My Scoliosis Story

My Scoliosis Story

A Story by ScolioticWarrior
"

This is my scoliosis story, just thought i'd share!

"

Hey Guys!


I have scoliosis.



Scoliosis is abnormal curvature of the spine.


I was diagnosed with scoliosis in December of 2009 after  my x-rays were taken and closely analyzed. At the time the smallest curvature of my spine was 19 degrees and the larger curvature was just over 20 degrees. Shortly after the diagnoses I met up with Dr.B to start discussing back braces and other treatments. We decided and pursued a back brace. The process was long, but we finally went to another hospital for the creation of my new back brace which I would wear for 20 hours everyday for a year. (The purpose of a back brace is to slow down or hopefully stop the progression of the curvature of the spine.)


At the other hospital, they had me lie down on a table as they put plaster over my body to make a cast for my new back brace. I felt like a paper mashe project. They were very precise and careful, they applied pressure to the points they wanted the back brace to focus more on.( They use ''pressure'' points to keep the progression of the curvature from getting worse.) I was given the actual brace in July(2010), it was very uncomfortable to wear and difficult to move in, but I had faith that it would help. 


There was a miscommunication  and misunderstanding with at one of the meetings with Dr.B. Dr.B wanted us to make an appointment with her that September, to follow up on my progress with the brace and decide whether or not to continue wearing it. When we finally realized, and pursed to get into contact with her,her office was closed, and Christmas time was approaching. By the time we   tried to get into contact with her it was too late.I didn't end up seeing her until that February (2011). 


Shortly after, we found out that the brace had helped but since I had grown out of it, I had to pursue another one. That July, I got my new back brace despite my hesitation because of my frequent growth spurts. When I was given back brace #2 I had already grown out of it, but I still had to wear it 20 hours a day. It was both uncomfortable and difficult during the hot summer of 2011. I had trouble breathing with the back brace on because it wasn't my size and the heat made it worse. I decided to stop wearing it, despite protesting from others in my life. I would only wear it when I felt I should, not the length of time I was told to wear it.


 In February of 2012  I got x-rays done, saw Dr.B and told her all about it. She was not very happy,  and I was upset with what she told me. My curve had increased dramatically and she said it wasn't my fault. Later she told me my greatest fear, she told me that bracing would no longer be necessary and that I should seriously consider surgery. She gave me a referral to meet with the surgeon, Dr. Peterson. I was devastated. I met Dr.Peterson in March, we discussed the surgery, and we asked alot of questions. The surgeon was very kind and had a way about him that made you feel safe and secure. He had a very healing vibe about him. I was content with him, but I wanted to explore other options.


Later,I was given another appointment to tell him my decision and discuss it further. I looked into another surgeon that was farther away, but a family member had a successful surgery with him. Though I was content with Dr.Peterson I resisted to accept this as reality and tried to find every other treatment option available. At one of our meetings I told Dr. Peterson we were looking at other options he looked hurt. I hadn't realized or accepted that deep down I knew he was the surgeon for me if I were to say yes. I knew deep down that he was meant to do this surgery for me, I just didn't want to accept it. 


Later on, I was told I had until July (2012) to decide whether or not I was perusing surgery, I kept procrasting and avoiding thinking about it. I didn't want to make the decision. I had alot going on at home and in most aspects of  my life and I really didn't want to make this decision. Stress, anxiety and emotions were at a all time high, with school,exams,drama, and all the stress and drama back at home. When I finally got myself to a place to think about the surgery, it was extremely overwhelming and I couldn't think about it without breaking down. I had spent 3 years trying to prevent this as becoming a option and now it was my ONLY option besides waiting which wouldn't help anybody and would just make it worse.It was probably one of the hardest decisions ever put in front of me. I was terrified of everything about it, and that fear is what I kept avoiding facing. I was petrified, overwhelmed and completely stressed out. I finally made a decision last minute, I said 'yes'. My Mom immediately called the surgeon's office and told them my decision. This was a hard moment for me, I know I decided my own fate, but all the unknowns were terrifying.


I had another meeting with my surgeon in the fall of 2012, we discussed any other questions we had, but it was mostly him informing us on everything. Preparing for surgery, any type of surgery is a long and lengthy process I learned. 


I go back to the hospital again until my pre - op appointment a week before my surgery date in December of 2012. During this appointment I met with a Child Life Specialist who walked me through what surgery day would be like and eased my worries.We discussed my fears and worries. We had many questions for  her and wrote down everything that was said and discussed. Next, I saw a nurse who  checked my vitals, asked me questions and discussed  with us how to get prepared for surgery, what to bring, what to do, when to stop eating/drinking and when to be at the hospital. Then I met an anesthesiologist to discuss drugs and the anesthesia. 


The Days leading up to my surgery day were long,full of both fear and anxiety. But I stayed strong, I was determined that I was going to face this. No, it wasn't easy,even with my found strength I was afraid. But fear can be courage in disguise, sometimes that fear is what keeps you alive, sometimes fear is courage.


The Night before my surgery we drove up to the city where I would be having my surgery.My Mom, Dad and I got a room at a fancy hotel nearby the hospital.  My Mom and I had a rest from the long drive while waiting for Dad to meet us at the hotel. Then We got a phone call, it was Dad. He got a phone call from my surgeon saying that my surgery date could be 'bumped up' because of a limited number of rooms in ICU. We wouldn't find out if I was having the surgery until the morning. This was both disappointing and kind of aggravating if it weren't to happen, My Dad worked very hard to get my surgery date off and people at work were already trying to take his day off from him. This worried my Mom and My Dad we didn't know when we would be able to get another surgery date and Mom took alot of time off work for my recovery. Dad got to the hotel room and while we were waiting for him My Mom and I went swimming at the hotel(my last swim for many months). Dad came down to the pool while talking to my brother on his cell, sick at home with Grandma. He had been so sick Mom hadn't gotten a proper 'goodbye' before we left and she was heartbroken over it. It was very nice to hear from my brother and Grandmother and it rested some of Mom's worries. After we went swimming, we went out for a nice dinner and we had a fun,relaxing night. 


The morning of my surgery was a morning full of adrenaline, worry, anxiety and excitement. I was very excited, I didn't know why, but I was still very,very nervous. We quickly packed up everything at the hotel and loaded it into the car. Dad leaded the way to the hospital, as we drove threw the city I was jumping up and down in the car seat with excitement. I kept texting my boyfriend throughout the journey, despite that fact it was 6am and I had been up since 4am.

© 2013 ScolioticWarrior


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

265 Views
Added on January 18, 2013
Last Updated on January 18, 2013
Tags: scoliosis, recovery, help, pain, healing, back, pills, doctors, surgery, hospitals

Author

ScolioticWarrior
ScolioticWarrior

Canada



About
Hey I'm Scoliotic Warrior! I'm a writer, a poet, an artist, a photographer, and a Scoliotic! I'm one month post op from scoliosis surgery. I'm doing reallly well and if anyone needs someone to .. more..