Flying Variations

Flying Variations

A Poem by Sara
"

done for j.r.'s contest

"

Flying Variations

 


sevenling i


a flash of white, a smear of red, a ballet of black
across the sherbet morning sky:
mockingbird, cardinal, crow aflight,

sailing through the smog of dispersed clouds.
the sun peeks over the horizon, the moon lies late,  
and the worms burrow deep into the polluted earth.

the crack of glass, a neck broken.


sevenling ii

3, 2, 1…
lift off!
breaking the atmosphere in metal and fire

1, 2, 3…
the measured heartbeats of a condor
sailing thermals struck with solar light

great strides in aviation


sevenling iii

angel wings glide through celestial planes,
brush ascending souls,
bestow god's grace with a single white feather.

unearthly beings of ancient name: gabriel, michael, raphael,
heaven's eagles, pure and righteous,
cutting the sky with a sword and scepter.  

a warrior's cry breaks out --


sevenling iv

an untouchable sensation
freedom only a word
the boneless kiss of dry air

heat
ache
heartache

a completion of being

© 2010 Sara


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Sylph-like imagery of nature in differing forms drifts analogously between harsher ("the crack of glass, a neck broken".."breaking the atmosphere in metal and fire"), and more mechanical and brutal evocations of life. This poem is a subtly abstract depiction of all that its title infers. And by seeing and feeling these implied visions, both the contrast and similarities are recognised somehow spiritually. It's hard to pin-down but the impression is there all the same. The last verse, for example, is an enigma in itself: but one which has a conglomerate feeling within it, and "a completion of being" seems to me to evoke all finally of this ambivalent and ambiguous 'sense' of life that the poem as a whole is conveying.
The descriptive and spiritual elements of this writing are I think what makes it a success in terms of poetry; raising it above the usual cryptic abstract form.
There is a certain ethereal intelligence in how this is made, and for me the phrase "a ballet of black" justifies this work's existence on its own.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Simply, "Beautiful".

Posted 13 Years Ago


amazing creativity, and a very interesting structure; as if it resonates with the natural frequency of comprehension..I shall have to look into it further. Thank you for this door to another form to explore.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Dear Sara,

Who are you? This is interesting writing. It has a T.S. Eliot taste in some ways. (One of my favorite poets.)

"across the sherbet morning sky:"

This is nice writing, especially with the three birds supporting the flow. That's nice.

And I must say the the various scenes juxtaposed against each other: birds, rocket flight, angels. All very nice.

"freedom only a word
the boneless kiss of dry air"

Yes this is true if not backed up with passion, if not backed up with willingness to fight for this treasure.

This is a very perceptive write. Amazed this comes from someone so young--you;re are still young, don't be insulted.

Wonderful work. Greatly enjoyed. I want to see more.

Best regards,

Rick

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
. oh gosh ... this is beautifully creative and surreal ... it's like a beautiful poetic chant ... and these lines especially ... are to die for ...


an untouchable sensation
freedom only a word
the boneless kiss of dry air


Posted 13 Years Ago


This is beautiful! The imagery is so beautiful and decadent in some cases. Every line has a significant touch to the rest of the poem. I love the abstract metaphors written throughout the entire poem. Absolute beauty and grace.

Posted 13 Years Ago


For me this would be better without your third 'chapter'. However, you've still kept up your usual metaphors that cut right to the cerebral bone.

My favourite image is most probably 'the sherbet morning sky'.

Thanks for sharing this. You're refreshing original! It is a pleasure to read something that makes me think, rather than twinge inside after seeing cliches strewn needlessly *spits*.

;)

Posted 13 Years Ago


the boneless kiss of dry air
-wow- always cool you! ;)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Sylph-like imagery of nature in differing forms drifts analogously between harsher ("the crack of glass, a neck broken".."breaking the atmosphere in metal and fire"), and more mechanical and brutal evocations of life. This poem is a subtly abstract depiction of all that its title infers. And by seeing and feeling these implied visions, both the contrast and similarities are recognised somehow spiritually. It's hard to pin-down but the impression is there all the same. The last verse, for example, is an enigma in itself: but one which has a conglomerate feeling within it, and "a completion of being" seems to me to evoke all finally of this ambivalent and ambiguous 'sense' of life that the poem as a whole is conveying.
The descriptive and spiritual elements of this writing are I think what makes it a success in terms of poetry; raising it above the usual cryptic abstract form.
There is a certain ethereal intelligence in how this is made, and for me the phrase "a ballet of black" justifies this work's existence on its own.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"angel wings glide through celestial planes,
brush ascending souls,
bestow god's grace with a single white feather."

God-great imagery--wonderful poetry!!!

james:-)


Posted 13 Years Ago


The learned Ed has thrice characterized this marvel correctly. It is, in my uninformed opinion, an odd mix of Stephen Crane and a haiku-like feel.

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

878 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 11, 2010
Last Updated on July 11, 2010

Author

Sara
Sara

Dallas, TX



About
Hi! I'm just a simple college student from Texas who enjoys storytelling in all its forms. I'm quite shy, so I find writing much easier than talking since I don't have to put up with my usual stutteri.. more..

Writing
Fade to Pink Fade to Pink

A Story by Sara


The Last Man The Last Man

A Story by Sara



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Blackbird Blackbird

A Poem by Sara