My trip to the VA hospital

My trip to the VA hospital

A Story by Sammie
"

Telling of my adventure in the waiting room

"
1
The waiting room is quiet only a few voices can be heard at a low whisper. People walk in and out no one really stays long. No longer than a five or six minutes before they are called away for appointments.
It seems very friendly though. Very positive atmosphere so anxieties are not high.
Just waiting....
Waiting is such a daunting task but necessary of all evils. Just here to support my friend.
2
Laughs to myself. There is really not much I would refuse to do help a friend.
So I hope I am seen as a good friend and not a door mat. Hmmm... Scratches head. May be that is something that I need not to question but to know for certainty.
3
Or then again may be I just worry to much. Worrying is never a good thing. I hear it can make one look a lot older than they truly are. Wow with all the years of worrying I have done I wonder how old I do look?
4
Minutes pass by and still I wait. I am really not a patient person or not as patient as I wish 🌠 to be. Patience may be a virtue but it is one I was never blessed with.
5
Oh darn I am running low on my combos. Lucky for me I brought my drink.
6
He held my hand he actually held my hand a couple times. Made me smile. I feel good. Because he could have asked any one to go and he asked me. Said it was a date. Pretty amazing he is. We don't really talk much but when we do it is something meaningful.
7
Doors open a hopeful sparkle in my eyes and they close again. Still no sign of my friend.
When will I see him again? Hmmmm will they ever let him go? I hope so because he is my ride home and I am unsure what I would tell his wonderful mom.
8
I can hear the conversation now. Ring ring ring
"Hi sweet pea. What are you doing"
"Oh not to much but I have something I need to tell you."
"What is it?"
"Well you see I was sitting in the waiting room they called him back to see the doctor and well they are closed now and I have no idea where he is."
9
Haha that would be a wonderfully horrible conversation to have with my friend's mom. I personally don't want to be the one to have to make it though. He will come out soon. Or rather as soon as he can.
10
So I will wait. Wait as long as it takes. Because my friend, well he is counting on me. And I don't want to let him down. I appreciate him. I hope he appreciates me as well.
Tick tock... tick... tock..., says the second hand on the clock. Tick tock tick tock, there is no way to make it stop. But I don't want to make time stand still.
11
I would twiddle my finger but then I would stop typing my silly story here of my experience to the VA.
12
Oh I didn't tell you about the man I met. He is a veteran of the US Army though he is retired now. Friendly man he is. I told him my name and he told me his. We had some small talk as I waited for my friend. That was the first time.
13
When he got done we went and got something to eat. Some salad and chips and a cold drink to quench our thirst.
As the moments pass I keep pressing on with in writing. I have written almost 600 words. I can hardly believe that in all my ramblings I can think so many different thought. But my brain is always going and going and going. It is not a wonder I can't sleep much.
14
There are more people in the waiting room now. Waiting like me. Well maybe not exactly like me because I am waiting on my friend.
He went back behind that door. Other people are coming out but not him. Wonder oh I wonder what they are doing to him. He did say he was not looking forward to talking to doctors. What kind that I am unclear of. All I do know is that I am here on a special mission. I am waiting on my friend.
15
The waiting room is starting to empty again. But still there is no sign of my friend. At least not yet.
I knew there would be a lot of waiting but still I said okay I will come. Because he asked me to accompany him. Who says that, accompany me beside Bob Sager he sang some day baby your accompany me. Ya that is a good song.
. 16
It has nearly been an hour since they called him back. And I began my journey of waiting. 801 words I have rambled on here. So far. Not too bad. Imagine all the random texts I could have sent but instead I decided to write about my trip to the VA. All the way in Columbia.
17
The noise is starting to get louder now. But I am not concerned it will only be brief. Like I said no one stays in this room long. Unless it is me and the people that work here.
Another person is going back behind the door that ate my friend. I keep looking but I don't see any hint of my him.
I saw his legs but he walked deeper into the pit that ate him. Hopefully, hopefully he will be able to come back out those every doors that ate him. Oh so long ago. Haha it has only been a little over an hour. So here I am. I wait and I wait and I wait. Because I am a good friend.
18
I see some familiar faces return here and there. Some smiles and a giggle. I am very fascinated by this place. It is so cool to see people of every branch of the military still with such honor and holding themselves tall. I imagine it has been like this their whole military life though. Being processed here and there. Waiting for this and for that. Oh dang I am nearly through with my combos. I have eaten them all up. And my tea supply is getting low.
But it is okay. I have faith. I will get more. Once he comes back on this side of the door that ate him.
19
Oh how great it would be to take a nap. But noooo here I sit waiting and waiting. Becoming noticed in the waiting room by the receptionist folk. Now that is slightly awkward. Although I do believe I will live.
20
Nearly two hours where is that boy???
3:10 pm he lives. I see him!!!
The End of my trip to the VA.

© 2016 Sammie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hello Sammie, I think you have described the experience very well... Lots of details about the time you have spent there... Waiting is a daunting task specially in places like that where you hardly know what's coming next and what the news is... The waiting then becomes very tough... I loved the way you added some fun into it... A very good share of your experience frnd...

I have some suggestions, I'm guessing that you didn't edit this piece and kept it just the way you have written it... I would suggest you to divide it into small paragraphs, use coma, and give spaces a bit more... I believe it will very well then, it will give the reader to focus on what he is reading... I hope you understand frnd... I want this piece to be the way it deserves to be... I hope you don't mind my suggestions frnd...

Sincerely with love
Dhiman

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sammie

7 Years Ago

My friend I appreciate the comment. I agree I will take some time and see where I can break it up at.. read more



Reviews

OK, I am sort of with you. I am reading along, enjoying your train of thought, then you tell us, it's been a whole hour. l
Seriously laughed! He's never coming back, I'll have to tell his mom.
I love the train of thought and I feel like with a bit of polishing, but not too much, still want it to feel spontaneous, it could be excellent

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sammie

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the review. Glad you enjoyed it
Hello Sammie, I think you have described the experience very well... Lots of details about the time you have spent there... Waiting is a daunting task specially in places like that where you hardly know what's coming next and what the news is... The waiting then becomes very tough... I loved the way you added some fun into it... A very good share of your experience frnd...

I have some suggestions, I'm guessing that you didn't edit this piece and kept it just the way you have written it... I would suggest you to divide it into small paragraphs, use coma, and give spaces a bit more... I believe it will very well then, it will give the reader to focus on what he is reading... I hope you understand frnd... I want this piece to be the way it deserves to be... I hope you don't mind my suggestions frnd...

Sincerely with love
Dhiman

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sammie

7 Years Ago

My friend I appreciate the comment. I agree I will take some time and see where I can break it up at.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

187 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 5, 2016
Last Updated on July 9, 2016
Tags: Friend, Waiting, Smiles

Author

Sammie
Sammie

Urbana, MO



About
I am an avid reader and aspiring writer. I have spent many of summers going on vacations to distance lands described of in books. I am 31, from the Midwest. I enjoy things most every one does, movie.. more..

Writing
prophecy prophecy

A Chapter by Sammie


Preface Preface

A Chapter by Sammie