Break In

Break In

A Story by Ryan

  The storm that was raging outside was making it nearly impossible to sleep. I tried to listen to the steady sound of the rain hoping it would lull me back into the familiar darkness of slumber when a loud crack of thunder sounded and woke me up again. Finally giving up on any means of sleep for now I decided to stay awake until the storm settled some more. I got out of bed and went to turn on my light when I faintly heard “scratch, scratch, click” and stopped in place. That was not a sound a thunderstorm is normally supposed to make and there were no tree branches close enough to my window to cause the sound either. At first I put the sound out of my mind but then I heard it again. A piercing wave of fear went through me as I realized that the sound was coming from someone messing with the back door on the first floor that was right below my window. I immediately went for my phone by my bed but to my horror I realized I hadn’t plugged it in before going to bed earlier that night and the battery was dead. I almost started to panic but remembered that there was the house phone in the kitchen downstairs. If the intruder wasn’t very adept it would take some time to pick the lock, maybe it would take them long enough for me to get downstairs and get to the phone before they successfully entered. On that thought I grabbed my pocket knife on my night stand just in case and with my hands starting to tremble made my way downstairs. I went as quickly and quietly as I could, praying that the intruder wouldn’t hear me.

  Unfortunately I wasn’t fast enough and just as I reached the bottom of the stairs the back door that was to my left opened. Lightning flashed, from the intruders silhouette I caught a glimpse of his somewhat short stout body seemingly cloaked in darkness and eyes dancing with an evil delight like a predator getting ready to hunt its prey. “Well I thought this was going to be boring and easy but it seems like I will get to have fun tonight after all.” With a quick fluid motion the intruder unsheathed a lethal looking dagger. There was another burst of lightning momentarily highlighting the sharp cold edge. I was frozen in place my heart pounding so hard I thought it would burst, my hands were shaking violently nearly causing me to drop my knife. Before I could barely think my attacker lunged, thankfully he was about ten feet away from me but that distance was closing fast. The only thing I could think about was running and not getting stabbed. He went for my heart I dodged to the right but before I remembered about my own knife and trying to counter attack his fist connected to my right kidney, shortly afterwards his foot squarely hit me in my chest sending me flying backwards knocking my knife free from my grasp as I fell. “Come now even without having any fighting experience you should still be better than this.” He cackled. “Hmm maybe I will just end this quickly then, I’m already getting bored.” As I saw him slowly walking toward me the icy grip of fear took its hold paralyzing me in place. “Is this really the end am I really such a coward?” I thought. I saw a slight movement from the horrible monster lingering in front of me I didn’t realize what happened until I heard the thunk and felt the searing pain in my side. I let out a scream, it was like nothing I had ever felt before. I reached down to my side and there was a throwing knife protruding from me and blood, warm blood, my blood quickly staining my shirt. “Ahhhh yes! That was a lovely scream is this the first time you’ve been hurt so badly? Hehehe well even though this was short I really have enjoyed this.”

  “No this can’t be it I won’t let my life pathetically end like this!” At that moment something awoke within me and a cool deadly calm filled me. The calm seemed strangely familiar. At this moment my attacker was right in front of me getting ready to deal the final blow. His arm came in a downward stab My left arm shot up blocking his and I surged to my feet letting out another scream as I pulled the knife in my side out and rammed my enemies weapon into his own side. He staggered back “You little prick where did that come from!? Hehe well I guess there is some fight in you after all.” He charged at me again leading with a diagonal slash I quickly switched the throwing knife to my left hand deflected his arm and stepped outside of his reach. There was the side of his neck exposed without hesitation or thinking I went for the kill.

  There was resistance then the feeling of the knife sliding into flesh and the sound of gurgling. I heard my enemies dagger clatter to the ground and the guy stepped back staring at me with a look of pure shock, as a shadow of horror crossed his face he fell to the ground dead. I just stood there watching, strangely feeling nothing I thought, “I should’ve been surprised” but there was just emptiness. Then I felt the pain roar through my side again as reality came crashing down and I dropped to my knees. I put my hand on my side feeling my warm blood oozing from the wound I was violently shaking all over. “Holy crap! I just killed somebody a person, an actual living person dead by my hands.” But then my vision blurred and I couldn’t think of that now I was hurt and I needed to contact the police right away. I staggered over to the house phone and it took me a couple of tries to finally dial the correct number.

“911 what is your emergency?”

“There was a break in 1792… Carson Road apartment.. 403.”

“Okay we will send the police right away. Do you need an ambulance?”

“Yes! I have been stabbed in my side and… Oh god someone is dead.. I killed them. It was so horrible. I don’t know if I can hold on.” My vision blurred then darkened feeling horribly weak I didn’t hear the rest of the phone conversation as the endless blackness swallowed me whole and I passed out.

© 2016 Ryan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on June 8, 2016
Last Updated on June 8, 2016

Author

Ryan
Ryan

Writing
Journey Journey

A Story by Ryan


Diary  Mad Man Diary Mad Man

A Story by Ryan


Mountain Mountain

A Poem by Ryan