Being woman!

Being woman!

A Poem by Samhitha Mopati
"

These lines struck me when I heard a man quoting, "No respectable woman gets raped!" on TV.

"
She might not have flawless skin
Yet the purest of all hearts lies within 
Not the beauty to be stared at & admired
Fragile and humane is she; with emotions evoked 

She is a daring mother and a doting wife
Her life surrendered to her dear ones' strife
She sacrifices her happiness for their sake
For their smiles, she puts hers at stake

The world teases her as she walks by
It calls her names like 'timid' and 'shy'
In some minds, thoughts of demeaning her brood
Her sacred body those fiends want to intrude

Nobody understands the angst she undergoes
Nor the reason behind the tear that overflows
As she conceals all pain and fear in her abdomen
She has every reason to be proud to be a woman

© 2015 Samhitha Mopati


Author's Note

Samhitha Mopati
Those provocative words of that man on BBC awakened me from the bubble I was living in!
"Don't teach me what to wear, teach your son not to rape!"

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I can't believe people give reasons why women get raped and why it's their faults, they should have avoided it. One must have very little compassion for others to say such things.

I loved this poem. Flows smoothly and holds much wisdom and insight. And tells a story of a heartbreaking past in a very dignified manner.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I can't believe people give reasons why women get raped and why it's their faults, they should have avoided it. One must have very little compassion for others to say such things.

I loved this poem. Flows smoothly and holds much wisdom and insight. And tells a story of a heartbreaking past in a very dignified manner.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

strong and powerful. I love this. Your point is so very true, it shouldn't matter what we wear, or look like. Respect doesn't have a size, color, or gender!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Samhitha Mopati

9 Years Ago

Thanks Sereena!
i like that quote...i also like this poem...being a woman is enough reason to show respect, we don't need any other reason...even though there a million.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Samhitha Mopati

9 Years Ago

Thanks! :)
This is incredible, Samhitha. The line "As she conceals all pain and fear in her abdomen" hit me the hardest, I think. Perhaps I interpreted it incorrectly, but I saw that as her rapist impregnated her. That happened to me, so I very much like this piece. It's powerful and thought provoking, and absolutely realistic.

Thank you for sharing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Samhitha Mopati

9 Years Ago

You are welcome, Amaris! Let us just hope for a better world in the future :)
How we look and how we are perceived by others do not always accurately depict who we are. It's obvious that this woman is a force to be reckoned with: one who sacrifices everything to make sure he family is looked after. It's sad that there are many out there who believe that violence towards women is somehow brought about by women themselves because of how they dress or carry themselves. A local paper in a city I once lived in did a piece called "Strip Maul" regarding a street where a strip of bars were located and where women faced sexual harassment, and in some cases assault on a regular basis. The author of the piece suggested this takes place because "what do they expect when they walk down drunken streets scantly clothed." You can imagine there was much outrage over the piece and rightly so. You poem just reminded me of that incident which took place nearly twenty years ago and causes me to ask: how much further have we come? Thanks for sharing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Samhitha Mopati

9 Years Ago

And twenty years later, we have this man making provocative comments on an international platform. I.. read more
....................

9 Years Ago

A sad state if you ask me.
Oops I forgot to ask - did you mean 'caring' instead of 'daring' ?

Posted 9 Years Ago


Samhitha Mopati

9 Years Ago

I meant 'daring' because a mother is boldly partial towards her child! She will revolt even against.. read more
ANTO

9 Years Ago

Yes - totally understand dear writer. :)
Well said Samitha. I didnt see that (BBC item) but Im with you 100%.
This mindset needs to be highllighted and challenged every time.
Great write!!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Samhitha Mopati

9 Years Ago

Thank you for bearing with my frustration. This poem is a venting out of my frustration, though I've.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

620 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 12, 2015
Last Updated on March 12, 2015

Author

Samhitha Mopati
Samhitha Mopati

Hyderabad, Telangana, India



About
A girl with a generous and dwindling soul, attempting to speak my heart out to the world. I'm enamoured by people and their behavior and often dedicate my poems and articles to them. I'm seventeen ye.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Lethal Dosage Lethal Dosage

A Poem by Mayank


Golden Peak Golden Peak

A Poem by Not here


Odyssey Odyssey

A Poem by Emily