Jean the proud girl and her three kind friends

Jean the proud girl and her three kind friends

A Story by Ruthy
"

It's a short moral story that teaches on the value of life's virtues.

"

Once upon a time, in a small village, there lived a girl called Jean. She was very proud since she was the most beautiful girl in the village and many girls admired her. One day, Jean went down the stream to fetch water where she found three best friends namely Sofia, Jane and Mary doing laundry. As Jean looked around, Mary said,’’ What a beautiful maiden. I wish I was that lovely.’’ However, Jane said to her, ’’Dear friend, do not be sad, you still look good.’’

Jean had been listening and so she turned her head and remarked,’’ It seems that I am the most beautiful girl in this village.’’

‘’Why do you say that? In this village, there are very many beautiful girls. You are just one of them,’’ Said Sofia.

Jean replied, ‘’I see everyone looking at me and admiring me.’’ Then she arrogantly looked at the three girls and said, ‘’Look at you all, you are so ugly that you are envious of me!’’

Jane looked at her and said, ‘’Jean, what kind of talk is this? Who can say what beauty is? Just because you are beautiful does not mean you are perfect.’’

Jean angrily looked at Jane and said, ‘’you do not know what beauty is and you can never be like me!’’ She then placed the pot of water on her head and proudly walked away.

‘’What a proud and stupid girl’ ’thought Jane as she continued with her washing.

As days passed, Jean continued mocking the three friends every time they met down the stream. She also despised them because they loved farming a chore she really despised. However, the girls maintained their humility and went on with their lives.

One time, the weather became very hot and life became very difficult as the villagers had no food and the rains had failed. Animals began to die of hunger. Fortunately Sofia, Jane and Mary’s efforts with their kitchen garden had paid off. Since their stores were fully stocked with food they decided to share their farm produce with their fellow villagers. They sent the village messenger to spread the good news. The villagers they came in large numbers. Jean saw the large group of people gathered at the three friends’ homestead. This puzzled her and she asked one of her neighbors what people were doing there. She was told that the villagers had been offered food by the kind hearted girls.

Jean opened her eyes in wonder and asked, ’’Those girls have food?’’

‘’Yes, you can also go collect your share am sure they will be more than willing to help you.’’ replied the neighbor.

Jean however felt too ashamed of her past behavior to ask the three friends for food, but she finally gathered the courage to ask for help. The girls kindly agreed to offer her with food without reminding her of her ill behavior. Jean finally learnt her lesson and from that day on, she never despised people because of their appearance.

Moral lesson: Do not judge anyone by their appearance

 

© 2014 Ruthy


Author's Note

Ruthy
What's your take on the story?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
Added on July 26, 2014
Last Updated on July 26, 2014
Tags: Proud, Kind, Friends

Author

Ruthy
Ruthy

Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya



About
I love me. more..

Writing