Chapter One: An Aura of Darkness.....

Chapter One: An Aura of Darkness.....

A Chapter by RedRozeNinja13

Nobody could really tell you when Muortum was created, or when it’s existence began. It’s a bit difficult to put a date on something like that, isn’t it? Could you tell me the exact date earth was created? Of course not, because time in itself did not exist then. A difficult concept to grasp, but a necessary one. If you are to survive in Muortum, you have to have a habit of making sense out of what is senseless.

Even though nobody can tell when it’s existence began, it has a history of it’s own. Just like any world. Just as any creation would. But, in our world, many of it’s citizens are ‘immortal’, as humans would say. We aren’t truly immortal, nothing ever is, but we do have very prolonged life spans. Hence our history is more ‘stretched out’, in a simpler way of putting it. While long, it is short in comparison to the complicated human history, our ruler has not changed nearly as many times, and there are only five districts. Five districts that, at times, can seem very adverse and pig-headed. Stubborn to the very core definition of that word, but the five districts still remain as one, and still function as one, living in our anarchy in a sort of balance.

Let me clarify something right now, there is darkness, and then there is evil. People don’t like darkness, it makes them uncomfortable and blind, and often ignites a primal fear deep inside that humans can not describe or reason with. Darkness is absolute and is only held at bay by the light- But darkness is not evil. Darkness will never be the correct way to describe evil. We live in a world that feeds off of and lives in eternal darkness. Does that make us evil? I should think not. Evil is what sends that mind-numbing chill up your spine, the soulless existence that makes you tremble from head to toe, Evil is unforgivable. We live in eternal darkness, but we are not evil. Have we done some unforgivable things in the past? Yes. But so does every person, and perhaps before you judge you should consider what you would do trapped in an existence where the light of day hurts you, where pleasures in your life are far and few between, where you are easily dismissed as ‘things of fairy tales’, as ‘evil’ and ‘hideous’. Can you imagine how it feels to protect people who are so cruel to you? Well, It’s a chore. To say the least.

Just to be sure you’ve ‘caught my drift’ as they say, Darkness is not necessarily Evil.

In Muortum, there are people, just as there would be in any realm. And people, no matter where you go, will always have the same needs, desires, and emotions. (Except me, I struggle with the concept of ‘Emotions’, but we’ll cover that at a later date.) My ‘friend’, if I am permitted to call her that, is Megan Azalea. Her hair is red like blood, and she’s quite the hot head. Her emotions often run rampant, and sometimes blind her to what is right in front of her. She is a slayer, as am I, and indeed that was how we met. In Slayer Academy. District 3 to be exact. Originally, Megan was from District 5, but she moved, relocated, was transferred, take your pick. District 5 is often called the “Irish district” Because, to put it in simple terms, it rests above the Vietellam country of Ireland. District 4 is the “UK district”, District 3 the “French district”, District 2 the “Arctic district” and District 1 the “American district”. I never said we were creative with naming our districts. We call it as we see it.

I met Megan when I was a girl, a girl years younger than I am now. Not a ‘little girl’ persay in the name of years, but little in other ways. Little, and very, very angry, very, very hurt……..

I was around 7 ½ years young when I met Megan Azalea. I remember her, because she had hair the color of blood- and such a bright and seductive color seemed to whisper my name, it seemed to call me and beckon me to go and pull it, or chop it off. I was a very troubled child, most Slayers were. In a world where all we see are hues of black, white, and grey, a little color goes a long way. Especially towards captivating the interest of sadistic little children. Megan was new, strange, and her hair was such a brilliant color- I would have been a fool not to at least try and talk to her. And so I did. From that day forth, We have been ‘Friends’. Or at least what I imagine something of that sort would be.

The color of blood, is a very powerful color, especially when being taken in by a half-vampiric child. As far as children in the Slayer Academy system go, I was particularly odd. Particularly scary. Particularly dark. I was upset, hurt, angry- but not in the ‘watch me scream and yell at the world’ sort of way. It was in a silent way. I never said a word against my teachers, my mentors, and yet even in such a painful and sinister system, they were afraid of me. The damaged little girl with only one eye. But that eye, oh that one eye, it was enough to frighten even the most foolish of souls, even the bravest of hearts. I didn’t laugh. I didn’t smile. I hardly ever talked at all, unless it was to answer a question. I stared with that one eye, and it would send shivers up the spine of anyone who had a soul, it would chill the blood of anything that had it running through it’s veins. I never meant them harm...but they were scared of me. I never fully understood why. It wasn’t them I was upset with, and I was hurt in a way I couldn’t blame any of them for- and yet they, even the ones supposed to make me afraid, they were scared of me. Only a child.

Megan called me “Aura”. A nickname, my first nickname. Megan was the only one that I believe never truly feared me, other than my Mistress Kay. She was my teacher, and, after my dark and horrifying past (From what I remember) was the only person to take me in, to take me under her wing.

My past is still blurry to me, and yet it defines me. I cannot remember much of it, but what I do remember- I do not like. I do not like it at all…..

A beautiful woman’s corpse, drenched in blood, her head in my lap, my small lap, probably only two or three years old- I couldn’t have understood what was happening. Even now, from what I know, I probably would not have understood what was happening. There was the terrible color of blood on white, turning everything red…..red lace, seeping darker and darker, staining the front of an absolutely darling dress…… There was blinding pain, as an eye was shredded and torn from it’s socket. Claws. Teeth. Raking down the side of a flawless innocent face. There were screams, and the sound of my own little heart pounding in my ears, of sobs working up my chest. The mortification as you realize that you will never be able to see half of the world again. The light, that hurts you in large doses, and yet you strive to see, you yearn to see- even the little that there was, you will only see half of now. The screaming of a little boy, somewhere beyond my vision. “Who is he?” I have often wondered, “What is he?”, but I have never been able to answer my own questions. If I can’t- then it is likely that nobody can. There is the pain and agony of waiting, the woman’s head in my lap, as someone, something, beat the door down. And then- there is the blurry silhouette of a man’s face just before it all fades to black.  

I assume I am an orphan. That my parents died that night, that nightmarish night that I only ever see glimpses of. Even in a world where we tell Edgar Allen Poe as bedtime stories- my story is one that will never dare pass a mother’s lips to her child. Perhaps out of fear, that if she does say, if she does recount the truths of my life, the same will happen to her, and her children. I hear them, the children, “Why does that lady wear an eyepatch?”, or “Why won’t she smile, papa?”. I turn to look at them, but before I can say a word the protective parents have ushered their children away, tossing me worried, dirty glances. Even among the odd, the outcasts, the world of death- I am an outcast. I will never belong. My eye will never see light, and I will never be able to regain what has been lost. It is a fact of life, that one cannot regain what has been so completely and utterly destroyed.

My name is Aurora Nightingale.


And I will always be surrounded by an Aura of Darkness…….


© 2013 RedRozeNinja13


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

O.O This is really good. It has a lot of imagery since I can like vividly see what is going on as she said nad it. and I can so See the Blood-Red hair of Megan. This is another TRULY AMAZINGLY written piece of work, and I can not wait to have more chapters.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A lot of personal dialogue which is good. "O.O This is really good. It has a lot of imagery since I can like vividly see what is going on as she said nad it. and I can so See the Blood-Red hair of Megan. This is another TRULY AMAZINGLY written piece of work, and I can not wait to have more chapters. "
Nuff said



Posted 10 Years Ago


A lot of personal dialogue which is good. "O.O This is really good. It has a lot of imagery since I can like vividly see what is going on as she said nad it. and I can so See the Blood-Red hair of Megan. This is another TRULY AMAZINGLY written piece of work, and I can not wait to have more chapters. "
Nuff said



Posted 10 Years Ago


An excellent chapter, and I love how you explain more about Aurora. With the fact of explaining that she can't simply remember her past makes her seem more mysterious then she actually is. With the fact that she looks different makes her an outcast, I suppose. This is a good chapter and I love how you ended it with: "My name is Aurora Nightingale.



And I will always be surrounded by an Aura of Darkness……."

I love the imagery used in this chapter. I can easily see the red of Megan's hair, and what she described in what little bit she had for memories of her childhood. This is a well written chapter.


Posted 10 Years Ago


I truly love how similar we see the world. We both have death as a man of balance and how we see the darkness. I respect and love your writing. Remember to never think badly of bad reviews. They are signs to help you grow into a great writer. I am certainly looking forward to reading how your story grows. I as well hope to our friendship grow as well. Maybe we can help each other with our stories some day. until then i wish the best and hope to further see you as a writer.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I enjoyed this one. I am eager for the plot to move, to see what happens next. I am happy to know her name now, that was a pretty cool piece of suspense. I have one specific comment: It is said to never use the word "very." In general, there were a few clunky spots, but the meat of the chapter is solid stuff. I look forward to the next installment.



Posted 10 Years Ago


RedRozeNinja13

10 Years Ago

Perhaps my punctuation didn't do justice to the way it formulated in my head. It was meant to read .. read more
I really loved the statement about how the darkness is not necessarily evil. It's true.
I think it flowed wonderfully, and you didn't put to much information to make it seemed crammed. There was enough information about who her friend was, the darkness, and the district to keep me wondering. (I don't really like books that cram a whole bunch of information in the first chapter xD) But yours is nothing like that!
Your detailing was amazing, I could picture it in my mind. I think theres a lot you could do with this, so I cannot wait to read more.
I really found this intriguing and I hope to read more!!!!
Awesome write!

Posted 10 Years Ago


ERMAGERD. I love this!!! Better than any other write, in my opinion. (But that's mine)

I love the flow of this. Everything just matches up and makes sense and it's not choppy like it would be if I wrote it. Fantastico!

Posted 10 Years Ago


RedRozeNinja13

10 Years Ago

Thank you. Mah good buddeh. I really am quite proud of how I wrapped it together with the last few l.. read more
EmaleighLynn

10 Years Ago

I know, my computer is the same way.
Your writing is very impressive. I loved the story line. A few grammatical errors, but that can be easily fixed. I think you should consider getting this incredible work of art published and definitely keep writing!!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


RedRozeNinja13

10 Years Ago

I apologize for grammatical errors, my keyboard likes to skip letters and sometimes I'm just absent .. read more
O.O This is really good. It has a lot of imagery since I can like vividly see what is going on as she said nad it. and I can so See the Blood-Red hair of Megan. This is another TRULY AMAZINGLY written piece of work, and I can not wait to have more chapters.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

651 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 21, 2013
Last Updated on October 26, 2013
Tags: fantasy, supernatural, monsters, demons, darkness, violence, slayer, hunter, romance, drama


Author

RedRozeNinja13
RedRozeNinja13

Columbia, SC



About
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell. It occurred to me that it was time for this little oddball to update her profile, you know? Lots of things have changed....and not all of them are good, in fact- hardly any a.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by RedRozeNinja13



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Fish Market Fish Market

A Poem by zainul