Obsessions

Obsessions

A Story by Rohan Tandon
"

Obsessions are GOOD!

"

Every once in a while we, frail light-headed creatures as we are, find ourselves strangely drawn to a particular object or person; can be anything. That strange, sudden liking grows, and morphs into something a lot deeper, having successfully etched its mark upon our being.  It's not long before that harmless little object of desire demands not only our appreciation but a lot more. Needy and desperate, like a little parasite, it continues its mission to drain us of time, demanding all the love we have to offer. Temporary as they may be, they drain us of all we have to give, until it's time for them to move on, leaving us barren, confused, and asinine, with only a small mark as a reminder of their pit-stop. Going through the shaky time of adolescence is probably like going through a dense tropical marsh, and by the time we've crossed through, we are bruised all over with a whole lot of these reminders.  Or at least, that is how most people view an 'obsession'.

 

I too have been gripped by numerous obsessions, probably more so than others, as I am not exactly the most grounded of people out there. Things catch onto me pretty fast; words of wisdom, troublesome past lives of the rich and famous, relapses, recoveries, eccentricities, latest trends of music, trends of movies, even trends of defying trends! So it should not come as a surprise to anyone that my personality has been massively damaged by huge doses of obsessions, some which I have been able to shake off in a few days, while some stay with me for years! It is near impossible to summarize the extremes I have traversed for my obsessions.

 

Moving on, I have been told by a friend that we can't let obsessions incarcerate us and we have to escape as fast as possible because they make us dedicate all this time to their cause (time which could have been spent far more constructively.) At the end, they're nothing but a mere phase that we are passing through, and once these parasites called 'obsessions' unhook themselves, we are lost and dazed, feeling listless for having dedicated all that time to such a lost cause, which no longer holds any meaning to us. All that time, maybe years of our lives, lose all meaning because all our actions then have been made under the intoxicated high of an obsession. Maybe she has a point. After all, it does make a lot of sense. But I like to think of myself as an optimist, at times. And in this case, the glass is definitely brimming to the top.

 

I don't know if it holds true for everyone, but whenever I've developed an obsession, it has always been because I can relate to that particular object of desire. Sometimes, it triggers memories forgotten. Sometimes, they help me through a certain time in my life. As for the dedicating time better spent doing something constructive aspect of it all? I think one is most constructive when he is obsessed. That is the sole meaning of obsession isn't it? Everything you do revolves around your obsession. But why has that got to be a bad thing? I think the journey towards satiating a seemingly insatiable obsession is what gets us to really dig deep into ourselves and find hidden talents that might never have been found otherwise. In fact, the reason you are probably reading this little piece of writing is because of the magic a past obsession has played upon me. If you continue to think of obsessions as a drug, then surely you must have heard of medicinal marijuana!

 

Once we have moved on, all our actions during that obsessed period seems silly and juvenile to us. It embarrasses us. But just as the bruises we endure form a part of us and make us stronger, the silly actions we commit in our obsession makes us wiser. They all form a part of us, they define us and they have their very own stories to tell! Finally, I'd just like to say that just because you're obsessed doesn't mean you're OCD'd. Embrace it. Cherish it.

© 2012 Rohan Tandon


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

True true true! Obsession has made me creative & now I'm over it feeling lost. Hats off!

Posted 10 Years Ago


I agree and that too wholeheartedly...obsessions and me...we are best friends...like when I want and when I desire, its like I GOT TO HAVE IT...and when I get-"aww its boring!!"....indeed it has happened so many times...and couldn't help smiling to see that there are others like me who also get embarrassed once that crazy phase passes over :) I related to this...wonderful write!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

230 Views
2 Reviews
Added on January 11, 2012
Last Updated on January 11, 2012