The Art Of Painting

The Art Of Painting

A Story by Sarah Stephen
"

Inspired by 'The Art Of Painting' by Vermeer.

"

The feathers seemed like a good idea until I put them on. They tangled my hair and scratched at my scalp. My wrist is stiff from holding this brassy instrument uncomfortably; although I was assured it looked elegant I was very doubtful.

I had seen Fredrick paint before, but I have never been in one until now. The way his eyes glazed over as he studies my face, the way his head moves with every brush stroke he makes, even though I am uncomfortable he makes me feel like the most important woman in the world. Breathing slowly as not to disturb my posture I imagine what it would be like to sit all day. To live as I please, with no responsibility, far away from this God-forsaken city.

As if my thoughts summoned him, Victor appeared in the doorway. A small smile played on his lips when he saw the painting. It must nearly be done.

I yearned to see my painting. To distinguish the brush strokes, to identify the individual colours.

“May I see it?” I tried not to move my mouth.

“Hush. You’ll disturb the drawing.”

“I am done for today.” Fredrick spoke while getting up. He came towards me taking the instrument from my arms and into his. I stood, setting the book on the stool I was on moments before. “Will you come again tomorrow?” He asked.

I glanced at Victor, pleaded with my eyes. “Is it not done? It looks perfectly fine to me.” He sighed “For the completion of this painting, you may have her all day tomorrow.”

“Thank you.” Fredrick gave me a curt smile and a nod, following me with his eyes as I embraced Victor.

“You best be getting changed my dear. We are meeting our parents for supper tonight. Leave this blue dress here for tomorrow. I have bought you a new outfit for this occasion.”

He handed me the dress and patted my behind, as you would a horse, telling me to hurry. I scurried off to the storeroom to change and fix my hair. I could hear the soft chatting of Fredrick and Victor outside. When I was satisfied with my appearance I returned to the studio.

***

Walking down the street at night has always unnerved me but with Victor at my side I felt safe. He guided me through the darkness, his hand at the small of my back, spreading warmth throughout me. I felt at peace, content with life. It came as a shock when Victor pushed me into an alleyway. I should have been expecting it, but the nudge knocked me off balance. He caught my wrist and spun me around to the hard wall. I groaned as my head hit the side of the building, Victor thought of it as eagerness. He lifted my skirts up at started his business. I glanced up at the stars, they seemed to shine brighter than ever before.

When he was pleased with himself we continued down the streets to my family home, walking beside each other and holding hands. We arrived late to dinner, our session in the alley lasted longer than usual. We sat beside each other, his hand on my knee, sometimes venturing up my thigh. I didn’t mind.

We enjoyed rabbit stew with vegetables, it was all my mother could afford. Our family needed my marriage to succeed. If Victor proposed, mother and I would move to Den Haag while my brother stayed behind in his trade as a fish monger.

Robert currently wasn’t working. He was tossed overboard by his captain for drinking on the wild seas. The fact that he was seeing the captain’s daughter didn’t help either.

My mother served us wine in enormous goblets. I don’t like the taste, it is far too spicy for my tastebuds. I sipped slowly at my goblet, trying to mask the fact I detest the substance. Victor loves wine, he smells it, savours the taste. He often describes the wine to me. He can talk for hours on the subject.

Victor took a huge gulp of his wine, finishing his goblet. Wiping his mouth with the back of his hand he stood up, looking down at me affectionately.

“I am very pleased to announce I have decided to make Angeline my wife. The wedding shall be held here in Delft before we return to Den Haag, to start a new life and a new family.”

My mother applauded while his parents nodded at him approvingly. I simply blushed. Victor sat back down, sliding his hand very high up my thigh, I returned the favour.

We had more wine, cheese and grapes to celebrate. Mother must have spent our remaining coins on this feast. Victor and I talked about our future together while our mothers planed the wedding.  A deafening blow sounded from the front of the house. Robert was home.

Mother and I tried to keep him away from the house while Victor and his family were around. We could not allow them to judge us upon his behaviour. His eyes were terrifying, red veins ran in all different directions, he smelt heavily of ale.

“Why didn’t you tell me we had wine? You know how much I love it!” His speech was slurred. He staggered towards the table and grabbed my goblet. He downed the remaining liquid. “Why do you have wine little sister? I know how much you hate it.” He refilled my goblet and headed upstairs.

“I’m terribly sorry about Robert. He must have had too much ale down at the tavern.” My mother laughed softly. The air in the room changed, Victor’s parents looked at each other, concern all over written on their tight faces. Victor hardly seemed to notice. He was too busy with our activities underneath the table.

***

In the early hours of the morning I was walking to Fredrick’s house. The air was cold, the clouds grey. My mind kept returning to the scene last night. Robert. If only he would listen to mother and I, he would stay out of trouble. Maybe even stop ruining my life.

I arrived at Fredrick’s numb from the cold. He lead me into the house, guiding me with a hand on my arm. We entered the studio, my blue dress hung over the stool, the painting was covered with a dark piece of material. I draped the dress over my arm and headed for the storage room. I changed quickly, not wanting to keep Fredrick waiting. He has been a dear friend of mine since our fathers died in the same accident.

Back in the studio Fredrick was waiting for me with the feathers. I went to take them from his hands.

“No, allow me.” He ran his fingers through my hair, attaching the feathers to my head one by one. I trembled at his touch, hardly daring to move. When the last of the feathers were added he took my face in his hands. “You are beautiful Angeline.” He breathed. Heat flooded my cheeks, I could not help it. I stumbled back, almost tripping on the chair. He caught my wrist and spun me around to the hard wall. I did not make a sound. I stood like this, pinned against the wall for a minute before he let me go.

“Fredrick” I breathed. I was lost for words.

“Don’t do it.” He whispered.

“Excuse me?”

“Don’t do it. Don’t marry Victor.”

“You have no business in my personal relationships Fredrick!”

“Do you know the way he talks about you? You’re a play thing! Easy! He laughs about the times he has spent with you! Tell me you haven’t been gone into an alleyway with him!” He was shouting hysterically. I didn’t know what to do. I looked to the ground. “How could you? How could you do this to me?!” He grabbed my hair and threw me against the wall.

“I have to marry Victor.” I sobbed. It was all I could say.

“Marry me instead.” He spoke softly, his eyes grew wide, hopeful.

“I can’t.” I need to escape from this city. I can no longer take care of a mother and a drunken brother. I need to be taken care of.

“Yes you can. I can take care of you, paint you.”

“No. I am marrying Victor.” He is my escape, my getaway. I can start a new life, a new family.

Fredrick turned away from me and took the material off the painting. He handed it to me.

“Take your wedding present then. I hope you think of me whenever you see it. Take it and leave. I do not wish to see you again.”

Those were the last words Fredrick said to me. Whenever I look up at the painting I do think of him. I think of his words, the feeling of his fingers throughout my hair, the way his eyes glazed over when he studied my face, the way he made me feel important. Thinking back to that very day I know I have made the right decision. The decision to support my family. I feel important now, but in a different way. I have six children to look after.

Mother pasted one year after my marriage. She never got to meet her grandchildren. Robert never got to meet them either. He found work again on a boat but was thrown overboard. This time he did not survive.

I never found out what happened to Fredrick. Word of him never reached Den Haag.

And for now and until my death, I am beside my husband in every way he needs.

© 2012 Sarah Stephen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The story is very good. I like the set-up of the opening statements. I like the description and the thoughts of the young girl. I like her drive and intelligent. Temptation can twist us up and put us into a bad position and place. I like the ending to the story. Thank you for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


Naws, I remember this. You and your not so raunchy, yet still quite risque, attempt at a sex scene (;
I loved this. :D

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

228 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 29, 2012
Last Updated on April 22, 2012
Tags: short story, Den Haag, painting

Author

Sarah Stephen
Sarah Stephen

Australia



About
Hi, I'm a young writer currently in high school studying literature, film and media. more..

Writing