Slumped

Slumped

A Story by Shannon
"

100 word story - take one

"
Hot Canadian summer day. Sun is shining. Driving back to our new home, slumped in the passenger's seat of the car. Jaw throbbing from infection, iv firmly stuck into arm, under strict instructions to return to the emergency room if getting confused or disoriented. At a four way stop, look over to see a child riding a bicycle and a man walking a giant beige turtle. Panic! Precious brain turning to mush. Slurring from pain, ask husband "does that man have a giant turtle?"
Husband looks past me for a long moment then answers "more like a tortoise, I think".

© 2016 Shannon


Author's Note

Shannon
If you have been reading my stories, you know how much I love to use so many great words. Tried to pare it back. I can't tell if it is amusing or just a series of of nonsensical sentence fragments.
Any constructive feedback most certainly welcomed.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

"Slumped"
Shannon,
I see this is a short, short story; 100 words. I suppose a story needs a beginning, middle and end. For someone whom is 'slumped' in their seat on the way home and kind of out of it the title surly works. I have not done any thing like this before- that is write a story which is held tight like this. I see you used a phrase stream of consciousness to weave this one. I really like it.. kind of fun and the turtle idea really worked. You had fun with this one and so did I!
blessings,
Kathy

Posted 5 Years Ago


Its rather fascinating and beguiling. Awesome flash fiction

Posted 6 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Hi
I am not a grammar expert; probably stuff you could reword, but it reads fine in getting the point across and is entertaining. Thanks.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Ha! I love it! Your sense of humor tickles me innards.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you. Sometimes, one just has to see a story and commit it to paper.
What a great little story. Love it. I had a similar experience coming home from my wisdom teeth surgery. Mine was a river porpoise. LOL
PS, I think you missed the I in "if I get confused ..."

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Ah, ok, then perhaps for grammar's sake it could be getting or becoming
Shannon

7 Years Ago

Excellent suggestion! Thanks.
Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

You are very welcome.
Haha, I really love the ending!


Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the read and review!
I like it! Short sweet and to the point, not to mention funny. Loved the ending! Nice work!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to read and review.
Not bad for a short story. I'm impressed with your talent.


Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you for stopping by to read and review. Appreciate it!
EdgarAllanPoet

7 Years Ago

I'm happy to do so any time!
I love the end, it mademe laugh so much. I was wondering where it was going to go, and I can't say I expected a response like that from the husband. The short sentences worked, it made it quick and each word served a purpose without being flowery. Very enjoyable short piece.

Posted 7 Years Ago


My favorite two lines;

"and a man walking a giant beige turtle." and

"Husband looks past me for a long moment then answers "more like a tortoise, I think".

The visual this brings is very humorous and I enjoyed this story. I wish I had something to contribute constructively, but I must know... did the turtle/potential tortoise have a leash?

A very enjoyable 100 word read. I liked this quite a bit, mostly for the visuals it had triggered.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thanks for reading. Glad you saw the humor. Yes, it had sort of a rope around it, I think.
Lost, n'MT

7 Years Ago

Lol, that's fantastic! And you're welcome.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1062 Views
27 Reviews
Added on May 18, 2016
Last Updated on September 10, 2016

Author

Shannon
Shannon

Canada



About
I like to explore the world through the human experience, at once both varied and singular. Reading, writing and meeting people makes one's world larger. I enjoy connecting with people, learning.. more..

Writing
The Lamp The Lamp

A Story by Shannon


Inevitable Inevitable

A Poem by Shannon