflection

A Poem by Rogue