Explosion

Explosion

A Story by Rose Fire
"

When dystopian societies are at war with each other what lengths will one woman go to to save everyone she loves?

"

“Where are we going?” I ask Jake as I jog along the dirt road to catch up with him.


“To a survivor camp Evans told me about, it's small but who knows, we may be in luck today” He looked back at me, his blue eyes shining as he smiled.


“I hope so,” I mumble, looking up to the sky where the sun shone through the clouds. I am thankful I don’t need my heavy coat today. Jake and I walk through the abandoned city, buildings raising up all around us. My mind wanders back to when this particular street used to be full of people, shops, and children playing everywhere. It was just a ghost town now. 


“I think it’s just around this corner, where the old hospital was.” Jake mentions. My heart started to pound in my chest now, I hated getting my hopes up, but sometimes it is hard to help it. The street sign above directs us around the corner. Jake grips my hand tightly. We turn the corner and gaze upon the old building. Paint is peeling off the walls and the roof looks scarily close to caving in. Even so there are signs of people living there, clothes drying off railings, children’s toys strew around out front, and a woman sits on the porch, her brown hair tied away from her face, her eyes narrowed in concentration as her fingers work a needle and thread.


“MUM!” I scream delightedly. The woman looks up in surprise, her eyes widen as she takes me in, a smile slowly lighting up her face.


My feet barely hit the ground as I run to her. My heart was flying, lighter than it had been in months. My eyes dart around, searching for my little sister, but I don’t see her anywhere.


Almost there, I think, my fingers outstretched, reaching towards my calm, strong mother. She had always been there, caring for me when I got sick, tucking me in at night, and helping me through the devastation of my father being taken away.


My ears flood with the sound of a high pitched whistling in the distance, I try to ignore the noise, it doesn’t matter to me now, not when I am so close.

I am about to dive into my mothers outstretched arms, desperate to hear her say that everything will be ok, that everyone is safe, when I see her expression change. 

Suddenly her face is a mask of pure terror. 


“STOP!” She shrieks pointing at something behind me. I hesitate slightly, but keep running, nothing could stop me now. 


Somewhere behind me I hear Jake calling my name, but I don’t have enough time to turn because suddenly I’m flying. I’m thrown back from the building with an immense force. All around me the world is on fire, heat blasts into me, burning my skin. I hit the ground painfully, crying out as dirt ingrains into my skin. The coppery taste of blood overwhelms me and all around I hear terrified screams. I turn my head and watch in horror as the hospital collapse before me.

I try to stand, the pain almost overwhelming me. I limp towards what remains of the building. My head is pounding, my ears are ringing, and the smell of burnt flesh is permeating my senses, making my eyes water painfully. 

I reach where my mother was standing, finding only rubble. A quiet moan escapes from under the debris. I drop painfully to my knees, frantically moving the rubble until I uncover her.

I just stare, blood dripping into my eyes. I will her to take a breath. Around me the world has become eerily silent. She finally takes a ragged, painful breath. 


“Mum?” I whisper in fear as she opens her eyes. 


I feel a bloody hand touch my cheek softly. I can barely hear through the ringing in my ears, but she tells me not to bother moving her anymore. Uncomprehending I look in her eyes and am horrified by what I see. 

Resignation. 

I won’t give up that easy, I think. My mother can’t die. I won’t let her. 

I keep moving the rubble, eventually freeing her from the wreckage. I don’t realize how futile my efforts have been. I steel myself and force my eyes down, taking in her many injuries, I straight away wish I hadn’t. 

One of her legs is missing. Blood is flowing rapidly from the stub, a metal shard is embedded deep in her stomach and her skin is covered with deep cuts and bruises. 

Subconsciously I know theres no coming back from this, but I can’t help myself as I rip up my shirt. I carefully cover the end of her leg, trying to stem the flow of blood. I tear a second strip, making a tourniquet above the knee. The puddle of blood seems to be growing larger every second. 


“Kate,” I hear a small voice whisper.


“Shhh” I say quietly, “don’t try to speak.”


I feel her hand on my arm, stilling my efforts.


“Kate, you need to find her, she’s gone,” my mother has suddenly become intense, her hand clutches my arm painfully.


My eyes widen as I stare at her, stunned. 


“Luce,” I whisper, picturing my sisters sweet face. She’s still so young, only 12 years old, In my mind I see her blonde curls bouncing, her blue eyes sparking the way they do when she laughs, so full of life.


“Yes, they took her,” my mother must have heard my whisper.


“Who?” I ask uneasily, not sure I want to know the answer, the possibilities scare me half to death. 


“The state,” she says in a pained voice.


I feel myself tremble, no, not them, I think, anyone but them.


“You have to save her, you are the only one who can,” the intensity her words had before slowly fades.


“How?” I ask desperately, knowing full well there’s nothing I could possibly do if the state has her captive.


“You will find a way, you always do. You are so resourceful, so clever. You must try, try for Luce... try for me, I must know my daughters are safe.”


My eyes over fill with quiet tears, mingling with blood, theres a lump in my throat that just won’t go away. 

Fingers slowly wipe away my tears, like they did when I was little, such a gentle gesture, it threatens to break me down but I manage to collect myself as much as I can. 


“I will,”  I promise my dying mother, “I will save her, and it will all be ok.” I know I am lying, but the fire leaves her eyes and her shoulders relax.


A slight smile plays on her lips, “I know you will, my daughter. I love you and I am so proud of you. I know you will survive,” Her eyes close as her last breath shudders out of her broken body. Her limp hand falls from my cheek and drops lifelessly to her side.


“I love you too,” I whisper before collapsing at her side, finally letting the pain take a hold of me.


The last thing I remember before losing consciousness is an image of my sister, scared, captive and alone, she needs me now, I think, I have to be the strong one. 

As I black out, I am blissfully aware that the horrible pain coursing through my body and my heart is fading.

© 2013 Rose Fire


Author's Note

Rose Fire
This is a chapter from the centre of the story, so it may be lacking in background detail and character development.
Thanks for reading!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

interesting story
I advise you to write more.

Posted 1 Year Ago


I think this is pretty awesome, it keeps you involved witth story line even with the lack of background and introdution, your instantly pulled into to the action. Your left asking who the state is? and what is their purpose?
i think thats great, always leave the readers asking questions because that will lead them to read more, i look forward to any additions to this



Posted 10 Years Ago


This was very well written, you kept your characters constant and stuck to the subject.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rose Fire

10 Years Ago

Thanks, glad you liked it!
This was really cool. I hope you continue with this story and I can't wait to see how it turns out. I might suggest though to space out your lines a little more, and try to use quotation marks. I got confused a few times when someone was talking then it would switch to action instead of dialogue. Other than that, great story.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rose Fire

10 Years Ago

Thanks! I appreciate the suggestions, I tried to fix it.
The Chosen

10 Years Ago

Oh yeah. That is much better. good job.
Do you like to write in the present? I tried it once but it felt very uncomfortable. Writing in the present is popular right now but I'm sticking to past. Anyway, go for it Kate!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rose Fire

10 Years Ago

I find it a bit uncomfortable as well, I tried to write this in both past and present tense but pres.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

416 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 12, 2013
Last Updated on September 19, 2013
Tags: family romance dystopian war

Author

Rose Fire
Rose Fire

New York, NY



About
Hi, welcome to my profile! I grew up in Australia and recently moved to New York for an adventure. So far so good! My favorite past time is reading. I find good novels to be inspiring and up-lifting.. more..

Writing
Shattered Shattered

A Story by Rose Fire


Run away Run away

A Story by Rose Fire