Chapter three

Chapter three

A Chapter by SimplyDisastrous

Chapter three:

The newest maid, Martha, was sleeping when she heard a bloodcurdling scream from outside. She sprang up so fast out of her bed that her robe blew out behind her and the rollers in her hair fell and scattered to the ground. The scream sounded again and that's when she knew she really had to move. And fast.

When she was finally down down the stairs, she ripped open the front door to Mr. and Mrs. Thatcher's mansion and standing there on their front step was Mrs. Jenkins, the next door neighbor.

"Mrs. Jen--" Martha started but she was silenced by the dry sobs of Mrs. Jenkins.

"My dog!" Mrs. Jenkins sobbed, fanning her face furiously as if it were that hot. "My Fee Fee!"

Confused, and a little annoyed that this was what she had been screaming for, Martha said, "Your pet?"

Mrs. Jenkins glared at her. "Yes, my pet, you...you nimrod! Who else?"

Unbelievable, Martha sighed. Out loud, she faked sincerely and asked, "What happened?"

"Fee Fee's been poisoned!" Mrs. Jenkins stressed, clutching her chest. "Poisoned".

Well, It's about time, Martha thought...or she thought she had thought it, but the enraged look on the elderly neighbor's face suggested otherwise.

"What?" Mrs. Jenkins face had practically grown purple with emotion. "Excuse me?"

"What?" All Martha could do was pretend she hadn't said anything. If she didn't, she was sure it would cost her her job. And everything she owned.

Mrs. Jenkins pushed past her into the house, looking out frantically. "Alright," She said. "Where is she?"

"Who?"

"You know who I'm  talking about! Where is that measly little mistake of a--"

Mrs. Jenkins stopped talking as Veronica came into the room, still in her black PJ's, dragging a teddy bear with one missing eye on the floor. She was rubbing her eyes, yawning faintly, a small frown on her sweet angelic face.

"What's," Veronica paused to yawned. "Wrong?"

"Angel, why don't you go on back up to bed? This has nothing to do with you," Martha tried shooing the little girl back up the stairs but Mrs. Jenkins just wouldn't have it. In fact, she walked to where the little girl was and seized her by her arm.

"What did you you do to my Fee Fee?" Mrs. Jenkins yelled into her face, shaking her by her little shoulders. "What?"

"Stop it!" Martha screamed, pulled a crying Veronica apart from her. "Just stop it!"

"Why should I?" Mrs. Jenkins didn't take her eyes off of Veronica, not for a second, as she came closer. "She poisoned Fee Fee! Killed her!"

"Kill-ed," Veronica enunciated slowly with wide eyes. "Fee Fee?"

"Don't act like you don't know what happened, you little mutt! I saw you!"

"Saw me what?" Veronica blinked, backing up into Martha even further, scared.

By that time, the elderly lady's face had gown dark red and she couldn't take it anymore. She grabbed Veronica by the arm again, but this time, with more force.

"Stop! You're hurting me!" Veronica cried, tried to break free but she couldn't. Her grip seemed to be tightening more and more by the second.

"I know you killed Fee Fee! I saw you!"

"Mrs. Jenkins, let go of her!" Martha yelled, trying to pry her fingers free from the young girl's arm. "Let go or I'll call the police!"

"I saw her with my Fee Fee yesterday afternoon!" Mrs. Jenkins continued to scream, a hand still wrapped around Veronica's arm. "I just know this little brat had something to do with this!"

"Mrs. Jenkins," Martha said firmly. "Unhand the little girl and I wont be forced to call the police!"

With that said and done, Mrs. Jenkins seemed to come to her sense, for she quickly let go of Veronica, and looked around as if seeing her surroundings for the very first time. But then, she jabbed a sharp finger in the little girls face, warning her of vengeance.

"This isn't over," She said in a low voice, still stabbing a finger in Veronica's face. "You'll pay for killing Fee Fee".

"That's it!" Martha went over to the phone in the middle of the room and took it off of it's receiver. "I'm calling the police. This has gone on long enough!"

To Veronica, she added swiftly, "Sweetie, go on up to bed. Let me handle this".

But then there was nothing to handle. Mrs. Jenkins had already flown out the door.

Before Martha could put down the phone, and before Veronica was halfway up the stairs, Mr. and Mrs. Thatcher had hurried out of their room, brushing off sleep.

"What is going on out here?" Mrs. Thatcher yawned. "There was an awful lot of screaming down here".

Mr. Thatcher, wide awake now, swept Veronica into his arms and began showering her with kisses, much to her delight. "Muffin, are you all right?" He asked, searching her face frantically for any sign of scars or damage. "I could've sworn I heard you scream".

"Martha, what happened?" Mrs. Thatcher questioned. "Did something happen?"

Veronica and Martha exchanged short, quick glances. After a mental agreement between the two, Martha smiled. "What? No, of course not!" She lied. "Veronica and I were just having a spot of tea when...when she tripped, is all".

"Tea..." Mr. Thatcher said with suspicion in his voice. "At this time of morning?"

While Martha stuttered and struggled to catch herself, Veronica took her father's face in her tiny hands so he would look at her.

"Daddy," She murmured. "It's alright. I'm fine". When he gave her a look, she added, "Really, Daddy. Honest".

It hurt her to lie to her father but it was for the best, she decided. If he knew what had really happened, what she had done to create such commotion, she was sure he would think her a monster and leave her.

And, who would want that?


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones



© 2010 SimplyDisastrous


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This just keeps getting better and better. And I have one little, insignificant question, if you don't mind my asking. Is Fee Fee a poodle? Fee Fee sounds like a very poodle-ish name. Haha, but really, another god job. Veronica is really starting to remind me of Esther from 'Orphan', but Veronica still has very original qualities that set her apart. Looking forward to chapter 4!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

this just keeps getting better and better. You have writen this chapter very well. you word it oh so well.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Still very creepy. I think you mean "stopped to yawn" Veronica has some very odd tendencies. Does she come by it by nature or by some sort of mental illness?

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The story is getting more interesting by the chapter. The girl seem cold and listless. I like this chapter. The neighbor best be careful dealing with a evil young child. A outstanding chapter. Thank you.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow! This is definitely a great read! And an even better write! I love your descriptions!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

How old is she?

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

when i read this. it was just like bam. and the mrs jenkins is sooo pissed. like how the father is very very clueless. good description of her feelings and by her i mean veronica.

Posted 13 Years Ago


As always, awesome job. This keeps getting more intense, and yet creepy (in a good way) at the same time.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I agree with Shayna. This is really good. I'm guessing Fee Fee is a little, annoying, yappy dog (just my observation because the name sounds like that kind of dog.)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I meant 'good job'. Sorry for that little typing error, haha.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This just keeps getting better and better. And I have one little, insignificant question, if you don't mind my asking. Is Fee Fee a poodle? Fee Fee sounds like a very poodle-ish name. Haha, but really, another god job. Veronica is really starting to remind me of Esther from 'Orphan', but Veronica still has very original qualities that set her apart. Looking forward to chapter 4!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

559 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 24, 2010
Last Updated on June 24, 2010


Author

SimplyDisastrous
SimplyDisastrous

Hartford, CT



About
Hey. I used to be on here alot when I was 15. Now, not so much. I'm 18 now and I'm not nearly as depressing as I used to be, but still depressing enough. Message me and feel free to read my old poems... more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..