Chapter END - Passing Judgment of the Gates

Chapter END - Passing Judgment of the Gates

A Chapter by Ryonar Melephis
"

Here ends the noble saga, with another beginning beaming like the dawn on the horizon. Now, I duly apologize for the beginning foolishness, I needed some time to get warmed up.

"

Chapter END �" Passing Judgment of the Gates

I have no idea how tomorrow rolled along, but somehow it did. Still somewhat drunk on the emotion, I got up from the bed and went to the open window to get a breath of the fresh morning breeze.

It was a clear day and the light, warm breeze brushed across my face.

I inhaled deeply and let out a sigh.

And out of the blue, I felt something light lean on my back, a soft voice whispering in my ear.

“Good morning. Did you sleep well?”

A light kiss on my cheek followed her words in their wake.

“Hey, good morning to you too.”

I turned with a mischievous smile to face her. The wonderful, blissful smile graced her lips as a loving glint in her brown eyes shined like a sky filled with stars. Leaning in, I was just in front of her lips when I whispered

“How could I now, when I have you.”

Giving her a nice little kiss for good morning, she giggled and returned fire without much delay.

“Oh so that’s how it is?”

I replied jokingly and went in to return in kind, but she backed away with a mischievous smile of her own.

“Nuh-uh, not yet. We need to go into town so I can sell the Rain Lotus bulbs. After that…”

She placed her finger on her lips with a giggle.

My smile widened.

This was really going to be an amazing day.

*                                      *                                      *

Taking the containers with the bulbs, we head out towards the town.

Since last morning’s rain dried up, the unpaved road was back to its normal form, though still slightly soft. The grass had dew upon its blades that now twinkled like gems lost in a green sea. A gust of wind blew across the field, creating waves of the bending grass and driving its fresh smell into our nostrils. Among the sea of grass, several small flowerbeds can be found, mostly filled with lavenders or heartseases.

We had to stop a couple of times so she could refill her stock of these, but quickly enough we reached the tall wooden walls of the small settlement called a town.

The gates stood open, waiting for any weary travelers that would wander here.

Taking my hand she spoke with a smile

“Don’t get lost.”

“I’m in your care.”

I said, holding her hand tighter.

She led the way through the numerous wooden buildings similar to hers, though the signs made them different from one another.

After a while we reached a big, spacious area where numerous stalls were selling different merchandise: fruits, vegetables, honey, utensils and even several tinted glass and crystal shards formed into different objects.

There was a large building in the center of this open area, so as we were going to it we passed by a stall that had a blue crystal rose. It immediately caught my attention and I started devising a plan on how to get it.

We got to the building and she told me

“Ok, I’ll take care of things here. Go and check out some stalls, maybe you’ll find something interesting.”

“Alright, good luck in there.”

“Thanks, I’ll probably need it.”

Turns out that building was a merchant guild’s auction house. I guess those bulbs must be rather expensive.

But anyway, I had an idea on how to obtain the blue crystal rose.

I approached the stall where the blue rose stood proudly on a small pedestal that suspended it in the air.

“So it’s the Blue Rose that caught your eye?”

The merchant spoke in a rather annoying and arrogant tone.

“You sir, are not the first to fall prey to its beauty, but because this is a unique design that is made of the purest crystal, it would be rather expensive. Can you afford it? Or maybe compensate for it?”

I really had to hold myself back from punching him in the face.

“I don’t have any money on me right now, but I can offer something of an even price.”

Reaching into my pocket, I took out a thin silver chain that had a silver locket hung from it. On the locket’s surface was a light blue disc that glowed.

“This is a Moon Locket, it’s a precious artifact which acts as a guide in the dark nights, and because it was made of silver it wards of evil as well.”

I laid the necklace on the stall in front of him. He took some time to mull it all over, but in the end he took the offer.

Satisfied, I went on back to the auction house.

A chill went down my spine, it felt like someone…or something was watching me. I turned to see what it was, but there was no one there.

No one there? Wasn’t this place full of noisy shoppers and annoying merchants?

This place was completely empty and silent.

I had to get to the auction house; there was a really dangerous atmosphere here.

“AAAAAAAH! HELP!!!”

A shriek came from on ahead and it could have only come from one person.

Without wasting a second, I ran towards the auction house. But even as I ran, I could see in the corner of my eyes as more of those shadows moved and formed.

I blasted through the door and saw a black creature with white eyes trying to reach Alice, who was defending herself with a chair in one hand and a Lotus bulb in the other.

My eyes darted across the room filled with various items in glass cases. Among them was a vial of illuminating liquid.

Finally, a familiar item.

Grabbing it, I screamed at the top of my lungs.

“GET THE HELL AWAY FROM HER!”

The beast turned towards me and I broke the bottle on the floor. The contents in the bottle broke out, resulting in a bright flash.

Caught by surprise, the creature didn’t even have a chance to react before it vanished.

I ran over to Alice now leaned on the wall, panting.

“Are you alright? Did it hurt you?”

“No, no I’m fine, just a bit shaken up. What was that thing?”

“I think I know what those are but we need to get out of here fast, the whole town will be swarming with them in mere seconds.”

“Alright.”

We ran out as the shadows started to move again.

*                                      *                                      *

Taking to the streets we ran for the gate through alleyways with Alice leading the way.

We focused on avoiding well-lit areas and main streets as to attempt to avoid any contact with those creatures.

I had to keep her in ignorance because I suspected what was about to happen.

Damn, I feel horrible for even asking in the first place.

As we made our way out of the alley, we saw black smoke rise from the buildings. By the time we reached the source the houses were being burned to cinders by these shadow creatures.

The clear sky turned black due to the rising smoke and now it threw a very ominous shadow over the entire town.

Darkness and fire, it was like a picture of hell coming to earth.

The black demons turned towards us and gave chase with numerous distorted roars.

Working on pure instinct, I grabbed Alice and ran. It didn’t even matter where to, just that we escape this madness.

I had to protect her. It was my fault that all of this happened, so even if we can’t make it, I’ll make sure to give her a chance to escape.

Running through the street I was starting to lose my breath, and Alice wasn’t in any better shape either.

I saw another alleyway and immediately took a turn into it.

 

It was a dead end.

 

“No.” I muttered in defeat. We had no chance of escape now.

“Alice.” I spoke clearly with grim resolution

“It’s really been fun here with you. I honestly couldn’t imagine myself anywhere else but beside you.”

“Raisen…please don’t talk like that.”

She hugged me from behind.

“Please don’t talk like this is the end! I CAN’T LOSE YOU!”

I turned to face her. She had tears welling up in her eyes. Cupping her chin, I lifted her face to mine and gave her a long kiss.

She calmed down after a bit and I broke contact.

“Hey, this isn’t the end. Hell, it’s so far from it. This right here is a new beginning, for the both of us. And if you’re afraid of losing me don’t worry, I’m not gonna die. Not from them.”

I heard grunts and roars closing in fast. Turning towards the entrance I took a battle stance.

“I promise I’d protect you didn’t I? So when I tell you, run like all of damnation is after you.”

“But…”

“There’s not time, they’re already here.”

Several of those beasts are turning the corner and by now heading straight for us.

With a battle cry, I rush into certain death.

If I managed to protect her…it’s a good way to die…

Closing my eyes for what would be the last time, I anticipated my end.

 


But it never came.

I opened my eyes only to see myself back in Equilibrium, Black and White were standing in front of their adjacent gates, one dark and the other white. They were both open now and from within each one I could see a bright light and deep darkness.

“So you’re ready to make your choice.”

Black spoke in his usual ominous and almost hateful tone. If I weren’t what I am right now, I’d be terrified. But instead, I looked him in the eye and said in a calm tone.

“Yes, I’m ready.”

With a grin he jabbed his sword into the void under a sharp angle.

I looked at White and she had her usual kind smile on her face.

“My, you’ve really grown more mature.”

I gave her the same look as I gave Black.

“Yeah, I’ve come to understand.”

She nodded and made her white sword appear crossed with the black one.

“Now, make your choice.” They said in unison

Seeing the two blades before me in all their beauty and power I realized something…

I grabbed both blades for their hilts and a roar pulsed through the void. The resonating power in the blades was hard to control; it took my whole force of will just to maintain my grip.

With all my might, I shoved the blades towards each other, forcing them to fuse into a single weapon. Now in place of the two is a powerful dark blue long sword with an inscription on its blade

Will and Resolve

I took the blade from the void and pointed it at them.

“You are both dangerous extremes that need to be equalized.”

“Do you really want to go against the forces of Light and Dark, knowing you stand no chance even with that blade?”

“You have no idea what I’m capable of at the moment.”

“Raisen…?”

From behind me I heard a voice I know all too well.

“Alice?!”

I turned and there she was, standing in the void perfectly unharmed.

“LOOK OUT!”

She screamed as I saw Black leaping at me with his sword.

“I got you now.”

He stabbed and a spray of crimson burst out.

 

But it wasn’t mine.

 

Alice took the blow for me. It pierced right through her chest.

“NOOOOOOOOO!!!”

I screamed and slashed with all my might at him. The blue blade resonated with my fury as hell’s flames burst forth, destroying his sword and cutting through his right arm to the shoulder.

Black screamed in agony as he leaped back to his gate,

“ENOUGH GAMES!”

And from his gate a giant, monstrous snake emerged. It was the color of red, black and venomous green fused into one chaotic flurry.

It rushed at us with incredible speed, its nightmarish jaws agape, as if it would swallow the world.

A white barrier protected us from being devoured, but not from the impact. The shield shattered and all the force it used blasted us.

We were shot out into the void.

As we flew, I could feel myself break apart, the pieces which made my soul were being torn from me.

Alice stood no chance. Her bloody body was split into two spheres of light which vanished from me in the matter of seconds.

“Alice…”

All I could do now was hold onto the two items I held dear: the sword, and the Blue Rose.

I held them both tight as I went faster and faster , the shards of my soul tearing more and more.

 

This isn’t the end; it’s just a new beginning.



© 2015 Ryonar Melephis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

292 Views
Added on February 5, 2015
Last Updated on February 5, 2015


Author

Ryonar Melephis
Ryonar Melephis

Nis, Serbia



About
I am an all-round writer who doesn't shy away from a challenge. I am prone to writing fantasy, sci-fi, horror, romance, comedy, action, you name it. Also, I am something the people from 4chan would ca.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Ryonar Melephis


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Ryonar Melephis


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Ryonar Melephis