Under the Old Oak Tree

Under the Old Oak Tree

A Story by SetApartGirl
"

Nothin' in particular, just a scribbling

"

     A cool fall breeze blew back the chocolate colored hair of a teenage girl. He sky blue dress hung loosely around her fragile frame and blew this way and that. She fingered her diamond necklace around her neck, lost deep in thought. The sun was just beginning to climb over the mountain peaks and she stared at them from her place under the old oak tree. She looked up at its golden leaves and smiled. Everything here was so calm, so peaceful like nothing in the world could ever go wrong. But in the real world, everything was wrong. Her mind was a whirlwind of emotions and she was unable to rein them in. They were stubborn and then taunted her, coming close enough for her to grab them, but then darting away when she tried to grab them. She shifted her bare feet and felt the newly cut grass beneath her feet. She smiled. The old man who owned this land took very good care of it. But, oh, whatever was she to do? Why was life so...complicated? She looked around at the trees and mountains surrounding her, saw their tranquility and their grace. She saw the mountains painted with oranges, browns, yellows, reds and flicks of green. She saw the ground slope down and then back up before her for miles and miles, an endless array of hills joining in the dance with the mountains. The trees swayed back and forth, eager to join in the dance with their graceful limbs stretching for the sky.

     She closed his eyes and saw them both again. Austin came first into her life. His hair was the color of dried wheat and his brown eyes sparkled with a brillance that she loved, so, so, so much. He stood a good three to four inches taller than her which gave her a feeling of safety and security when she was near him. His laugh was like the cool spray of a waterfall on her face and his smile was like a quiet, cool, sunny day.  His body was lean and muscular from many years of football practice. But then there was Russ. His honey-colored hair was usually hidden under one of his numerous baseball caps and he usually wore something that was camouflage but recently he wearing other things. Only recently had she him again as she out walking her dog and his got away from him and she had returned it to him with a smile and a nod. Now she was torn between the two and didn't know what to do. She had feelings for both, but which was to be her love forever? She heard footsteps creep up behind her as the sun, with on final shove of its mightly arms, pushed itself up into the sky, and then she heard a whisper sweeter than molasses in her ear that said, "I love you, beautiful little Sara. I love you more than you could ever know. You are my morning and my night and I could not live without you." With a bright smile on her face she turned and looked into the eyes that had spoken the words and her smile only widened even more.

© 2008 SetApartGirl


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoyed the nature scene. good visuals and life. Second paragraph a little awkward for me. Could have done w/ out the love quarrel. But very good.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 27, 2008

Author

SetApartGirl
SetApartGirl

About
I have been writing since I could put sentences together and they actually made sense. Since then I have completed five books with two of them winning the same competition two years running. I have al.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by SetApartGirl


I: Orders I: Orders

A Chapter by SetApartGirl