To Love Ourselves

To Love Ourselves

A Poem by Sand Witch
"

Life can begin anew

"
Loving ourselves is the hardest thing imaginable.

Humans are like lanterns. Alone, we are beautiful. Together, we create a million stars. Together, and at peace, we flow.
However, nothing is that easy. Flames can flicker and wane. They can grow weaker with time. 
With time, we fade. With time, things that were once shining lights grow dim. With time, we forget what it is to feel. 
Slowly, the affection we shared with others is severed and kept to ourselves. Slowly, as we wrap our own bodies in our own cold embrace, our nails begin to sink deep into our flesh. At the time, this is what we call love.
Flames grow dim, dull, and weak. Hardly more than an amber. There is more smoke than fire. 
It is easy to let things die. To let them go out. To let them sink and drown in the cocktail of ice and fire that we spin together to try to go numb. 

It is okay to be afraid.
Humans are social creatures- we strive for an understanding smile, regardless of the situation.
Sometimes, we want to hurt ourselves. Sometimes we feel that we need to feel that cold pain in order to justify our actions.

The one thing that is most important to remember is this:
People live off of love. 
We can survive off of love, even if there is only one person loving us, but that one person should never be someone else.
The one person who loves us should always be ourselves.

It takes more strength to love ourselves than it takes to hate ourselves.
Hate is easy. It's cold, it grows. Sometimes we, as beings of life, grow to love to hate ourselves. Like a field of weeds, we look over it tenderly, and think that where we are is the right place for us to be.
Some people know that it isn't, but some people just say the words without thinking the thoughts.

Some people feel the burden of pressure to fit into the public eye. To fit into something that has already been developed- to fit into a category, but the truth of the matter is that every category was created by someone who breached a norm and created something new. The path is worn because people decided to follow them.

The beauty if life is that no second is like the last. Life itself is constantly changing, constantly adapting. 
We can change ourselves. We can create the life we want to. We can live life for ourselves- we don't have to live out our own lives the way everyone else wants us to. 
We can create something new. We can create a new sky. We can rekindle our fire from the cold embers and soot from what it used to be; we can hold ourselves warmly. Our marks, our scars, they will fade. We can grow to love ourselves. We can say the words and mean it this time.

We can grow to love ourselves.
Hate, like so many other things, can slowly die and fade away.
Life will always begin anew, from the ashes of something that once was.




© 2018 Sand Witch


Author's Note

Sand Witch
This was more or less just a rambling of thoughts. I wasn't focused on grammar or sentence structure.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
SyN
Right, because my life is in your writing.
Awesome, thank you very much...

Posted 4 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
1 Review
Added on May 21, 2018
Last Updated on May 21, 2018
Tags: Love, self harm, self-harm, hate, self-hate, self hate, hatred, rambling, new beginnings, new start, a new start, new life, life, thoughts, optimism, positive, positivity, depression, anxiety