A Fraction in Time

A Fraction in Time

A Story by Erotic Minds
"

The story of a person falling in love with a girl during a philosophy class in college

"

I struggled to keep my attention on the subject at hand which, at the time, was a boring philosophy lesson, presented to us by, who some considered, the best professor in the philosophy department of the university. He was a short round man, with a funny forehead and puffy cheeks, short hair, glasses, and a big red nose. The way he taught was gentle. Perhaps too gentle. So gentle, one could fall asleep listening to him talk about modality, or spirits, or God, or Berkeley, or Spinoza, I don’t remember.

do remember that my eyes would drift from him, in the middle of the room, to the window, to the door, back to the window, and back to him again, and in the mean time I had digested nothing of what he had said, except the occasional joke, which without knowing its content, still made me laugh because of the way he told it. There was such grace about his voice, I liked imagining that in another life I could’ve been a monk, and he would’ve been, without a doubt, my first pick for a master. The one who could show me the way of the Dao.

In any case, and for no particular reason at all, it was during that boring class that my life would change forever, without me knowing, without warning, just because. It was exactly 2:30pm, and I know because I checked my watch, unconsciously wanting the class to near its end faster, when suddenly there was a light knock on the door. Before the professor could answer, or give his permission to enter, the door opened slightly, and slowly, a woman popped her head into the room. She had black hair, a curvy nose, big brown eyes, and a beautiful smile that immediately drew all of my attention to it, awakening me from the slumber of my daydreams.

“Hi” She said to the professor. “Modern Philosophy?” She asked him.

He nodded.

As she entered, I continued to look at her. She was dressed very simply, but with colorful style. A navy-blue rain jacket, tall orange rain boots, a red cashmere scarf full of intricate designs, and she had put on red lipstick; dark, almost crimson, freshly applied. Her hand collected a loose lock of hair and pushed it back behind her ear, where it had previously escaped from.

She did not look at me. She walked quietly, the whole class looking at her, the professor waiting for her to sit down. In those seconds, that were entirely hers, I did not take my eyes off her for a single moment. When she finally did, the professor asked,

“Your name?”

“Alice.”

Alice, I repeated to myself. What a beautiful name. Obviously, I didn’t know what it meant, but the sound of it, along with her scent, which somehow reached me from across the room, sounded as if someone had sung it to me, with such nostalgic glamour, that it had stuck itself forever in my mind.

Alice, I repeated to myself, staring at the back of her head, like an idiot. When I realized I had paid too much attention to the woman, who I had been staring at for a couple of minutes, and most of which which were minutes of staring at the back of her body as she reclined on the chair, I decided that I should focus instead on the subject at hand; the class on Berkeley, or Spinoza. But again, I found myself drifting in thought and returning my gaze to the mysterious woman, who I knew for sure was not a mystery, and who for sure, had a normal life just like everyone else. Mysteriously, instead, because for a certain amount of time, for a fraction of quantifiable seconds within a lifetime, my lifetime that is, she had frozen the entire universe around me, and all my mental awareness, all the capacity of my consciousness, as if it were the moment one realized that they were dreaming inside a dream, like a sudden and abrupt realization, she was capable of transforming my reality into a breathless form and undertaking, that had taken me quite literally out of my soul, and into a land I had not known before, a territory that was entirely unfamiliar to me. I had fallen utterly in love with her. Right then and there.

© 2017 Erotic Minds


Author's Note

Erotic Minds
This might be based on a true story

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Boring Philosophy lesson?! What?! I loved Modern Philosophy ... sorry got distracted!
I think you've captured that moment when you see someone and your entire world stands still perfectly! Good descriptions ... but seriously ... boring philosophy?!?! :P

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
1 Review
Added on November 25, 2017
Last Updated on November 25, 2017
Tags: Love, fallinginlove, girl, guy, class, philosophy, loveatfirstsight

Author

Erotic Minds
Erotic Minds

New York , NY



About
Ferociously Filthy more..

Writing