Ella's Ocean

Ella's Ocean

A Story by Sarah Stephen

The sky hypnotized Ella’s mind as she envisioned the sea. The stars were tiny shells sparkling in the depths of the bluest ocean. She drew in a deep breath, which allowed her lungs to expand and her thoughts to clear.

“I don’t love you anymore.” Ella whispered. Her voice caught towards the end, and even though she whispered the devastating lie she knew Matt heard it. She felt his breathing stop. She saw the light of bliss leave his eyes. She heard the shattering of his heart smashing as hers did only yesterday.

Matt’s grip slacked on her arms and Ella turned to hide her face behind her hair, much like when she was too shy to talk to him. Her feet felt heavy but she knew she ought to move. It took all her mental strength to send a message to her legs, move! she thought. Ella sucked in a trembling breath and took a step away. Matt grabbed her shoulders, holding her straight.

“Look at me.” His tone was low, barely audible. Ella continued to gaze at the ground, the crisp grass held the indents of their bodies, a green shadow of their happiness. Ella’s shadow sprawled out as she looked at the stars above, wishing things could end differently while the love of her life rested his head on her soft mid-rift. She tousled his hair, lacing her fingers between his curls. They both lived in a state of temporary heaven and as the lovers fell, the only remaining proof of their affection was the fragile girl and the head-less boy denting the landscape.

“LOOK AT ME!” He shouted, shaking her body and causing tears to fly. She lifted her head and tilted it up. She couldn’t meet his eyes she, instead, she stared at his forehead. She allowed her eyes to become unfocused, trying to numb her brain from the knowledge that this moment, from her own words, she could never return to the safety and love of Matt’s sturdy arms.

Matt’s golden hands held Ella tight. She relished his touch, he warmth of his skin against hers. It reminded her of their first kiss, drenched from the rain. His body pressed against hers, their lips found each other in the darkness. She remembered each kiss they’d ever shared from their most passionate embraces to a light peck on the check to say good-bye. She wished that they could share one more kiss, a parting gift of sorts. Absolutely ridiculous of course, she knew Matt would never forgive her for the path she was forced to walk down. She knew that he could never understand that the only way to save him was to break him.

Matt squeezed her tighter, “why?” he asked. It was a fair question. A question that deserved a fair answer, one that would never reveal it’s self to the deprived boy. Ella had a lie at the ready, rehearsed it through her own tears and her own pain. It was the only reason she knew of that would keep Matt mad at her, keep him away from her, keep him safe from her.

© 2012 Sarah Stephen


Author's Note

Sarah Stephen
Just a snippet of something I'm writing. Any suggestions so far?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hi Sarah,
I used to write here years ago. After I'd won all the little awards and badges I seen it turning into a love fest. Not my style. I've been browsing around looking for new talented Writers. This is a good Piece. It sounds as if she is protecting Matt from getting hurt from someone who knows she's destined to break his heart eventually. My only advice is to keep spelling names the same..Matt vs Mat. Double space paragraphs. You might go deeper into who she is inside, and why she felt this was the best thing for both of them. Keep writing!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I like the way you started this thing out. It's caught my attention. Saying good bye is tough. A few little errors here and there, but nothing major.
Wouldn't it be funny if Matt turned out to be Ella's Golden Lab? Probably not. Poor Ella, leaving for college having to say good bye to her best friend. Ok, so that's pretty stupid. As far as snippets go, I thought it was pretty good. As far as suggestions go...I have none. My opinion; the best suggestions come from within.
Good luck.

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
EMF
To be honest with you, the only thing I would change so far is the font. Make it a little bigger and more defined. It is a captivating work that drew me in and made me want to read more of the story. Please let me know when you expand it. It is fascinating

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

379 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 30, 2012
Last Updated on October 18, 2012
Tags: romance, heart break, fiction

Author

Sarah Stephen
Sarah Stephen

Australia



About
Hi, I'm a young writer currently in high school studying literature, film and media. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..