Decisive

Decisive

A Story by SarahK

“I just hate the sight of blood, you know?” Leah asked, dangling her feet off her bed and looked over at her best friend who sat opposite her in an armchair.


“Okay, don't take this badly but ‘assassin’ might not be the best career choice,” Logan replied, not looking up from his hand-screen.


She sighed and continued scrolling down her own screen listing as she went, “law officer, receptionist, medic, cleaner,” she threw the device and lay with her arm over her eyes defeated. “You know, I hope I don't scan as anything and they allow me to wander the streets alone and desolate.”


“That won’t happen I’m sure they’ll find some hidden talent.”


“Says you, master of all.”


Leah and Logan had grown up together in Southern Ziron since they were processed as children, Southern Ziron was in the middle range of the economy so Leah’s room - which they currently occupied - was small but full of the necessities. She ate well but she could never imagine was kind of food is transported to the North Zirons. Soon she might be able to understand - if her chip scans her as one of a medical profession. She doubts it.


As they speculate where they will be placed career wise the walls start to flash blue as the speakers in the corners start to blare:


ALL PATRONS OF FACILITIES 14 TO 30 MUST REPORT TO COUNCIL


“Let’s go,” says Logan offering his hand to Leah to get up


“Eughhh!” Leah exclaims as she takes his hand and hesitantly gets up from the bed.


They walked out of Leah’s small quarters and joined the other graduates that were leaving their replica rooms and walking down the thin corridor, all in matching light blue blouses and dress pants.


They walked from their apartment building to a warehouse, passing nothing but empty school buildings on the dirt path they took. Leah and Logan pass the school they attended until last month. Their teacher will be present for her students scannings. After all the intelligence of her students reflects her own work. Perhaps she will be up for a promotion.


When everyone reached the large metallic building they all lined up without saying much, though there were the murmurings of excitement between groups of friends. Stoic guards lined the outside of the structure, holding their semi-automatics with an intense stare, it made Leah feel nervous.


The lines began to move and at the entrance, each person scanned their hand and the clear gates would open, Leah and Logan went through at the same time and nodded to each other before a guard all dressed in white ushered them to their separate “female” and “male” rooms.


The room was filled with small tables and two chairs, one of the chairs was left empty and on the other sat a government official, with their tidy hair and gold trimmed uniform. The empty seats were filling up with the youth and Leah took her own seat in the left corner of the room.

There was a device in the centre of the table that looked like bright white box laying on its side.


“Please place your hand inside the scanner and do not take it out until I say so” The official informed Leah. She slowly placed her hand inside the gadget and instantly there was a slight buzzing noise and then a sharp beep

“You may remove now,” She said looking at her screen now, “Leah.”


Leah remained silent as she waited with anticipation what the official would tell her.

Finally, there was another sharp beep and the woman looked back at Leah, “I’m glad to report that you will be branched in the military unit… you will be an assassin”


“Well, s**t.”

© 2018 SarahK


Author's Note

SarahK
I have never done anything like this before so please let me know of anything that was done well or I need to improve

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Enjoyed this. You keep it simple and easy to read, building on the drama and anticipation. The conversation drags the plot along well. You transition sails smoothly into the totalitarian nature of their society -- one in which assassin apparently is a common job title. (We have those these days, but we are far too sophisticated to admit it). Nice twist at the end. Should make a fine screen play, but it will need a few more characters and subplots.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Can’t wait to see the sequel. :):)

Verse

Posted 5 Years Ago


Enjoyed this. You keep it simple and easy to read, building on the drama and anticipation. The conversation drags the plot along well. You transition sails smoothly into the totalitarian nature of their society -- one in which assassin apparently is a common job title. (We have those these days, but we are far too sophisticated to admit it). Nice twist at the end. Should make a fine screen play, but it will need a few more characters and subplots.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A few grammatical errors here and there but that's a very small issue, but good descriptions. Definitely looking forward to reading more of this story.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SarahK

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
If you are following a dream, you are doing nothing wrong

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SarahK

5 Years Ago

Very true, wise words


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

318 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 19, 2018
Last Updated on June 19, 2018
Tags: future, dystopian, friends, girl

Author

SarahK
SarahK

About
I have come across a lot of spare time recently and thus I have now a lot of time to focus on something that intrigued me when I was 13: Creative writing. I hope you enjoy. more..

Writing
Day Minus Three Day Minus Three

A Chapter by SarahK


Day Minus Two Day Minus Two

A Chapter by SarahK


Day Minus One Day Minus One

A Chapter by SarahK



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..