The Bad Habit

The Bad Habit

A Story by Savannah
"

"Cigarette & Perfume" contest entry.

"

            She had just settled into her chair on the first day of the semester when he came through the doorway.

            He had a blank look on his face: one of those “too-cool” types. He began walking down the aisle and it wasn’t long before the stench of cigarette smoke hit her nostrils. It was him, he reeked of it.

            Subconsciously, a part of her was disappointed, because subconsciously, she judged him. She ranked up a point in favor of not liking this guy, because she had determined months ago that she would not date another smoker. The other relationships with smokers had ended poorly, leading her to realize that she could never marry a smoker. She’d always wanted to smoke, like the rest of her family, and she thought it looked cool. She always talked herself out of taking that first inhale, though, for various reasons. She had an amazing singing voice with spectacular range; and after three years of braces, perfect teeth. She didn’t to mess either of those things up by becoming a smoker. And the more she was around it, the more she felt swayed to indulge, and she knew she couldn’t go through with living with that for the rest of her life.

            The teacher divided the class into groups, and the smoker was in hers. He’d placed himself in the desk right behind her.

            The class was about creative writing, and over the weeks, the smoker came in day after day proving himself to be a better writer and a more charming person than the week before.

            The two began talking outside of class, and one day, she disclosed she was heading to the mall to buy a gift for her best friend, and asked if he would like to come along.

            It was the first time she saw him—or rather, smelled him—when he didn’t reek of cigarette smoke. They, ironically, picked out some perfume for her friend, and walked into the parking lot.

            The conversation led to his smoking, and he flinched. “Ah. She brought up the bad habit,” he said. “I’m trying to quit.”

            I’ve heard that one before, she thought.

            Eight months later, they were in the best and happiest relationship either of them had ever experienced…and although he had cut back on smoking and rarely did it in front of her, he did still smoke.

            And nonetheless, she loved him. Bad habit and all.

© 2009 Savannah


Author's Note

Savannah
BE HONEST! What can be better about this?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

this needs a lot of work. it's too short and its not well developed. good luck.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I rally enjoyed this story. :) can't really put my finger on it some grammar things in there but besides that maybe some more detail before jumping to the mall scene. Big gap in there and finding out how they grew to like each other so much is important. Besides that good write. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 18, 2009

Author

Savannah
Savannah

MO



About
I'm an amateur young writer who prefers happy endings. more..

Writing
J.N.P. J.N.P.

A Poem by Savannah


Hatred Hatred

A Story by Savannah