Prologue part I: Of Love and Loss

Prologue part I: Of Love and Loss

A Chapter by Sanity
"

The opening scene of our story, a man consumed by drink and grief. (part 1/2)

"

Requiem of Redemption

Prologue part I: Of Love and Loss

                He slowly nursed the small crystal glass of whiskey against his lips, enjoying the cool feel of the glass, and the warmth of the drink as it dulled away his pain.       

          Pain…that seemed to be all there was lately. Pain and drink, pain and drink, pain and drink. A rinse and repeat cycle that had clenched his heart in its vice like grip.

Yet who could blame him, after the long life he had lived, everything seemed to be a cycle. Everything had its place and its purpose, from the smallest spark of life, to the largest roaring flame. A small bitter chuckle echoed from his throat as he raised the glass again.

          “Yes…everything, everything but myself.” He thought, “A man never meant to be…The broken cog in the machine that throws the whole thing out of whack”

          He had paid time and time again for the crime of his existence. A child of the light, and of the dark. Two forces inside him always in conflict with each other. Shown only in his calm demeanor by the chaotic energies mirrored behind his twin grey and yellow eyes.  

He set the empty glass down in front of him and sighed slightly. The drink gone, and with it the temporary peace it brought to his aching heart. An ache brought about by the loss of her…one of the only people to ever understand him for what he was…and the only one he ever truly loved.

With a sudden bitter force he slammed his fist down upon the glass. Its shards cutting deeply into his hands. A few silent tears falling from his cheek to mix with a few drops of his silver blood upon the old wooden desk.  He watched with a morbid amusement as the cuts healed over quickly, a few new scars adding to the collection of patchwork jagged lines that crisscrossed his skin.

Rising from his seat he passed his cabin a couple of times, finally stopping in front of an old wooden cabinet. Undoing the latch he opened it and peered inside. As it always did his eyes immediately fell upon a small dagger tucked away in the corner.

A dagger many a times that had bathed in blood, and yet had a sort of ephemeral beauty to its ornate handle and finely crafted blade. Small faint lights almost seemed to dance deep within the heart of the mysterious edge.  

Why….why had she given this to him? Why with her dying breaths had she given him this blade? Why did it mean so much to her? ….why had it been worth dying for?

 He brought the blade up to his lips and gently kissed it. The painful images of her death once again searing their way fourth in his mind. He tried to resist them, not to let himself get pulled back once again to the day that haunts his sleepless nights. Yet before he could stop it, he was lost to the memories once again……






© 2012 Sanity


Author's Note

Sanity
This is my first attempt at writing a story as apposed to my poetry. I hope you guys enjoy it. This is part one of two in the prologue

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
K.G
this is brilliantly thought of and well planned. You can see it perfectly with in ones mind, a man sitting in a dim room drinking his wisky, etc. but personally, i think you should read this alloud to ur self carefully and see how it flows, when writeing, its not like a poem, its like a script that must be smoothe and natural when ur doing a performance. its okay to have a choppy sentence here an there but, this could just be me being tired., over all well done


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A very good prologue. I could see the bad situation being create. I like the location and thoughts in this chapter. I wanted to know more. Thank you for the excellent prologue.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
K.G
this is brilliantly thought of and well planned. You can see it perfectly with in ones mind, a man sitting in a dim room drinking his wisky, etc. but personally, i think you should read this alloud to ur self carefully and see how it flows, when writeing, its not like a poem, its like a script that must be smoothe and natural when ur doing a performance. its okay to have a choppy sentence here an there but, this could just be me being tired., over all well done


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hey this is pretty good, i liked the ending how he finds the dagger and starts thinking of the past. To tell the truth I want to read more lol!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

someone has a bloody history

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

391 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 27, 2012
Last Updated on October 23, 2012
Tags: Requiem, of, Redemption, prologue, love, and, loss, fallen, angel, pirate, captain, dan, gray, sanity


Author

Sanity
Sanity

Petaluma, CA



About
I'm a poet, I mostly write in the free verse or slam poetry genres. Every so often I will write a lyrical poem and if I do so, I will provide a link to me singing it. I have won several competitions f.. more..

Writing
My Angel My Angel

A Poem by Sanity



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Before... Before...

A Poem by Poison Ivy