Chapter 1: Before

Chapter 1: Before

A Chapter by Eryn ♪

I never believed in heroes.

They were the things of fiction, men in tights, men of steel.
Like the knights that litter the world of fairy tails, they couldn't exist.
There were no damsels to save, no dragons to fight, no reason for their valiant deeds.
That's what I thought at the time. All that changed when the meteor hit.



"Good morning folks, traffic on the QEW moving north bound is looking a little backed up this morning due to a brief flood along..."

I knock my hand lazily into my alarm clock, searching for the button that world bring sleep back, hoping to return to that bizarre land of adventure, not wishing to return to the light. Finally I find it, returning my dimly lit room to silence, but it no longer matters.
I stretch out across my bed stifling the yawn that wishes to make it's escape. Quietly I get up and prepare for school, slipping on my dragon T-shirt and a pare of worn blue jeans. As I leave I turn to lock the door, but I decide there isn't any point. No one will bother breaking in.
"Hey Short-stack, hurry up." Joshua's voice calls out. "We're gonna be late."
Joshua is my best friend, I always hang out with him. The problem is he is really tall, so people don't notice my brown hair or my blue eyes when they see me, nope; I'm just the short stack. I race after him eager to get on our way, after all, before we go to school we're going to meet the Dragons.

The Dragons were an underground group that was rumored to still mess around with the town, the government called them vandals; we called them artists. They waited until the night fell to paint the town a million different colours. The minders were always getting tips on their whereabouts; the adults all thought of their masterpieces as felonies; but the Dragons always disappeared before the minders got there. Recently my best friend Joshua found one of them out and was told to meet them today. They also told him to bring anyone looking for a bit of fun to tag along, a lucky break for me.


"Hey, did you hear the news?" asked Joshua.
"I hate the news; you know that. Nothing new ever happens."

The world was at peace; the fighting in Afghanistan had cleared a year ago. After that, the rest of the world was too scared to fight back. The soldiers were all declared heroes; the last of their kind. They quickly faded from memory. After all you can't have a hero if the world is peaceful.
"True, but still." Joshua was always like that, even when we were kids. He would always ask the dumbest questions, then follow up with his actual question.


"The weather has taken a nasty turn these past few days don't you think?" He says.

"Yeah, the floods and typhoons popping up everywhere, and that freak forest fire at high park."

"Mmmhmm, only one of the turrets was left standing. It's like the end of the world." His voice is quiet when he says this and it leaves a gap between us. I look up at the clear blue sky almost expecting it to fall on us, that's how bad the weather was these days.


"What kind of tattoo do you think I should get?" Joshua asks, his tone much more cheery.
"What? You know those aren't allowed anymore." I say taken aback.
"Exactly." He said, a wicked grin spreading across his face.
"How about a dragon." A voice overhead replies.



© 2016 Eryn ♪


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I found myself smiling as I read my way through this chapter. I greatly enjoy (post)apocalyptic novels. I'm curious to see what the Dragons stand for in their group representation and also what symbolism they carry through out the novel. Few grammatical errors, but those are easy fixes.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Eryn ♪

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much, I hope you enjoy the rest of the novel.
"After all, you can't have a hero if the world is peaceful."

Very mature and philosophical. I was surprised to read that.

All in all, I'm a sucker for good character development. For such a short chapter, you fleshed these two out very well.

Some grammatical errors, but nothing major to note.

Well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Eryn ♪

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much, I hope the re-make of this chapter lives up to what you found here.
Beautiful use of language here! I love all the words you use instead of saying like the normal, same old/same old stuff that everyone uses. It's vivid and wonderful and a superb edit for the chapter. Great job, love ♥

Posted 9 Years Ago


Is this the whole chapter or just a fragment?

Posted 10 Years Ago


Eryn ♪

10 Years Ago

I call it a chapter, but that is only because I am no good at writing long pieces. So if it makes yo.. read more
A. H. Pinley

10 Years Ago

Well, we all need to start somewhere...
Eryn ♪

10 Years Ago

Agreed. The later chapters get a bit longer, but not much. Im a poet not an author
Lol I'm hooked already. I'll keep reading it as long as you keep it coming.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Eryn ♪

10 Years Ago

It shall keep coming. Though it might be a week between chapters. I have limited computer time.
Silent Wolf

10 Years Ago

Lol okay. Fine by me. :)
Short and simple but leaves me wanting more, I like it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is great! I really like how it paints a picture of the characters' relationship and personalities. The ending definitely sets suspense for the next chapter. Can't wait to read some more!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

934 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 13, 2012
Last Updated on July 20, 2016


Author

Eryn ♪
Eryn ♪

Ontario, Canada



About
I am 21 with red hair and aqua eyes. I face life one picture, one word at a time. Some call me odd, I prefer eccentric. I have fought my demons and I have won. I am known to have ADD. I move forw.. more..

Writing
Battle Royal Battle Royal

A Story by Eryn ♪


Waking Waking

A Chapter by Eryn ♪



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..